These days, even after the lockdowns have eased, it is evident that online learning is not going anywhere. Better yet, online education and using smart devices in the classroom is rapidly becoming the norm.
Because of this, plenty of digital solutions are being released every day that can help students complete assignments, retain information, and allow teachers to present learning material in a unique way, improving the overall quality of education.
When it comes to finding the next app for your classroom devices, Microsoft app store is the way to go – no matter if you're looking for something that would help you prepare for tests or a tool to help visualize and gamify educational content for your students.
Best Windows Apps for Education: Our top picks
To help you achieve your learning goals, we compiled a list of some of the best education apps on the Microsoft app store. Whether you're a student or a teacher, here are some apps you should consider adding to your devices this academic year.
|Features||Self-grading learning cards|
|Resources||Ready-made resources, news, videos|
Boom Cards is an app that helps turn boring worksheets into interactive games and activities for all age groups. With this app, teachers can easily assign materials to classes and review student performance.
Besides presenting the students with fun games and instant feedback, Boom Cards also offers these features:
- Plenty of ready-made material
- Works even with low-bandwidth internet
- Privacy by design
- Auditory instructions
- A variety of game types to customize
What's great about Boom Cards is that it allows teachers to see knowledge gaps and learning patterns, making it easier for them to address specific challenges the students may have.
- Self-grading activities
- Lots of free games and activities
- Extremely customizable
- The free version only allows 5 student accounts
|Features||Real time PID controller simulation|
The PID Simulator app is a live PID tuning simulator where users can modify the input data to mimic real-life scenarios, then adjust the PID controller to monitor the output's reaction.
This app helps users learn, program, practice and teach PID control loops by providing these features:
- Adjustable ramp rate
- Control of graph speed and feedback reaction time
- Load step simulation
- PID feedback
- Random distortion for real life scenarios
What makes PID Simulator stand out is the ability to adjust the reaction time – modifying this set point allows the user to simulate different environments and devices.
- Simulates real-world scenarios
- Variety of advanced settings
- The interface design could use an update
|Features||Animated books and games for learning English|
|Resources||Blog, tutorials, printables, events, book list|
|Free plan||Free trial|
Next up is BOOKR Class – an app that makes learning English engaging and fun for children as well as provides a comprehensive educational tool for teachers.
Besides offering an enormous library of books and stories, BOOKR Class boasts these features:
- Teacher’s Dashboard
- Content can be used offline
- 2000+ educational games
- Content for beginners (pre-A1) and intermediate levels (B2)
What makes BOOKR Class unique is that it was created for teachers by teachers, supporting the development of language skills – reading, writing, listening, and pronunciation, and other essential soft skills such as problem-solving and creativity.
- Can be used offline
- Not available on older Windows versions
Alphabet Vocabulary Book
Alphabet Vocabulary Book is an app created by Holiday Educationist, a team of experts providing educational apps designed for preschool kids. Using Alphabet Vocabulary Book, kids can learn the alphabet and new vocabulary words at the same time – each letter is paired with its sound and an image of a related object.
Some of the key features of Alphabet Vocabulary Book include:
- Soft background music option
- Up to 8 vocabulary words for every letter
- ABC Song
- High definition pictures, sounds and sound effects
- Shows both uppercase and lowercase letters
What's nice about Alphabet Vocabulary Book is that you can also adjust the fonts and the interface (book mode vs flashcard mode) to find what works best for your toddler.
- Free to use
- Easy to navigate
- Ad-free version requires payment
ABC C Alphabet Learning Games
ABC C Alphabet Learning Games is a fun app for kids, from toddlers all the way to preschoolers and kindergarteners, to learn about phonics and the alphabet. The app focuses on the letter C and provides tons of activities that help recognize the letter and the objects associated with it.
Here are some of the features that ABC C Alphabet Learning Games offers:
- A voice reading the pronunciation of everything
- Appropriate content
- Engaging interface
- Each object accompanied by colourful pictures
- Trace and color games
What's convenient is that kids can explore the C words by categories like birds, animals, vegetables, fruits, and things, and can easily access the specific material they need.
- Intuitive interface
- Focused on teaching one letter
- Contains ads
Analog Devices Mobile Learning
Analog Devices Mobile Learning is an app by Analog Devices – a global semiconductor leader merging the physical and digital worlds together. Besides enhancing various operations with digital solutions, this company also provides online and live training for aspiring engineers.
With the Analog Devices Mobile Learning you can:
- Take courses and webinars anywhere without an internet connection
- Get certificates
- Take exams
- Stay up-to-date with the latest technology
Overall, Analog Devices Mobile Learning is a great app that allows you to learn about digital and analog technology anywhere, and it even automatically syncs your progress when you're back online.
- Works offline
- Can take exams
- You can earn certifications
- Interface design could use an update
|Features||Create games, animations, stories|
|Resources||Tutorials, ideas, FAQ|
Scratch 3 is an app that allows students to create fun games, stories and animations using a simple visual interface. This app helps young people learn coding, all while improving their problem-solving skills, collaboration and fostering self-expression.
Scratch 3 not only lets the students' creativity shine through, but it is also:
- Available in more than 70 languages
- Can be used offline
- Allows remixing other projects
- Available as ScratchJr for younger users
- Easy to customize for educators
The best part about it – Scratch free to use for everyone. It is designed, developed, and moderated by the Scratch Foundation, a nonprofit organization.
- Completely free to use
- User-friendly interface
- Plenty of resources and tutorials
- Not possible to create projects on mobile phones
Classter for Teachers
|Features||Management app for teachers|
|Resources||Blog, knowledge base, webinars, videos|
Classter for Teachers is a student and learning management system used by hundreds of institutions worldwide. With this tool, teachers can easily access and manage their courses, students, classes, and schedules all in one place.
Using this app, teachers can:
- Rate students' performance per class session
- Design the class layout and get a visual representation of the class
- Quickly locate a student by searching per class or per course
- Reward students with badges
Classter is a trusted provider of digital products for educational organizations and offers a wide range of other solutions, from grading software to student attendance management, so check them out if you're looking for an upgrade.
- All information can be accessed in one place
- Helps keep track of students
- Can be used real-time in the classroom
- Might take some time to get used to
|Resources||Blog, manuals, self-service resources, activities|
Using robotics to teach kids coding has quickly gained traction over the last few years, and Sphero Edu helps you do just that and even more. This app goes beyond coding and offers unique STEAM activities, allowing students of all skill levels to create, collaborate and learn with Sphero robots.
To ensure effective learning, Sphero Edu offers these features:
- Draw, Block, and Text modes
- Progress monitoring
- Integration with Google and Clever
- Activity library
Besides providing activities for all learners, the Sphero Edu app is also compatible with a variety of devices and can be used both at school and at home, making coding education accessible and convenient for everyone.
- Activities for all ages
- Compatible with a wide range of devices
- Easy to use
- Does not support all Sphero robots
BrainPOP Featured Movie
|Free plan||Free trial|
Next on the list is BrainPOP Featured Movie – a learning app by BrainPOP, a learning resource supporting variety of subjects and reaching millions of learners worldwide.
Some of the key BrainPOP Featured Movie features are:
- Animated movies and quizzes released every day
- Suitable for kids in grades 3-8/ and ages 8-14
- App is based on a proven approach that boosts academic achievement
Another great thing about this app is that its videos not only educate kids about historical milestones and figures but also cover current events, holidays, and a wide variety of subjects.
Best Windows Apps for Education: Final recommendations
Here's a quick overview of all the best education apps mentioned in this article:
- Boom Cards – an app that allows teachers to turn learning material into fun games and activities.
- PID Simulator – a simulator where users can learn about PID control loops in real-life scenarios.
- BOOKR Class – helps learn English through animated books, stories and games.
- Alphabet Vocabulary Book – an app for toddlers that helps learn the alphabet and vocabulary words.
- ABC C Alphabet Learning Games – provides learning games and activities with a focus on the letter C.
- Analog Devices Mobile Learning – an app that allows you to take courses and exams by Analog Devices.
- Scratch 3 – a free app that allows young people to code games, animations and stories.
- Classter for Teachers – a student learning and management tool for teachers.
- Sphero Edu – a hub to create, contribute, and learn coding with Sphero robots.
- BrainPOP Featured Movie – provides kids with educational videos and quizzes related to the topics covered.