How to get a UK IP address in 2023
A UK IP address is a valuable tool for accessing banking sites and streaming British shows on platforms like BBC iPlayer and Netflix UK. It is especially beneficial for individuals residing abroad or traveling outside of the UK as it allows them to bypass geo-restrictions and access British websites without limitations.
To obtain a UK IP address, a reliable VPN such as NordVPN or Surfshark is the recommended solution. You only need to connect to a UK server through the VPN, and you can quickly acquire a new UK IP address. On top of that, it also encrypts your online activities and protect your privacy from prying eyes.
In this article, you can find a list of the best VPNs for the job. It also includes guides on how to get a UK IP address. So continue reading, pick a VPN, and access British sites and streaming platforms without hassle.
How to get a UK IP address with a VPN
- Choose a trustworthy VPN with plenty of UK servers. Our top pick is NordVPN, now 68% off!
- Download and open your VPN app
- Find a UK server and connect to it
- Now, with a UK IP address, you can access any British content
To get a UK IP address you need a VPN. A VPN will give you a new IP address, which will help you change your location, in this case, the UK.
Best VPNs to get a UK IP address: shortlist
- NordVPN – the best VPN for a UK IP address
- Surfshark – best price-to-quality ratio VPN
- Atlas VPN – inexpensive VPN to get UK IP address
- ExpressVPN – premium VPN with UK servers
- – VPN with a high UK server count
What makes the best VPN for getting a UK IP
The best VPN get the UK IP address should be based on your needs. Whether it’s streaming of shows, games, or simply staying secure online – there are a few criteria you should consider when opting for a VPN to get the UK IP address:
|Unblocks:||Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube TV, and more|
|Fast tunneling protocols:||WireGuard, NordLynx|
|Privacy:||No-logs policy, independent audit|
- Servers. The best VPN to get a UK IP address should contain a large server fleet with servers in the UK, so you can easily change your IP address to the UK one.
- Streaming capabilities. If a VPN ticks the server box, you should also look into its streaming capabilities. Make sure a VPN bypasses geo-restrictions, so you can watch BBC iPlayer, or other British streaming libraries on Netflix, Max, Hulu, or others.
- Performance and speeds. Choose a provider that runs on speedy tunneling protocols, such as NordLynx or WireGuard. This way, you’ll have a fast VPN with a seamless online experience while connected to the UK server, without any buffering or lag.
- Security. A VPN must secure your online activities with the most robust encryption, which is AES-256.
- Privacy. Look for VPN that has an independently audited no-logs policy, so the provider doesn’t retain your activity logs.
- Value for money. A reliable VPN that you can change your IP address to the UK one shouldn’t break your bank. So make sure you get the most back for the buck!
Best VPNs for getting a UK IP – our detailed list
We’ve done the research and have put together 3 excellent VPNs that can help you get a UK IP address. All of these recommended VPNs have great server selections within the UK and impressive security suites to keep your data private and secure.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for a UK IP address overall
|Servers/countries:||5,800+ servers in 60 countries|
|UK server locations:||4|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 68% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
NordVPN is the best VPN for getting a UK IP address. Its massive x+ server fleet in x countries also contains over 440 servers in the UK cities, such as – London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Manchester. You can even purchase your own static IP address located in the UK.
With NordVPN, your online activity will be kept private with high-level AES-256-bit encryption. In addition, it can unblock geo-restricted content and allows an easy acces to the Netflix UK library or BBC iPlayer.
For only $3.19/month you can get a NordVPN plan that offers 6 simultaneous connections. And with a month-long money-back guarantee, you can test the service risk-free.
For more information, check out our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – UK VPN with the best price-to-quality ratio
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|UK server locations:||4|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 85% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Surfshark is an ideal VPN to get a UK IP address, as it comes with a massive x+ server network across x countries, and 360 servers in the UK. Plus, you can choose from four different locations: London, Manchester, Glasgow, and Edinburgh.
Surfshark is one of the most secure VPNs, shielding your data with unbreakable AES-256-bit encryption. This VPN has an independently audited no-logs policy, so your activity is 100% safe. While combining its fast speeds and unblocking capabilities, you can enjoy all British streaming sites, such as BBC iPlayer or Netflix UK, with ease from anywhere.
For as low as $2.30/month, you get unlimited simultaneous connections, and an opportunity to take it for a month-long trial spin.
For more on what this outstanding VPN offers, check out our complete Surfshark review.
3. Atlas VPN – budget-friendly option for UK IP address
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||1,000+ servers in 42 countries|
|Premium version deal:||🔥 Get Atlas VPN, now 85% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
Atlas VPN is an inexpensive VPN for getting a UK IP address. This VPN offers London-based servers and includes streaming-optimized servers for this region.
Atlas VPN also offers AES-256-bit encryption to keep all your online activity safe and sound. Its use of the next-gen WireGuard protocol is ideal for both speed and security, so you’ll enjoy the UK streaming content at blazing-fast speeds. Plus, with the no-log policy, the provider promises not to collect or use your personal data.
You can get an Atlas VPN for only $1.82/month. This price includes unlimited simultaneous connections and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth Atlas VPN review for more details.
4. ExpressVPN – premium VPN to get a UK IP address
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Unblocks: ||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|UK server locations:||5|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan! 🔥|
ExpressVPN is among the best VPNs with servers in London, Docklands, Wembley, East London, and the Midlands. Therefore, you’ll switch to a UK IP address in an eye blink.
ExpressVPN encrypts your online activities with the secure AES-256 cipher. It uses a proprietary Lightway tunneling protocol (WireGuard variation) which is an excellent choice for a seamless streaming experience. And a no-logs policy ensures that the VPN doesn’t collect the data about your activity logs.
This VPN costs $6.67/month, and for this price, you also get 8 simultaneous connections. If you want to try it out, ExpressVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Dive into the ExpressVPN review for more details.
5. CyberGhost – VPN with many UK server options
|Servers/countries:||9,600+ servers in 91 countries|
|UK server locations:||3|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get CyberGhost VPN, now 84% OFF + 3 months FREE 🔥|
CyberGhost boasts 781 servers spread across 3 UK locations: London, Berkshire, and Manchester. Hence, it’s a great pick if you want to obtain a UK IP address.
This VPN encrypts your traffic with an unbreakable AES-256 cipher. It also provides excellent streaming or browsing experience, thanks to its WireGuard tunneling protocol. On top of that, CyberGhost runs on an independently audited no-logs policy, so your activity is completely private.
The best part about this VPN is that you can obtain a new UK IP address for just $2.11/month. You can connect it to 7 devices simultaneously and take it for a trial spin with its 45-day money-back guarantee.
Learn more in a CyberGhost review.
How to get a UK IP address: step-by-step list
Getting a UK IP address is simple. You only have to complete these steps:
- Download and install a reputable VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN because it has 440+ UK servers.
Launch NordVPN app. Then log in or create Nord Account.
Connect to the UK server, and that’s it! Now you have a new UK IP address.
How to stream Netflix UK from abroad
If you want to enjoy British shows on Netflix, you can easily do it with a VPN. All you have to do is:
- Select a trustworthy VPN with servers in the UK. We recommend NordVPN because it has 440+ UK servers.
- Log in or create an account.
Connect to a server in the UK.
Enter Netflix, and enjoy the British content library!
Why you need a UK IP address?
You’ll need a UK IP address if you want to watch UK TV services but you’re out of the country. But that’s not the only case where changing your IP address is beneficial. Read on and find all the reasons to have a UK IP:
- Banking and government sites. These local services will often restrict access if it’s not coming from within the UK. If you’re living abroad but still maintain a bank account in the UK, you might need a UK IP address to gain access to your own account.
- Entertainment and streaming. Netflix UK, BBC iPlayer, and other UK-only streaming services need a UK IP address for access. Even UK residents on a short trip abroad are restricted from watching their favorite shows on vacation. By connecting to a VPN and using a UK server, it can be like you are walking down the British lands.
- Local sporting events. Don’t want to miss a single match? A UK IP address can ensure you can live stream your favorite sporting events, like F1 British Grand Prix or Wimbledon, from the platforms you use at home.
- Changes in other sites. There are other unexpected websites where a UK IP address can come in handy. Spotify, for example, can restrict your account log-in if you’re out of the country for too long. Or, you might find flight tickets more expensive from the country you’re currently in.
- Security and privacy. The UK is a member of the 5-Eyes alliance, meaning that the British or other intelligence members can access your data when needed. However, by using a VPN and even changing your current UK IP to the VPN-given UK IP, you can mask your online identity and stay anonymous.
How can I get a free UK IP Address?
While it might be tempting to snag a VPN that advertises itself as ‘free,’ we’ve got some less risky alternatives for you. Free VPNs have a nasty reputation for collecting and selling user data, failing to get around geo-restrictions, and having an overall unpleasant user experience.
Instead of getting trapped in the uncertain world of free VPNs, we suggest using a trustworthy VPN with a generous money-back guarantee or free trial. In addition, select the best VPN for the UK, since they’re tested and have proven to unblock various streaming sites, like BBC iPlayer. Also, you get all the privacy, security, and performance you’ll need without making a significant investment upfront.
All of our recommended VPNs offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. That means you can purchase a plan, fully test out the VPN and its features, and still get a full refund if you change your mind within 30 days.
Alternatively, you can use a free trial of one of these reliable VPNs if you just need a few days to access a UK site. For Android users, you can get a 7-day NordVPN free trial through the Play Store. Meanwhile, Surfshark has a 7-day free trial for iOS, macOS, and Android.
Getting a UK IP address can make life a lot easier for both short-term travelers and long-term expats. Whether you want to stream a match or log into your bank account, a VPN can help you with all your UK-related online activities.
With the largest server selection in the UK and the option to purchase a static UK IP, NordVPN is our top choice for getting a UK IP address. Plus, it will keep all your activity encrypted and outside of the 5/9/14-eyes alliance jurisdiction.
Changed your IP address to the British one already? Let us know about your experience in the comments section below!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Why get a UK IP address?
A UK IP address helps navigate geo-restrictions related to life in the UK. For UK residents traveling on holiday or living abroad, a UK IP address makes it easier to access local sites or stay connected to favorite streaming platforms.
Which VPN has dedicated UK servers?
NordVPN, Surfshark, and Atlas VPN all have dedicated UK servers. NordVPN has the largest selection of the three, with 440 UK servers to choose from. It also has the option to purchase a static UK IP address.
Is it safe to use a VPN to get a UK IP?
Yes, it’s safe to use a VPN to get a UK IP. As long as you choose a reliable VPN, such as NordVPN, with standard encryption, security features, and an audited no-log policy, it can be even safer than browsing online without a VPN.
Should I use a UK proxy instead of an IP from a VPN?
No, you shouldn’t use a UK proxy instead of an IP from a VPN. A UK proxy can generate a UK IP address but lacks the encryption and security features of a VPN. Using a VPN will give you the UK location you need while keeping your online activity private and secure.
Can I get an IP address of a specific United Kingdom city?
Yes, depending on the VPN you choose, you can get the IP address of a specific United Kingdom city. If your VPN offers more than one server location in the UK, you have some control over the exact location. These will usually only include the most prominent cities.
Is using a UK IP address legal?
Yes, using a VPN in the UK is legal, as long as your online activity itself isn’t breaking any laws. If you want to stream the UK content, access government or banking sites, or simply surf online securely – our top VPN recommendation is NordVPN, now 68% OFF.