How to change your location on Tinder with a VPN
Tinder is one of the most popular dating apps in the world. It makes dating easy, letting you connect with others in a single swipe to the right.
However, it’s not always easy to get the most out of Tinder. One gripe that many users have with it is that you can’t change your location, or search outside of a 100 mile radius unless you have paid for a subscription. It’s only possible to edit your location within the account settings with a Tinder Plus or Gold account. Another issue is that some countries and networks (like schools or workplaces) block access to Tinder.
To get around these restrictions, you can use a VPN to change your device location. With a VPN, you can change your IP address and make it seem as though you’re connecting from another part of the world. A VPN helps you stay anonymous, get around geo-blocking, and keep safe online.
In this article, we’ll show you how to change your location on tinder in conjunction with a VPN. We’ll begin with a simple step-by-step guide.
How to change your location on Tinder
- Choose a reliable VPN provider. We recommend getting NordVPN with 63% OFF!
- Download and install the VPN on your device.
- Connect to a server in a location where Tinder is not restricted.
- Open Tinder, and get swiping!
Why do you need a VPN for Tinder?
Tinder works by using GPS to track your location and match you with other users nearby. Unless you have a paid subscription, you can’t manually tweak your location on the app. For example, if you travel often, you won’t be able to connect with people back home. You will only be shown the profile of users within your active GPS radius.
Tinder is also blocked on several networks. As such, you may find that you can’t swipe whilst you are at your place of work or study.
A VPN can make it seem as though you are in a location where the Tinder restrictions do not apply. By changing your IP address, you can get around geo-blocks and swipe freely in locations that work for you.
Best VPNs for Tinder
As Tinder uses GPS to track your location, you’ll need a reliable and robust VPN that is capable of spoofing your location. There is only a limited number of VPNs that will work with Tinder. We’ll take you through our top three options now.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for unblocking Tinder anywhere in the world
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5700+ servers in 60 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 63% OFF|
NordVPN is a brilliant option for changing your location on Tinder. It has over 5700 global servers in 60 countries, meaning you should be able to gain access anywhere in the world.
NordVPN guarantees super-fast connection speeds, excellent support, and next-generation encryption. A vast array of security features will keep you safe online, whilst multi-login will let you use the VPN on up to 6 devices at the same time. This means you can keep all your devices safe at once.
There’s no need to commit to the provider straight away, as NordVPN also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, check out our in-depth NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – the best VPN for unblocking Tinder on a budget
|🌎Based in:||The Netherlands|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
Surfshark is a fantastic and affordable option for bypassing geo-restrictions on Tinder. The provider has over 3200 servers in over 100 countries, and it comes with absolutely no connection limits.
Surfshark offers a 7-day free trial, and there is also a 30-day money-back guarantee. Users will benefit from a wide array of security features, including a no-logs policy, strong encryption, and a kill switch. Surfshark also promises fast connection speeds and the technology to unblock most major platforms.
For more detail, read our full Surshark VPN review.
3. IPVanish – the best VPN for multiple device protection
|🌎Based in:||United States|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||IPVanish coupon 72% OFF|
Last but certainly not least, IPVanish has more than 2000 servers in over 50 countries. It allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices at once, and it boasts an array of security features. Alongside 256-bit encryption, there is no internal storage - meaning your data is always safe.
Fast streaming speeds and excellent 24/7 customer support are other benefits to using IPVanish. You can also try the software out for size, with no commitment, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee if you go for a yearly plan.
For more detail, read our full IPVanish review.
How does Tinder track your location?
Tinder uses GPS to show your location to other users, and to show you profiles within your set radius. As soon as you open the app it requests GPS coordinates from your phone and automatically updates.
Tinder relies on your exact location to find matches in your proximity. If you deny access to your location, then you will be unable to swipe other users – and your profile won’t be visible. The only way to hide your location is to upgrade to a paid subscription. Tinder Gold and Tinder Plus let you hide your distance, so nobody can see how nearby you are.
How to change the Tinder location on your phone
Tinder uses your GPS to pinpoint your exact location. If you want to see users in other countries, you will need to override your GPS location. We’ve compiled a simple guide for how to do this on your Android and iPhone below:
- Download a reliable VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Launch the VPN on your phone.
- Head over to Settings > Advanced and enable Override GPS location.
- From here, Enable developer options, and Enable mock locations.
- Go to Locations and pick a location.
- Sign in to your Tinder account – this should automatically connect to your new VPN location.
- Swipe away in your new location!
Is your Tinder not working with a VPN?
Tinder is always working to defeat GPS spoofing tools. If you’ve set up a VPN and still can’t get Tinder to work, don’t panic! There are a variety of possible explanations for this, including:
- The GPS location on your device doesn’t match your IP address
- Cookies on your device are giving away your true location
- The VPN you are using isn’t able to bypass Tinder’s restrictions
- Your real IP address is leaking
When faced with any of the above issues, you can try these solutions:
- Change your VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN
- Contact the support team for your VPN
- Enable the leak protection settings on your VPN
- Clear the cache and data on your Tinder
Why is Tinder blocked?
There are many possible reasons why Tinder could be blocked, ranging from geo-restrictions to more location-specific blocks. Here are some of the most common reasons why Tinder might be blocked for you.
- Your country blocks Facebook (this account is linked to Tinder)
- Your network blocks Tinder for security reasons
- Your country blocks Tinder
- Your specific network (think campus or workplace) blocks Tinder
Tinder uses the GPS signal on your phone to keep track of your location. It is with this information that the app shows you potential matches within your area. This data is constantly updated, so if you live in the US but go on holiday in Italy, you will see other Tinder users near you in Italy - rather than those back home. Tinder blocks the ability to edit your location - unless you pay for a premium subscription.
How to unblock Tinder
A VPN is your best option for changing your IP address and unblocking Tinder. Once you’ve picked a reliable VPN provider, you just need to install it onto your device. We’ve outlined the process for you below:
- Choose a reliable VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Install the VPN onto your phone.
- Clear the cookies and cache on your device once the download is complete.
- Connect to a server in a location where Tinder isn’t blocked.
- Login to Tinder, and get swiping!
Other methods of changing your location on Tinder
There are other methods to spoof your Tinder location aside from a VPN or a GPS spoofing app. Here are other ways to change your location on Tinder:
Aside from getting a VPN or a GPS spoofing app (depending on your needs), there are a few other ways to change your location on Tinder. Here’s what they are:
- Get the Tinder Passport. If you wish to change your location so that you could swipe people from other countries, a Tinder Passport is another way to go. It’s a premium feature that costs anywhere from $2.67/month.
- Change Tinder location manually. You can also use a VPN and set it up manually to fake your Tinder location. Manual configuration isn’t difficult, you just need to get a reliable VPN, such as NordVPN, and follow the configuration instructions.
How to download Tinder in a restricted country
Some countries, like the UAE, Indonesia, and Pakistan, have restricted access to Tinder entirely. Fortunately, a VPN can get you around these restrictions. Check out the following instructions for how to download Tinder in a restricted country - with a VPN.
- Sign up for a reliable VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download the mobile app for your chosen VPN.
- Login to your VPN and connect to a server in a non-restricted location by clicking Selected Location.
- Head to the App Store or Google Play Store, search for Tinder, and download!
Change your Tinder location with free VPN
We rarely recommend the use of free VPN providers. Most free services are slow, incapable of bypassing geo-restrictions, and tend to profit from selling your tracked data.
One way to change your Tinder location for free is by using a free GPS spoofing app. We’ve outlined the process below for Android and iPhone:
Change Tinder location on your Android
Follow these steps to change the location of your Tinder on your Android device.
- Head to the Google Play store and install a GPS spoofing app like Fake GPS
- Open the app and then open settings
- Select Fake GPS in the Developer Options
- Select your fake GPS location on the map
- Clear Tinder Cache and Data in your app settings
- Open Tinder and adjust the distance perimeters to match the new location
- Swipe away!
Change Tinder location on your iPhone
Follow these steps to change the location of your Tinder on your iPhone device.
- Go to the App Store and download a GPS spoofing app like iTeleporter
- Open the app settings and select Fake GPS
- Pick your fake GPS location
- Clear your Tinder Cache and Data
- Open your Tinder app and alter the distance preferences
- Get swiping!
Please note: using free software opens up your device and data to risks. We recommend using a reliable VPN (such as NordVPN) in conjunction with a free GPS spoofing app to keep you safe online.
Finally, you can change your Tinder location for free with a freemium VPN. This is the free version provided by a paid-for VPN. Free plans usually come with data caps and lack essential features. Atlas VPN and Proton VPN are among the better freemium options on the market, as both services work on most major streaming services.
Our final thoughts
Since launching back in 2012, Tinder has secured its position as the most popular dating app on the market. Around 26 million people are matched on Tinder every single day.
Unfortunately, Tinder won’t let you find matches in other locations unless you upgrade to a premium subscription plan. The best way to get around this is to use a VPN to connect to a new IP address, change your location, and unblock access to the app.
Tinder is constantly working to defeat GPS spoofing apps. As such, you’ll need a reliable provider that works with the app. A decent VPN can encrypt all the traffic going to and from your device - in turn hiding your true location. Not only can a VPN make it appear as though you are located elsewhere, it will also keep your online activity private - and protect you against hackers.
Have you tried to unblock Tinder with a VPN? We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment in the section below to let us know how you have gotten on.
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How to bypass YouTube TV location restrictions: watch YouTube TV from anywhere
How to change your location on Bumble: swipe through worldwide Bumble
How to change your location on Hinge: alter your whereabouts with a VPN
Best VPNs for Grindr: find the top VPN fit for staying private and secure
How to change location on Snapchat: go abroad with Snapchat
How to change location on TikTok: watch country-specific videos
How to change location on Chrome: complete security on your browser
Does a VPN work on Tinder?
A VPN works on Tinder as it lets you change your location and edit your IP address - making it seem as though you are swiping from a different region.
Is it legal to use a VPN on Tinder?
Although Tinder blocks some VPN connections, it is still completely legal to use a VPN on the app.
Can a VPN unban me on Tinder?
Yes, a VPN can help to unban you on Tinder. You will need to delete the app, factory reset your phone, and then download a VPN before recreating your Tinder profile.
Which VPN is good for Tinder?
Reliable VPN providers include NordVPN, and other VPNs on our list. There is more information about each of the providers throughout this article.
What free VPN to use on Tinder?
The best free VPN for Tinder is Atlas VPN. With it, you can choose between 3 Tinder locations (2 in the US and one in the Netherlands). Plus, you get a kill switch, a 5GB data cap, and speeds as good as that of some premium providers.
Can you spoof your GPS location on Tinder?
Yes, you can use a GPS spoofing app to select your fake GPS location. This way, you’ll get a new location – you can adjust the distance perimeters as well. Be careful about using a GPS spoofing app as they’re very unreliable. We suggest getting it in combination with a trustworthy VPN, such as NordVPN, to keep your data safe.
Can I hide my location on Tinder?
While you can’t hide your location on Tinder, you can change it with a VPN. If you’re in a country where the platform is banned, all you need to do is connect to a server in a location where it’s available. The best service for the job is NordVPN.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked