Chrome is currently the primary browser of more than 2.65 billion internet users worldwide. Obviously, there has to be a reason for this popularity, right?
Well, most people would point to Chrome extensions as the said reason. For the uninitiated, these are software programs that let you customize your browsing experience, extend functionality, and integrate with third-party services. No doubt, they’re extremely helpful.
But, here’s the thing: there are close to 200,000 Chrome extensions out there. It’s going to be quite a task to pick the right ones for your browser.
And, you can’t exactly have them all. Not only will that take up a whole lot of RAM, but the excessive extensions will also bog down your web page loading time.
This is where this article comes in. Below, you’ll find the best Chrome extensions — covering multiple vital areas, including web development, security, and marketing – essential for your professional and business needs. Let’s take a look at the top picks.
Best chrome extensions for web development
The extensions in this category cover all-things web development for various popular platforms such as WordPress and Shopify. They make hosting (and life) easier by improving development workflow for developers and anyone working with websites, really. This includes things like plugin management, theme detector, and hosting detector.
|Features||Insights on plugin’s impact on WordPress website, discovery of new and popular plugins, side-by-side comparison of plugins|
One of the best Google Chrome extensions for enthusiasts, users, and just about anyone in the WordPress ecosystem, it tests the impact a plugin has on your WordPress website.
Right on the WordPress.org plugin page, you’ll get insights on:
- Plugin’s impact on memory usage and pagespeed.
- PHP errors.
- PHP 7.4 compatibility.
- WordPress 5.5 version compatibility.
- Activation and resources errors.
Beyond that, the extension also helps you to easily discover new plugins or popular ones according to filters set by you.
Plus, WP Hive’s extension also lets you compare plugins side by side, like you do for phones. In addition to the insights mentioned above, it assesses things like overall quality, ease of use, and value for money for the 2 plugins.
Ultimately, this is one of the best Chrome addons to help WordPress users to decide on the right plugins for their websites.
|Features||Theme detection, plugin detection, basic theme and plugin information|
As you can probably guess, the Scan WP extension is used to detect the theme and plugin of a WordPress site.
Once the extension is activated, all you need to do is press the orange WordPress logo. It will reveal everything there’s to know about the site’s theme and the plugins used to extend functionality or for design purposes. This includes:
- The theme or plugin name.
- Vendor's name.
These details are extremely helpful if you’re looking to build a similar WordPress site or duplicate what you see. Plus, it’s also a handy guide if you’re building your own theme.
Overall, the Scan WP extension is a good one to have for web designers, developers, or if you want detailed information on WordPress sites construction.
|Features||Theme detection, plugin detection, direct link to SEMrush|
Gochyu is another Chrome extension that helps to determine the theme and plugin that a website is using. An URL is all you need and it’ll let you know the theme/plugin name, platform, author, and more.
The information provided should help you to quickly build a similar-looking site — whether you’re competing against a rival site, a fan of the UX/UI, or working from a sample given by a client. It’s also an easy way to find the theme that suits you if you’re a beginner.
And, unlike the other detectors in the market, Gochyu’s services aren’t limited to just one CMS or platform. Sure, WordPress.org is its forte but it also works on WordPress.com, Shopify, Joomla!, Squarespace, Wix, and more.
In brief, Gochyu is ideal for anyone that works with websites, including web designers and builders, developers, and digital marketers.
|Features||Hosting detection, Google PageSpeed check, SEO information|
One of the must-have Chrome extensions for those working with websites, it detects the hosting provider of any given website. As a hosting provider has a big say in a website’s success, knowing this detail is a huge advantage.
For starters, if an established and reputable site is hosted by a certain provider, it’ll be easier for you to put your trust in the same provider, too. This is especially handy for beginners who might not know how to start the shopping process for a host.
Besides that, the extension is also helpful for intelligence gathering to find out how your competitor’s site is benefitting from its choice of hosting provider.
Overall, it’s one of the most helpful Google extensions for those in the web hosting industry and those searching for a new provider.
Shopify theme detector
|Features||Theme detection, Direct link to try the theme, Direct link to SEMrush for competitors research|
The name is a dead giveaway — this Chrome extension helps you to determine the theme used on a Shopify website.
For newbies and busy business owners, this extension will greatly accelerate and simplify the search for the right theme from thousands of available options. Plus, you get to see the theme’s potential plays out on a live site.
Meanwhile, for more experienced users like web designers and developers, knowing the theme used could save hours of work. For instance, you can easily emulate a desired design of a Shopify website by choosing the same theme and customizing it for a personal touch.
In brief, this is a top Chrome extension for Shopify sellers and anyone who works on design work for the platform.
|Features||Automated and manual browser testing, Integrated debugging, geolocation tests|
A top Chrome extension for web development, LambdaTest lets you run automated and manual cross-browser tests at scale. The extension supports a whopping 2000+ browsers and operating systems (OS) by leveraging on its cloud infrastructure.
Here are the highlights of the LambdaTest Chrome extension:
- Fast and easy tests across 2000+ desktop and mobile browsers.
- One-click testing right from your browser tab for your favorite configuration.
- Take full-page screenshots of up to 25 different browsers and OS configurations at a time.
- Easily schedule screenshots with preferred date, time, and configurations.
- Geolocation tests to analyze how your website performs in different locations.
Significantly reducing manual testing while ensuring browser compatibility, this is one of the best Chrome extensions for web developers, designers, and testers.
Serpstat Website SEO Checker
|Features||On-page search engine optimization (SEO), page analysis, domain analysis|
A powerful SEO tool, the Serpstat Website SEO Checker extension provides a full SEO audit of any domain or page with key metrics, analytics, and tips with just one click. This includes visibility, traffic, number of keywords, top competitors, and more all in one place.
Serpstat’s main appeals include:
- On-page SEO – including site start date, meta tags, HTML tags, favicon checker, Google Cache, PageSpeed Insights, and more.
- Page analysis – such as top 10 keywords in Google ranking, ranking position for a specific keyword, keyword cost per click (CPC), and missing keywords.
- Domain analysis – including domain traffic, number of keywords, Yandex Quality Index, improved and declined keywords, and visibility change graph.
Digital marketers, SEO teams, and small to medium businesses will be able to make the most out of this Chrome extension and will find it indispensable.
Best chrome extensions for security & privacy
These are some of the best Chrome extensions for security. They protect against various vulnerabilities and keep your online data safe. Among the functions are secure file sharing, protection of your inbox, and password management.
|Features||Browser threat detection and removal|
|Free plan||7-day free trial|
If you want an added layer of security when browsing, look no further than Guardio – an antivirus extension for Chrome.
With malware, phishing, and data leak protection you don't have to worry about clicking the wrong website. The extension automatically blocks harmful websites and malicious pop-ups or notifications, allowing you to browse freely and securely.
Guardio not only constantly scans the websites you visit for malware and adware, but also checks if your browser itself is healthy as soon as you install the extension. Additionally, it also alerts you if your personal data has surfaced anywhere on the web because of a data breach.
With so many threats floating around the Internet today, giving your browser a security boost with an antivirus extension like Guardio is a great idea.
Tresorit for Gmail
|Features||Share encrypted links and file requests, secure links as replacements for attachments, Direct access via Gmail for management|
|Free plan||Free trial|
Tresorit for email is one of the best security Chrome extensions out there. Using end-to-end encryption, it lets you securely store, sync, and share files and folders without even leaving your Gmail inbox.
Here are some of the reasons the extension is such a hit:
- Replace risky email attachments with encrypted links for secure external collaboration.
- Attach files from your computer to your emails as secure Tresorit links.
- Seamless integration with direct access to Tresorit within Gmail to make file sharing and link management easier.
- Permission controls for file sharing where you can choose between manager, editor, and reader permissions. Plus, you can also set up expiration dates, email domain policies, download limits, and more.
Tresorit is an excellent extension for all Chrome users, but especially for businesses, frequent collaborators, and those that prioritize security.
|Features||Open-source, multiple mailboxes, unlimited bandwidth and reply/send from an alias|
A very popular entry in the Chrome extension store, SimpleLogin is an email alias solution. With the extension, you can easily create a different email for each website to conceal your real email.
What this does is that it’ll help to protect your inbox against spam, phishing, data breaches, and more. Plus, it helps to prevent cross-site tracking, too.
All emails from the alias will then be forwarded to your personal email address. If you want to reply to the forwarded email, it will be sent from your alias so that your email address remains concealed. And, since the emails come from the same email alias, you can easily block the alias if necessary.
Use the SimpleLogin extension to subscribe to newsletters and email campaigns, sign up for a new account online, or whenever you want to hide your real email.
|Features||One-click removal, 4 pre-configured cleaning modes, malware scanning|
With over 3 million users, you simply can’t afford to overlook the Click&Clean extension when it comes to security and privacy. This extension is a one-click cleaner for your browser to help protect data security and privacy.
Some of its main features include:
- 4 pre-configured cleaning modes: low, medium, high, and dev. The last is an advanced mode for experienced users and developers.
- Can remove browsing data from the beginning of time or from a specific period of time.
- Option to delete all private data at once or remove just one specific item like browsing history, download history, or cookies.
Ultimately, it’s a great find for business owners and anyone that cares about data and cybersecurity.
|Features||Anonymous VPN and Proxy|
|Free plan||Free trial|
If you're looking for a solution that would allow you to access geo-locked content on the internet, look no further than Trust.Zone. The best part about it – this extension also adds a layer of security, so your IP address and location remain anonymous.
Some of the key Trust.Zone features include:
- Works with Wi-Fi, LTE/4G, 3G and all mobile providers
- Allows p2p and file sharing
- Works in any country with 150+ servers worldwide
- Doesn't store logs
Overall, if you're in the search of a solution that would protect your browsing activity from your Internet Service Provider and allow you to unblock geo-restricted content, Trust.Zone is the way to go.
|Features||Encrypted with AES-256, Security dashboard, password generator|
The Passwork extension is a password manager designed for businesses and corporate companies. It lets employees and administrators easily and quickly insert, generate, and manage the company’s passwords with just a few clicks.
This is what you can expect with Passwork:
- Beginner-friendly password management.
- AES-256 encryption for passwords.
- Password autofill and one-click login.
- Invitations to teammates to access organization vaults and folders.
- Customizations of access rights for each user.
- Password generator where you can configure the length, special characters, capitalization, and more.
In short, this is a good tool for businesses, start-ups, and organizations to protect the firm’s data. Individuals will also find it a handy extension to help to keep track of passwords securely.
Easeenet For Web Browsers
|Features||End-to-end 256 bit encryption, Two-factor authentication, password autofill|
Easeenet is a multifunctional Chrome extension. Primarily, it’s a password manager that caters to non-techy users. But, it also doubles up as a tool for secure document storage and sharing.
Promising easy and secure password management, Easeenet has all the essential features to simplify security protection. For instance, the extension will autofill all known passwords and login credentials.
Additionally, it also automatically recognizes when you’re keying in your login credentials for a website. It’ll then prompt you to store and categorize them in your Easeenet dashboard for easy management.
Besides that, Easeenet also offers a digital vault where you can store and share important documents. And, uniquely, Easeenet will preserve and pass your digital estate to your next of kin if anything happens to you.
In brief, Easeenet is one of the best Chrome extensions for those looking for a non-technical and beginner-friendly password manager.
Best chrome extensions for marketing, insights, & productivity
These extensions play a varied but vital role in increasing online presence, boosting efficiency, and just generally making life easier for all Chrome users. Whether you’re selling on Amazon, running a website, or just need a jolt of productivity, these extensions will offer all the tools you need.
|Features||Product overviews, profit calculator, alert to notify changes|
SellerApp is one of the absolute must-have Chrome extensions for Amazon sellers to research and compare products on the go. The extension researches and compares products as you browse through Amazon pages to gather sales information.
Here are some of SellerApp’s features:
- Product overviews – such as sales potential with up-to-date Best Sellers Rank (BSR), keyword tracker, and changes.
- Product keyword – helps to find the best keywords to drive sales and profits.
- Profit calculator – includes a breakdown of all the costs such as referral and shipping fees.
- Alert to notify the changes in pricing strategies, ratings, reviews, and listing quality.
All Amazon sellers looking to track competition and keep up to date with the market will find this Chrome extension incredibly helpful.
|Features||Visual representation of visitors’ attention, automatic percentage of attention, detailed analysis report|
|Free plan||Free trial|
Attention Insight offers AI-powered design analytics. With the Chrome extension installed, you can gauge how visitors engage with your site’s designs, improve visual engagement and user experience, audit competitors’ websites, and make data-driven moves to optimize your site.
Here’s how Attention Insight can help:
- Assess visibility and engagement by finding out where and which part of your website visitors engage the most with.
- Generate an AI heatmap to customize the color, size, and placement of the CTA button to boost conversion.
- Keep track of what works and what doesn’t work for your competitors’ websites so that you can tweak accordingly.
All in all, Attention Insight is a great tool for anyone working with a website or who has a website. Particularly so if you want to boost your online presence.
Markup – My Web Markups & Highlighter
|Features||Web highlighting and annotations, automatic summarization, multiple devices syncing|
For productivity, Markup is definitely one of the best Chrome extensions for it. The extension lets you highlight, annotate, save, share, and sync all sorts of texts — including web pages, articles, and blog posts.
Some of Markup’s key features include:
- Highlight and annotate texts on any web page, blog, and article to quickly draw attention.
- Automatically summarize a page for quick reading.
- Save important articles for later.
- Share highlighted content via various channels, including social media and email.
- Sync highlighted content with multiple devices.
Overall, Markup is a top-notch Chrome extension for those who work with lots of texts and those looking to streamline web page browsing.
|Features||Bulk email finder, over 425m contact search, email verifier|
|Free plan||Free trial with limited credits|
If the name isn’t a big enough hint yet, Email Finder is a Chrome extension that helps you to find business emails from various websites — especially professional business platforms like LinkedIn, CrunchBase, and AngelList.
Here, with just a few clicks, you can use the extension to find leads and prospects in bulk within these platforms. Beyond emails, it’ll also provide other details like:
- Company name.
- Website domain.
- Job title.
- And more.
Plus, there’s an email verifier, too, to help ensure that you have the right emails.
In brief, this Chrome extension is a nifty tool for those in business developments, recruitment, lead generations, and marketing.
Best Chrome extensions: final recommendations
With over 200,000 Chrome extensions out there, it’s going to be tough to limit yourself to just a few. So, to make things easier, below, you’ll find just the best Chrome extensions and a quick recap on why you should have them on your browser:
- WP Hive – insights on plugin’s impact on WordPress website
- Scan WP – detects the theme and plugin of a WordPress site.
- Gochyu – determines the theme and plugin that a website is using.
- Hoo's Hosting – detects the hosting provider of any website.
- Shopify Theme Detector – detects the theme of a Shopify site.
- LambdaTest – runs cross-browser tests across 2000+ browsers and OS.
- Serpstat Website SEO Checker – detailed insight into a website’s SEO.
- Tresorit for Gmail – stores, syncs, and shares files and folders for your Gmail.
- SimpleLogin – an email alias solution for receiving and sending email annonymously.
- Click&Clean – one-click cleaner for browser history, cookies, and data.
- Trust.Zone – a VPN and Proxy extension that anonymizes your browsing
- Passwork – secure password manager for businesses.
- Easeenet For Web Browsers – password manager and document storage.
- Guardio – antivirus extension blocking harmful websites.
- SellerApp– researches and compares Amazon products on the go.
- Attention Insight– AI-powered design analytics.
- Markup – My Web Markups & Highlighter – lets you highlight and annotate texts.
- Email Finder – finds business emails from various websites.
Chrome extensions FAQs
What are the best Chrome extensions?
The best Chrome extensions will depend on what you need for your browser. But, generally, the extensions on this list are the best Chrome extensions out there.
What is the best Chrome extension for security?
Tresorit for Gmail is the best Chrome extension for security. With its end-to-end encryption, you can be assured that your files and folders are well protected.
What is the best Chrome extension for privacy?
SimpleLogin is the best Chrome extension for privacy. It lets you create different emails to help protect your real email against spam, phishing, data breaches, and cross-site tracking.
What is the best Chrome extensions for tech companies?
The best Chrome extensions for tech companies are LambdaTest, Passwork, and Email Finder — depending on the companies’ needs.