How to watch Game of Thrones from anywhere in 2023
The world of Game of Thrones spans five books, eight seasons of television series, and it’s about to get even bigger. House of the Dragon, a prequel focused on the Targaryen family, is now live. Millions of fans are looking for a way to watch it – and catch up on the events from the previous show.
However, the world of Game of Thrones is not open to everyone. Due to licensing issues, Game of Thrones and the House of Dragon are unavailable worldwide.
The good news is, you can easily watch Game of Thrones from anywhere using a reliable, streaming-focused VPN. In this article, we’ll explain exactly how to do it.
How to watch Game of Thrones online with a VPN?
- Choose a VPN suited for streaming. We suggest NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Download a VPN and connect to a US server.
- Sign up or sign in to HBO Max or another streaming platform that shows GOT.
- Search for “Game of Thrones” and enjoy streaming!
Why do you need a VPN to watch Game of Thrones online?
You need a VPN for Game of Thrones because of heavy geo-blocking. Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon are available on HBO Max, Crave, and NOW TV: but these services are not available worldwide.
|Premiere:||August 21, 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT|
|Watch in the US:||HBO Max, Roku Channel|
|Watch anywhere:||Get NordVPN – 68% OFF|
|Watch in the UK||Now TV|
If you’re currently in a location that doesn’t offer these services, the only way to watch GOT is by using a VPN.
VPN hides your actual IP address and assigns you an IP from a different region. By picking a VPN server in the US, UK, or any other supported country, you can quickly sign up and watch Game of Thrones. The streaming service doesn’t know where you’re actually from.
What’s more, your traffic is also hidden from the Internet service provider (ISP). Many companies will purposefully limit your streaming performance to save on massive 4K streaming bandwidth. This leads to lower video quality and longer waiting times. With a VPN, your ISP doesn’t know you’re streaming – and it can’t reduce your performance.
Best VPNs to access Game of Thrones online
- NordVPN – top-class VPN for streaming Game of Thrones
- Surfshark – fast and affordable streaming VPN
- IPVanish – all-around streaming VPN with top security features
1. NordVPN – best VPN for Game of Thrones
|🖥️Servers:||5,800+ servers in 60 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
NordVPN is the best VPN for Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon. It’s been the best streaming VPN on all of our tests. There are 5,800 servers in 60 countries, and it was effortless to use this platform to unblock all major streaming platforms.
Speed and security are guaranteed by the fast and secure NordLynx streaming protocol. Apps are available on all major desktop and mobile platforms, as well as smart TVs and some streaming devices. Plus, the SmartDNS features allow streaming on devices that don’t include a native NordVPN app.
NordVPN starts at $3.19/month – excellent value for what you’re getting. There might also be some NordVPN coupons that will get you an even better deal. With a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try it now without any risk.
To find out more, see our full NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – affordable, high-speed VPN for Game of Thrones
|🖥️Servers:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
Surfshark is a very affordable streaming VPN: offering performance similar to much more expensive options. It also provides unlimited connections, meaning you can use one Surfshark account on as many devices as you wish.
Using the high-speed NordLynx protocol and 3,200 servers in 100 countries, Surfshark is the fastest VPN in our tests. We had no issues unblocking HBO Max and streaming Game of Thrones in crisp 4K, with no buffering detected.
Starting at just $2.30/month, it’s a tremendous budget-conscious option: which can get even cheaper with Surfshark coupons. A 30-day trial lets you try this VPN with no risk involved.
To find out more, check out our Surfshark review.
3. IPVanish – streaming VPN with excellent additional features
|🖥️Servers:||2,200 servers in 52 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Disney+, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||🔥 IPVanish coupon 75% OFF 🔥|
IPVanish is a solid VPN for streaming. With high-speed servers in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia, it can unblock all international locations where Game of Thrones is available. It offers unlimited simultaneous connections and good additional security features to keep you safe online.
With split tunneling, you can choose which apps use a VPN and which don’t, and a free SOCKS5 proxy is a top option for torrenting. Using a WireGuard protocol, IPVanish is seriously fast. We’ve also had no issues accessing HBO and most other major streaming platforms.
On a long-term plan, you can get IPVanish for $2.99/month. It’s a solid option, which can get even cheaper with IPVanish coupons. There’s also a 30-day free trial on your purchase.
To find out more about this VPN, check out the IPVanish review.
How to watch Game of Thrones online without cable
You don’t need cable to watch Game of Thrones or House of the Dragon. These shows are available not only on HBO Max but on several other streaming platforms as well.
Here are the options you can use to watch both the original Game of Thrones series and the new House of the Dragon:
|Hulu with HBO Max (US)||$21.90/mo (7-day free trial)||GOT / House of the Dragon|
|HBO Max (US)||$14.99/mo||GOT / House of the Dragon|
|Crave (Canada)||CA$19.99/mo ($15.22mo) (7-day free trial)||GOT / House of the Dragon|
|Now TV (UK)||£9.99/mo ($11.56/mo) (7-day free trial)||GOT / House of the Dragon|
|Binge (Australia)||$7.17/mo (14-day free trial)||GOT / House of the Dragon|
|Roku Channel (US)||$14.99/mo||GOT|
|Apple TV app (US)||$14.99/mo (7-day free trial)||GOT|
|Hotstar (Disney+, India)||$1.00/mo||GOT|
As you can see, there are plenty of ways you can watch these shows online. For watching the Game of Thrones only, Hotstar is the cheapest option at just $1 a month.
Your best options for watching House of the Dragon are Hulu with HBO Max, HBO Max, Crave, and Now TV. Except for HBO Max, these platforms offer at least a free 7-day trial.
Watch online on HBO
You can easily watch both Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon, using your HBO Max subscription. However, HBO Max is not available worldwide. In many countries of the world, the only option to get HBO is to change your IP location.
Here’s how to watch Game of Thrones online on HBO:
- Choose a solid streaming VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the VPN on your streaming device, and set up your account.
- Connect to a VPN server in the United States.
- Go to the HBO Max website, and sign up for the service.
- Search for “Game of Thrones” and enjoy!
Watch on Hulu
Despite Hulu and HBO Max being available on the same Hulu with HBO Max package, a Hulu subscription is not enough to watch Game of Thrones. You’ll need to add HBO Max separately to your Hulu account to watch Game of Thrones with Hulu.
It costs $14.99/month: as much as a standalone HBO Max subscription.
However, Hulu also offers a free way to watch Game of Thrones. Unlike the standalone HBO Max platform, Hulu has a free 7-day trial.
This means you can sign up for the platforms, binge on the shows, and close your account without paying a penny.
How to watch Game of Thrones with VPN on your device
The methods for watching Game of Thrones differ, depending on what you’re using. In this section, we’ll provide detailed step-by-step instructions on how to watch GOT on your device.
- Watch Game of Thrones on your computer
- Watch Game of Thrones on your smartphone
- Watch Game of Thrones on your streaming devices
- Watch Game of Thrones on PS4
- Watch Game of Thrones on smart TV
Watch Game of Thrones on your computer
Both Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon are available on HBO Max, Now TV, Sling, and Binge. Here’s how to watch them on your computer:
- Sign up for a VPN. We recommend NordVPN – now 68% OFF
- Install the VPN on your PC, and connect to a server in the US.
- Get a streaming service with Game of Thrones on its library.
- Watch the Game of Thrones. Sit back and relax!
Watch Game of Thrones on your smartphone
You can watch Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon on HBO Max, Now TV, Sling, and Binge. Here’s how to watch these shows on your Android and iOS devices:
- Get a reputable, streaming-ready VPN. NordVPN is the best option – now 68% OFF
- Install VPN and connect to a US server. You can find the VPN app on your phone's app store.
- Get your preferred streaming service's app. with Game of Thrones on its library. If they're unavailable due to your location, you can try to change your Google Play country or change your Apple App Store country.
- Watch the Game of Thrones. You're all good to go!
Watch Game of Thrones on streaming devices
The methods to watch Game of Thrones, and House of the Dragon will depend on your streaming device. See the steps right here:
- Sign up for a VPN. We recommend NordVPN – an excellent streaming option.
- Set the VPN up to work on your streaming device. The methods are different: try our guides for VPN for Chromecast, VPN on Roku, and VPN on Fire Stick.
- Connect to a VPN server in the United States.
- Sign up for a streaming service. Use your phone or computer to do so.
- Watch Game of Thrones. You're all ready!
Watch Game of Thrones on PS4
PS4 does not offer native VPN applications. In order to watch Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon on your PS4, see the steps below:
- Sign up for a VPN. NordVPN is an excellent pick – now 68% OFF.
- Set up the VPN to work with your PS4. You can either set up a VPN on a router or share your computer’s VPN connection to the PS4 – we cover both methods in our VPN for PlayStation article.
- Use a VPN to connect to a streaming-ready server in the United States.
- Sign up for a streaming service with Game of Thrones in its library. Download its PS4 app via the console’s app store.
- Sit back and enjoy. You can watch Game of Thrones now.
Watch Game of Thrones on smart TV
Watching Game of Thrones on a smart TV can be completely straightforward – or a little bit more complicated. It all depends on the TV model that you have. Here are the main steps:
- Sign up for a VPN. NordVPN is a great choice of streaming – now 68% OFF.
- Set up the VPN to work on your TV. Your TVs app store might have a VPN app. If not, you’ll need to use SmartDNS, set up a VPN on your router, or share your computer’s connection: we covered the steps in our VPNs for Smart TV article.
- Use your VPN to connect to the server in the United States.
- Sign up for a streaming platform which has Game of Thrones in its library.
- Sit back and enjoy – now you can watch Game of Thrones on your smart TV.
Why is Game of Thrones not working with VPN?
You might experience some issues when trying to watch Game of Thrones with a VPN. There are several reasons why this might happen. Let’s have a look at some of the common issues – and their solutions:
- A specific VPN IP is banned. Streaming services are well aware of people using a VPN to access their services. Therefore, it consistently bans several of their IPs. Top streaming VPNs keep changing their IPs and introducing new ones. Change your server on the app, and you’ll be good to go.
- Your real IP address is leaking. Your device might be accessing default servers instead of the ones provided by a VPN. Go to your VPN’s app, enable leak protection, and restart your streaming service.
- Other data might be revealing your true location. Streaming services can determine your location using other methods. Clear cookies and cache on your browser or apps, and restart the streaming service.
- Your VPN can’t unblock the streaming service. Not all VPNs can unblock all streaming platforms. Make sure to use only high-quality streaming VPNs. We suggest the best options in this very article.
How to watch Game of Thrones online for free?
There is a way to watch Game of Thrones for free legally. All you have to do is to sign up for Hulu with the HBO Max package – which comes with a free 7-day trial.
However, if you go down this route, prepare to binge. The entire 8 seasons of Game of Thrones take up 70 hours and 14 minutes. Add that to House of Dragon, whose season 1 is expected to be over 10 hours, and that gets you up to over 80 hours of Game of Thrones shows.
Maybe make sure to clear your schedule that week. You have work to do.
Alternatively, you can sign up for Binge. This Australian-based streaming service offers a free 14-day trial. That’s still a lot of watching – but much more doable. You'll need to use a VPN to unlock a foreign streaming service. Excellent freemium options like Atlas VPN or Proton VPN even let you use the services without entering the payment details. Just beware – free servers are usually not very good at unblocking content.
For the best Game of Thrones VPN to access foreign streaming services, we recommend options like NordVPN. It has servers in Australia, UK, US, and more, as well as comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here are the prices of the top premium VPN options:
- NordVPN – starting at just $3.19/month, NordVPN offers excellent value – and unmatched streaming performance. Try it yourself completely for free, using a reliable 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – for only $2.30/month, Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous connections and a very fast WireGuard tunneling protocol. It's an excellent choice for all things streaming, which comes with a solid 30-day money-back guarantee.
- IPVanish – this VPN provider starts at $2.99/month, and it's an excellent option for both streaming Game of Thrones, and guaranteeing your online security while browsing. It's a solid all-rounder.
Game of Thrones: What should you know?
Game of Thrones is based on the books by George R. R. Martin. It made its show debut in 2011, releasing an HBO exclusive which wrapped up its story in 8 seasons.
House of the Dragon is a prequel story focusing on the House of Targaryen’s history, trials, and tribulations. Co-created with George R. R. Martin, the show has released on August 21st, 2022. Unlike Game of Thrones’ contentious final season, House of the Dragon has received positive reviews so far.
Here is the release schedule for House of the Dragon:
|"The Heirs of the Dragon" (episode 1)||August 21, 9:00 PM ET|
|“The Rogue Prince" (episode 2)||August 28, 9:00 PM ET|
|"Second of His Name" (episode 3)||September 4, 9:00 PM ET|
|"King of the Narrow Sea" (episode 4)||September 11, 9:00 PM ET|
|"We Light the Way" (episode 5)||September 18, 9:00 PM ET|
|"The Princess and the Queen" (episode 6)||September 25, 9:00 PM ET|
|"Driftmark" (episode 7)||October 2, 9:00 PM ET|
|"The Lord of the Tides" (episode 8)||October 9, 9:00 PM ET|
|"The Green Council" (episode 9)||October 16, 9:00 PM ET|
|"The Black Queen" (episode 10, finale)||October 23, 9:00 PM ET|
Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon are both excellent shows: but they’re not available worldwide. In order for you to experience these amazing stories, you might need a reliable, streaming-ready VPN service.
Several excellent VPN options can help you access worldwide streaming service libraries. Our #1 option is NordVPN – it’s inexpensive, reliable, and very proficient in accessing just about any service.
Now, there should be no issues for you to watch this show, wherever you are. Hope you find the best solution for you – now get to watching!
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can I watch Game of Thrones without an HBO subscription?
You can also watch Game of Thrones on Now TV, Binge, and Crave. While these platforms can be region-locked for you, you can easily change your region using a streaming-focused VPN.
Is Game of Thrones on Netflix?
No, Game of Thrones is not on Netflix. Now it’s available on HBO Max streaming service and several other regional streaming platforms.
How can I watch Game of Thrones for free?
You can watch Game of Thrones for free by picking up a free trial of your chosen VPN service and streaming platform. Currently, such a deal is offered on Hulu with HBO Max, Now TV, Binge, and Crave.
How long would it take to watch all episodes of Game of Thrones?
Eight seasons of Game of Thrones take 70 hours and 14 minutes. House of the Dragon, a prequel show, takes an additional 10 hours.