ITVX (ITV Hub) not working with a VPN in 2024: tried and tested fixes
ITVX is a popular streaming platform that is attractive to users worldwide. Unfortunately, it imposes restrictions and only allows users with UK IP addresses to access it. Luckily, you can trick the platform using a reliable VPN. But what should you do if you encounter ITVX not working with a VPN?
The VPN may not work because ITVX can detect it like other streaming sites. Therefore, we decided to put up a list of 10 tested and proven fixes. So, let’s get down to business so you can solve your issue in no time!
Why ITV Hub is not working with a VPN?
ITV Hub not working with a VPN is a common issue, especially if you’re not using a well-performing VPN. However, there are a bunch of reasons, so let’s explore them:
- ITV discovered you’re outside the UK. If you’ve tried to access ITVX without a VPN or with a VPN that doesn’t hide your actual location, the platform has probably saved a cookie or cache related to your IP address.
- ITVX has blocklisted the VPN server you’re using. ITVX, like many other streaming platforms, maintains lists of IP addresses associated with known VPN services. In short, the VPN won’t work when a connection attempt is made from an IP address on this list.
- Your IP address and GPS location don’t match. If you use a VPN but forget to change your GPS location, you may be blocked from ITVX. This is because the streaming platform can detect differences in the location which it finds suspicious.
- IP address leaks. VPNs sometimes leak this information, revealing your actual IP and location. ITVX may monitor for such leaks and use them as indicators for VPN usage.
- Your chosen VPN service can’t bypass geo-restrictions. Some poor-quality VPN services are simply incapable of bypassing geographical restrictions no matter what. This will prevent you from accessing ITV Hub and other streaming services.
- Behavioral analysis. ITVX may analyze user behavior to identify patterns consistent with VPN usage. For example, rapid changes in IP addresses or multiple logins from the same IP address to different accounts in a short span may indicate VPN use.
- VPN server issues. Lastly, your VPN server may not unblock ITVX, although it is in the UK.
VPNs that work with ITVX in 2024
We conducted hands-on tests to determine which VPNs are best for ITVX. While some didn’t work reliably, a handful worked without an issue. We tested some of the best providers and considered their server fleets, UK server availability, unblocking abilities, security practices, and overall performance. So, here are the top 3 VPNs that work with ITV Hub:
- NordVPN – #1 VPN for bypassing ITVX geo-blocks
- Surfshark – VPN for ITV Hub with unlimited connections
- ExpressVPN – highly-secure VPN provider that works with ITVX
ITVX not working with a VPN: 10 quick fixes
Above, we explained the main reasons ITVX may not work with a VPN. Therefore, it’s time for the solutions. Our research and tests revealed that these 10 easy fixes will most likely resolve the problem. So, let’s get into more details!
Consider changing your VPN server
The IP address associated with your current server could be on ITVX’s blocklist. Alternatively, your current server may encounter higher traffic or be under maintenance. This leads to significantly slower speeds, which interfere with your streaming experience. More precisely, you may experience lags or buffering issues.
Due to this, consider choosing a VPN provider with a vast server network with UK servers. As a result, you can switch to another VPN server effortlessly. NordVPN is a great choice, as it has 440+ UK servers.
Delete your browser’s cache and cookies
Browser cookies and cache can inadvertently reveal information about your actual location. More so, if you try to use ITV Hub without a VPN, the streaming service can store cookies that will help it detect you in the future.
Therefore, clearing these files is crucial if you’re accessing ITVX through a web browser since they usually store location-specific information. Here is how you can do this:
- Open your browser and go to the three vertical dots in the upper right corner (we used Chrome for our tests)
- Click “More Tools” and navigate to the “Clear browsing data” button
- Then go to “Select All Time.” This will appear in the “Time Range” drop-down menu
- Select all of the boxes, such as “Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files”
- Clear the stored cache and cookies. Click on “Clear data”
Ensure your VPN client is up to date
Outdated VPNs have a lot of drawbacks. They are usually slower, lack crucial security features that prevent advanced cyber threats, and may not have strong unblocking abilities.
That’s why you should verify that you are using an up-to-date VPN client. If you’re unsure whether you’re using the latest version of the VPN, you better delete and reinstall it.
Activate the kill switch and DNS leak protection
Most modern VPNs have features like a kill switch and DNS leak protection. Confirm that these features are turned on to enhance connection stability and prevent data leaks. For an even better experience, you can check for data leakage using websites like ipleak.net or dnsleaktest.com.
As for the kill switch, you can activate it in no time. Let’s see how you can enable it if you’re using NordVPN:
- Launch the VPN’s settings
- Activate either the internet or app kill switch by toggling the appropriate button
- Select which apps should be secured if using the app kill switch
- Enjoy a leak-free experience!
Restart your streaming device
Sometimes, the simplest solution is the most effective. So, try to restart your device to resolve any hardware issues. Once rebooted, open the streaming service again and watch your favorite content.
Change VPN protocols
Certain VPN tunneling protocols deliver better performance when trying to watch ITVX. That’s why we advise you to select another VPN protocol available in your VPN client. For example, if the default protocol, such as WireGuard, doesn’t work, go with OpenVPN.
Let’s see how you can do this on NordVPN:
- Go to settings
- Click on the “Connection” tab
- Select your preferred VPN protocol, and that’s it!
Contact VPN support
If the problem persists after implementing the easy fixes, you can contact your VPN provider’s support team for assistance. They may have specific recommendations for accessing ITVX.
For example, NordVPN has 24/7 customer support via various channels like live chat, email, knowledge base, and FAQs.
Check your internet connection
Issues can occur due to internet connectivity problems. Therefore, it is best to check your internet connection, and if this is the source of the problem, disconnect from your Wi-Fi network and reconnect. You can also try restarting your router.
A DNS cache stores recently accessed domain name and IP address details. The primary function of the DNS cache is to speed up your web browsing experience and avoid the need to look up the same information from DNS servers repeatedly.
Unfortunately, it can reveal your location to ITVX, but you can resolve this issue by flushing your DNS. Here are two simple step-by-step guides for Windows and macOS users.
- Open “Command Prompt” as an administrator
- Type ipconfig /flushdns in the Terminal
- Click the Enter button once you’re done
- Open the Terminal
- Type in sudo dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
- Press Enter (you might need to enter your password again)
Switch to a more reliable VPN provider
It is common for the issue to come from your VPN provider. More precisely, this is frequent when using a free VPN service. This is because free VPNs don’t promptly update their server infrastructure and IP pool. As a result, it is easier for these IPs to be blacklisted by ITVX.
Therefore, using a premium VPN with a free trial is better. One such option is NordVPN. It has a 30-day money-back guarantee and even a 7-day free trial for Android users.
ITVX is available only in the UK. This means you will encounter geo-restrictions if you are outside the UK. That’s why you need to use a VPN that will help you bypass these blocks. However, not all VPNs work with ITV Hub.
To avoid such issues, choose a reliable VPN with UK servers. If this doesn’t work, try changing your VPN server, switching the VPN protocol, flushing your DNS, deleting your cookies and cache, activating the kill switch, restarting your device, or contacting VPN support.
Why is ITV Hub not working with my VPN?
Numerous issues can cause . For example, it won’t work if the streaming service detects your actual IP address due to DNS leaking. The service can also employ IP address blocklists to restrict overused IP addresses. As such, you’ll need to switch between VPN servers.
What VPN works with ITV Hub?
NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN work with ITV Hub. However, we recommend using because it has 440+ UK servers, incredible unblocking capabilities, top-notch security features, and blazing-fast speeds. Most importantly, this VPN works with other popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Max, and Disney+.