How to watch ITV in the USA
ITV is the biggest commercial station in the UK. It hosts many popular shows and dramas - most of which can also be viewed on the internet via the ITV player application. This online video player works across all the ITV commercial channels, but it is not available to anyone outside the UK. To view content on ITV player, you need a UK IP address and UK account.
Fortunately, you can overcome these geo-restrictions and watch ITV in the USA with a premium VPN. In this article we’ll take you through the process, help you decide on the best VPN for your needs, and look at solutions for troubleshooting when things don’t go to plan.
Short guide on how to watch ITV hub in the USA
VPNs can be pretty simple to use if you know what you’re doing. Below is a simple 5-step guide on how to watch ITV in the USA.
- Register for a VPN. We recommend NordVPN, as it offers excellent speeds and security.
- Download and install the software - be sure to get the right version for your device
- Connect to one of your VPN’s servers in the UK
- Log in to ITV Hub and try to play the video
- If the video doesn’t load immediately, try clearing the cache and cookies in your browser and then reload the page
How to sign up to ITV Hub outside the UK
The ITV Hub signup process is pretty straightforward. Here are the steps you need to take to create an account:
- Download your VPN of choice. For example, NordVPN, now 72% OFF
- Open your VPN and connect with a UK server. Once the VPN is connected, you’ll be able to access the ITV Hub website.
- Go to the ITV Hub website and head to Sign In in the top right hand corner.
- As you don’t have an account, you’ll then need to select the Sign Up option.
- Fill in the form to create your ITV Hub account.
- As you can see, you’ll need to enter a postcode. We recommend that you find a UK postcode online and enter this.
- Once you’ve finished filling in the form, click Submit to complete the signup process.
How to watch ITV Hub on your device
The ITV Hub download and installation process is pretty straightforward. However, the steps do differ from one device to another - so we’ll take you through the ones you’ll need to take based on your device.
Watch ITV Hub on your PC (Windows and Mac)
If you wish to watch ITV Hub on a device that runs on Windows 10 or a Mac, you won’t need to install anything as you can simply use your browser. This is how to watch ITV Hub on Windows and Mac:
- Download a VPN on your computer, we recommend NordVPN
- Install the VPN and select a UK server
- Head over the the ITV Hub website
- Provide your email address and password to sign in
- Select a show and enjoy!
Watch ITV Hub on Android
If you want to watch ITV Hub on an Android device, these are the steps you’ll need to take:
- Download a VPN (our top pick for ITV is NordVPN) and install on your router or a laptop that can create a mobile hotspot
- Change your IP address to a UK IP address
- Connect your Android device to your wifi network or the mobile hotspot you have created
- Go to your Google Play app
- Download and install the ITV Hub app
- Open the ITV Hub app and submit your login details
- Choose a show and enjoy!
Watch ITV Hub on iOS (iPad and iPhone)
Downloading and watching the ITV Hub on iOS devices is pretty similar to the process on Android. However, you will also need to change your App Store country.
- On your device, tap Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store
- Tap your Apple ID, then tap View Apple ID
- Tap Country/Region, then tap Change Country or Region
- Tap your new country or region, then review the Terms & Conditions
- Tap Agree in the upper-right corner, then tap Agree again to confirm
- Download and install a VPN. NordVPN is great for iOS devices
- Choose a UK server from the list of options
- Download and install the ITV Hub app
- Sign in and start watching!
Watch ITV Hub on Roku
You’ll need the ITV Hub app to watch ITV on Roku. For this to work, you’ll also need to have a Roku UK account. We’ve outlined the steps below:
- Reset your Roku device
- Set up a VPN on your router. NordVPN is our top choice
- Connect to a UK server
- Connect the Roku device to your TV and sign in using your UK account
- Go to Roku’s Channel Store, find the ITV Hub app and then install it
- Once the installation is complete, open the app and sign in using your login details
Watch ITV Hub on a smart TV
Apple TV doesn’t support VPN apps. You can get around this by connecting your VPN to your wifi router:
- Download a VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 72% OFF
- Connect to a UK server
- Go into your router’s admin and connect it to your VPN network
- Download the ITV Hub app on your Apple TV
- Login and create an account!
Some smart TVs will let you download a VPN app. If your smart TV doesn’t support VPN apps, you just need to follow the process above to connect your wifi router to a VPN. Once this is done, you can download the ITV Hub app, login to your account, and begin streaming!
How to watch ITV outside the UK
If you want to watch ITV outside the UK, this section is for you! We’ll take you through the basic process you need to follow to watch ITV content from anywhere in the world.
With a VPN, ITV is accessible from pretty much anywhere. All you need to do is complete these steps:
- Download and install a VPN on your router or your computer. If you don't know which to choose, we recommend NordVPN for watching ITV
- Open the VPN app on your device
- Choose a server from the UK
- Openthe ITV Hub app or go to the website to watch ITV content
Why do you need a VPN to watch ITV?
ITV is only available in the UK. This is because ITV places geo-blocks on its content to comply with copyright laws and distribution rights. As such, if you don’t live in the UK, you will need a VPN to watch ITV.
When you try to access ITV without a VPN, you will be met with an error code. This tells you that ITV channels are restricted and won’t work in your country. You can overcome this issue by using a VPN to connect to a UK server. This means that ITV will see you are using a UK IP address and will unlock the content for you.
Not sure where to start with finding a VPN? In the next section we’ll take you through three great options that will enable you to watch ITV in the USA.
Best VPN services to watch ITV
A lot of research has been conducted to find out which VPNs are best for accessing ITV Hub outside the UK. We’ve narrowed down our top three options for you here:
|Servers/countries:||5,500+ servers in 59 countries|
|Current deal:||Now 72% OFF + 3 Months FREE!|
NordVPN is a reliable VPN option for unblocking ITV Hub outside of the UK. It has the largest network of any major provider: over 5400 servers in 59 countries. This fast service boasts brilliant unblocking capabilities and several advanced security features.
NordVPN apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You can install it manually on select wireless routers.
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||Get Surfshark, now 81% OFF!|
Surfshark is an affordable VPN option for watching ITV outside the UK. It offers up to six dedicated British servers to allow easy access to popular geo-restricted services like ITV Hub. It is a strong choice for streaming because of fast speeds and impressive unblocking abilities (it even unblocks major platforms like Netflix).
Unlike many of its rivals, there is no connection limit with Surfshark. The service uses a kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption, and protection against DNS leaks to keep your activity private. It also doesn’t log any data that could identify you, or your location.
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,000 servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||Get ExpressVPN, now 35% OFF!|
ExpressVPN is another strong contender for viewing ITV Hub outside the UK. It offers the five fastest UK servers for streaming to unblock services like ITV. It is known for fast speeds and for providing a seamless HD streaming experience.
ExpressVPN allows five multi-logins and enables you to watch live video without buffering or lag. The service ensures your traffic is always hidden thanks to a 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protects against DNS and IPv6 leaks.
ExpressVPN also includes custom firmware that makes installing the service on your router super easy.
Struggling to access ITV Hub with a VPN?
Sometimes, you may find that you are unable to connect to the ITV Hub - even if you have a VPN. This probably means that you need a better or different VPN for streaming.
If you get an error message telling you that ITV Hub will only work in the UK, it means that your VPN isn’t working and you’re likely still connected to a server outside of the UK. To remedy this issue, check to see if your VPN is running. If it is, you probably need a more reliable VPN.
Here are a few other common issues that you may encounter whilst trying to stream content on ITV Hub in the USA:
- The GPS location of your device and the IP address are not the same
- ITV has blacklisted the servers used by your VPN
- ITV has upgraded its geo-blocking protocols and your VPN isn’t working any longer
- You have ITV cookies on your device that are letting ITV know you’re not in the UK
- Your actual IP address is leaking
- The VPN you are using isn’t capable of unblocking ITV Hub
If met with any of these issues, you can try the following solutions:
- Try a different browser and clear your cookies
- Search for the leak protection setting on your VPN and enable it
- Contact customer support for your VPN and check to see if the server you’re using unblocks the streaming services that you need
- Change your VPN provider
How to watch ITV Hub for free
Though it’s possible to watch ITV Hub for free, it’s not really recommended to use a free VPN. Free VPNs are available online, but they don’t tend to work very well and can slow down your internet connection.
One workaround here is to use a freemium - free version offered by some paid VPNs. These are somewhat better than free VPNs, but they come with a data cap and don’t unblock all major streaming services. We’d definitely recommend investing in one of the three VPNs that we outlined earlier in the article!
What can you watch on ITV?
ITV has six channels available in its TV guide:
It’s possible to watch shows live on the ITV Live stream, this includes sports and news. There are also countless popular shows hosted on ITV, including:
- Love Island USA
- Ainsley's Caribbean Kitchen
- Family Guy
- The Americans
- A Touch of Frost
- Tipping Point
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
Can I watch ITV on Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime will soon give UK Prime members access to ITV channels through Britbox. This is set to launch later in 2021.
How can I watch British TV in the USA?
You can watch British TV in the USA by using a VPN. This will allow you to change your IP address, which will then give you access to British shows.
Why is ITV Hub saying I am outside the UK?
If you get an error message telling you that ITV Hub will only work in the UK, it means that your VPN isn’t working and you’re likely still connected to a server outside of the UK.
Has ITV blocked VPN?
ITV may have blocked some VPNs, but not all! If you pick the right VPN for the job, you should be able to unlock the restrictions ITV has put in place.
What is the best VPN for streaming?
We believe the best VPNs for streaming are NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN. Find out more about them towards the start of this article.