Crunchyroll is a US streaming service with one of the biggest catalogs of anime and manga in the world. Unfortunately, it’s only available to stream in select countries, and the content library varies depending on your location.
But there’s an easy workaround – use a reliable VPN to connect to a server in the US. This will allow you to bypass Crunchyroll’s region restrictions and access its full content catalog from anywhere in the world.
This article is jam-packed with tips and tricks on how to stream Crunchyroll with a VPN from anywhere in the world on multiple devices. So keep reading to find out all you need to know.
How to stream Crunchyroll with a VPN
- Find a VPN with a large collection of servers in the US. We recommend NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
- Download and install the software.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Go to the Crunchyroll website and either sign in or create an account.
- Sit back, relax, and start streaming your favorite anime!
Why do you need a VPN to stream Crunchyroll?
Crunchyroll is a hugely popular streaming service based in the US that boasts one of the largest collections of anime and manga in the world. But due to licensing restrictions, copyright laws, and distribution rights, Crunchyroll isn’t available in every country.
And even if you can access Crunchyroll in your location, you might not be able to access everything the streaming service has to offer. This is because it has the rights to show more shows and movies in the US than it does in other regions.
However, you don’t have to give up on watching all your favorite anime and manga. You can bypass these region restrictions and watch everything Crunchyroll has to offer in a few simple steps, no matter where you are. All you need to do is sign up for a reputable VPN with a strong fleet of servers in the US.
Once you’ve done that, connect to one of the US servers, and you’ll be able to access Crunchyroll’s complete US collection from anywhere in the world.
And if you need help choosing the right VPN to stream Crunchyroll from anywhere, we’ve got some great recommendations in the next section of this guide. So read on for more advice.
Best VPNs to stream Crunchyroll
- NordVPN – the best VPN for unblocking Crunchyroll from anywhere
- Surfshark – a great-value solution for accessing geo-blocked content
- IPVanish – a strong solution for streaming content abroad
Although it’s not difficult to use a VPN to unblock Crunchyroll from outside the US, you might run into problems if your provider isn’t strong enough to bypass the streaming service’s region restrictions.
To help you avoid any issues, we’ve tested out a wide range of options and have recommended 3 providers that can consistently unblock Crunchyroll from outside the US. And as if this wasn’t good enough, we’ve also made sure that they deliver strong security to keep your data safe, as well as fast speeds and the capability to unblock other location-restricted content.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for unblocking Crunchyroll from anywhere
|🖥️Servers:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 63% OFF|
If you want a solution to help you bypass Crunchyroll’s region restrictions, NordVPN is the best option available. It has a strong fleet of 5500 international servers, including 1,970 servers across the US. So you’ll be able to access the streaming service from anywhere, along with all sorts of other geo-blocked content.
NordVPN also comes with market-leading security, along with fast speeds for buffer-free streaming.
Subscriptions start from $3.49 per month. And at the moment, we have a limited-time NordVPN discount offer that gets you a 63% discount for NordVPN's subscription!
To find out more, see our detailed NordVPN review.
- High-quality US servers
- Unbeatable security suite
- Unblocks region-restricted content with ease
- Fast speeds that are ideal for streaming
- Independently audited
- No dedicated router app
2. Surfshark – a great-value solution for accessing geo-blocked content
|🖥️Servers:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
If you’re after a way to unblock Crunchyroll that won’t break the bank, Surfshark could be the ideal solution for you. It has more than 3200 servers worldwide, including over 600 servers in the US. So you’ll have no problems using it to access Crunchyroll from anywhere.
On top of this, it also boasts the fastest speeds we’ve ever found on a VPN, along with unlimited simultaneous connections, and a range of excellent security features.
Plans start from just $2.30 per month, and we have a Surfshark VPN coupon code that will get you 82% off a Surfshark subscription!
For more information, read our full Surshark VPN review.
- Can unblock all region-restricted content
- Outstanding value for money
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fasted VPN around
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. IPVanish – a strong provider for streaming content abroad
|🖥️Servers:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||IPVanish coupon 66% OFF|
As one of the best-known VPNs on the market, IPVanish lives up to its stellar reputation. It has a strong fleet of over 2000 servers in 50 countries, including dedicated servers across the US. Therefore, it’s a fantastic choice for unblocking Crunchyroll and other geo-blocked content from around the world.
In addition, you’ll also enjoy fast and reliable speeds, as well as decent security and unlimited simultaneous connections.
Prices start at just $3.99 per month. And if you use one of our limited-time IPVanish coupons, you can enjoy a 66% discount on a two-year IPVanish subscription!
For more details, take a look at our dedicated IPVanish review.
- Strong US servers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Excellent security
- Cheap yearly plans
- Prices increase after the first year
- Won’t work in China
How to stream Crunchyroll with VPN on your device
No matter where you are in the world, you can access Crunchyroll’s US library on pretty much any device. But the steps may be slightly different depending on which device you’re using.
To make things simpler for you, we’ve explained exactly the steps you need to follow for each of the most popular devices:
- Stream Crunchyroll on your computer
- Stream Crunchyroll on your smartphone
- Stream Crunchyroll on your smart TV
- Stream Crunchyroll on your Xbox
- Stream Crunchyroll with Chromecast
- Stream Crunchyroll on Roku
Stream Crunchyroll on your computer (Windows, Mac)
It’s easy to watch Crunchyroll on your computer, whether you have a Mac or a Windows machine. All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Change your computer’s location to the US.
- Download and install a VPN on your computer. Our recommendation for this is NordVPN.
- If you use an Apple ID or Google account, set up a new one and choose the US as your country.
- Go to the Crunchyroll website and either log in or create an account.
- Start searching for your favorite anime shows!
Stream Crunchyroll on your smartphone (Android, iOS)
If you want to watch anime on the go, you’ll find it really useful to unblock the streaming service on your phone while you’re traveling. Here’s how to do it:
- Change your phone’s location and App Store to the US.
- Download and install a VPN on your phone. NordVPN is the perfect solution for this.
- If you use an Apple ID or Google account, set up a fresh one and select the US as your country.
- Download the Crunchyroll app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Log in or create an account.
- Enjoy browsing through everything Crunchyroll US has to offer!
Stream Crunchyroll on your smart TV
You’ll find that many smart TV brands, including LG, Samsung, and Apple, don't support VPN apps. But you can still use one on your TV by connecting your Wi-Fi router to your VPN instead. And it’s easier than you might think. Just follow these simple steps:
- Download a VPN with plenty of US servers. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Access your Wi-Fi router’s admin and connect it to your VPN network.
- Download the Crunchyroll app on your smart TV, or the Plex app if you can’t find the Crunchyroll app on your TV’s app store.
- Sign in or set up an account and enjoy watching your favorite anime shows!
You may find that your smart TV does support VPN apps. And many VPNs actually have dedicated Android TV apps, so if you can find one that’s compatible with your smart TV, you could use that instead.
Stream Crunchyroll on your Xbox
Gamers will be delighted to learn that it’s possible to watch Crunchyroll on an Xbox from wherever you are in the world. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Download and install a reliable VPN onto your PC. NordVPN is perfect for this.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Plug one end of an Ethernet cable into your Xbox. You should be able to find the port on the back of the console.
- Plug the other end of the cable into your PC.
- Open up the Control Panel and go to the Network and Sharing Center tab.
- Scroll down the list of options on the left-hand side and select Change Adaptor Settings.
- Find your VPN, right-click and select Properties, then hit the Sharing tab to allow other users to connect to your VPN network via your PC.
- Download the Crunchyroll app on your Xbox and enjoy streaming!
Stream Crunchyroll with Chromecast
It’s wonderfully simple to stream region-restricted content via your Chromecast. Here’s how to do it:
- Choose a VPN that’s compatible with your Wi-Fi router. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN, and connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Download the Crunchyroll app onto your smartphone or tablet.
- Hit the Cast icon on the top of your screen.
- Select the name of your Chromecast, and enjoy streaming Crunchyroll!
Stream Crunchyroll on your Roku
Just like the majority of smart TVs, Roku doesn't support VPN apps. However, you can get around this by connecting your Wi-Fi router to your VPN. Here’s how:
- Find a VPN with plenty of US servers. NordVPN is an ideal solution for this.
- Download and install the VPN software, and connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to a US server.
- Insert your Roku stick into your smart TV using the HDMI port.
- Turn on your TV and search for Crunchyroll on the Roku home screen.
- Grab the popcorn and start streaming!
How to use the Crunchyroll app with a VPN
The Crunchyroll app is available to download in the US via the Google Play Store, Apple App Store, and Windows Marketplace. You can also download it onto your Playstation, Xbox, Apple TV, Roku stick, Amazon Firestick, or Chromecast.
And if you want to use it outside the US, all you need to do is follow our simple step-by-step guide:
- Download and install a VPN on your device. NordVPN works well on iOS and Android.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Download the Crunchyroll app from your device’s app store.
- Sign in or set up an account.
- Start streaming all your favorite shows on Crunchyroll!
Why can't I stream Crunchyroll with a VPN?
Crunchyroll doesn’t operate in every country. And even in the countries where you can access it, you might not be able to find all the content you want. This is because it doesn’t have the distribution rights to show its full catalog of content outside the US.
Therefore, unless you’re in the US, you’ll need a VPN to access everything Crunchyroll has to offer. This should be straightforward to do, so if you’re still getting an error message on Crunchyroll, it might be that your VPN isn’t working correctly.
To help you fix the issue, we have a complete guide on how to use a VPN. Or, if you want to try some quick troubleshooting ideas, have a look at the following suggestions:
- Crunchyroll could have identified your traffic as coming from a VPN
- Your VPN may be unable to bypass Crunchyroll’s location restrictions
- You may be connected to a server in the wrong location
- Your true IP address might be leaking
- Your cookies could be revealing your actual location
To fix these issues, try:
- Checking you’re definitely connected to a server in the right location
- Making sure you have IP leak protection enabled on your VPN
- Connecting to a different server
- Clearing your cookies and cache
- Using a different browser
- Getting in touch with your VPN’s customer support team
If all else fails, you may want to consider upgrading to a more privacy-focused VPN.
How to stream Crunchyroll with a free VPN
If you want to use a free VPN to stream Crunchyroll from outside the US, we’d recommend opting for a freemium, which is a free version of a paid-for VPN. They’re generally a lot more basic than the paid-for versions, but if you want to use one, we’d suggest trying ProtonVPN, or AtlasVPN.
Alternatively, if you want to use a VPN for a limited time, such as if you're traveling or you want to binge-watch a specific show, you could use a free trial of a paid VPN. Each of the providers we suggested above comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
After the free trial has expired, this is how much a VPN subscription would cost:
- NordVPN – with an impressive fleet of 1,970 servers in the US, NordVPN is a fantastic option for unblocking Crunchyroll from anywhere. After the 30-day money-back guarantee is over, prices start from just $3.49 a month.
- Surfshark – if cost is a factor, Surfshark could be the perfect solution for you. Plans start from just $2.30 per month.
- IPVanish – a solid choice for unblocking region-restricted content, IPVanish is a great all-round provider. Subscriptions start from just $3.99 a month.
It’s important to avoid completely free VPN providers because they are infamous for making money by selling user data to third parties. And even if that’s not enough to put you off, they usually have poor-quality servers that are unlikely to be strong enough to unblock location-restricted content.
What you can stream on Crunchyroll
With arguably the biggest collection of anime and manga on the market, Crunchyroll has thousands of shows and movies to choose from. Here are some of the most popular titles on there at the moment:
|Dragon Ball Z||1989 – 2003|
|Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero||2022|
|Fairy Tail||2009 – 2019|
|Fruits Basket||2019 – 2021|
|Kuroku’s Basketball||2012 – 2015|
|Love After World Domination||2022 – present|
|Naruto: Shippuden||2007 – 2017|
|One Piece||1999 – present|
|Spy x Family||2022 – present|
|Tower of God||2020|
Crunchyroll is an excellent streaming service with one of the most extensive collections of manga and anime in the world. But it isn’t available in every country. And even in locations where you can stream Crunchyroll, the number of titles will be much more limited outside the US.
But the good news is that you can get around Crunchyroll’s geo-blocks and watch everything the streaming service has to offer, no matter where you are in the world. All you need to do is download a reputable VPN and use it to connect to a server in the US. NordVPN is the best provider to use for this.
Aside from this, you can also use a VPN to unblock all sorts of other streaming services. And it’s a great tool for improving your online security because it encrypts your data to keep it safe from hackers and criminals.
Do you have any additional questions about using a VPN to unblock region-restricted content? Let us know in the comments section below, and one of our experts will help you out!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can I access Crunchyroll with a VPN?
Yes, you can use a VPN to unblock Crunchyroll from anywhere in the world. Once you’ve downloaded a reliable VPN, such as NordVPN, and got it set up on your device, simply connect to a server in the US and enjoy everything Crunchyroll has to offer from outside the country.
How can I watch Crunchyroll on my smart TV?
You can download the Crunchyroll app on your smart TV, or you can access it via the Plex app if that doesn’t work. And if you want to access it from outside the US, you’ll need to connect your Wi-Fi router to a VPN to unblock the content.
Why can’t I access Crunchyroll in my region?
Due to distribution rights, Crunchyroll isn’t available in every country. But you can access it from anywhere if you use a VPN, such as NordVPN, to connect to a server in the US. You’ll then be able to watch it, wherever you are.
Is it legal to use a VPN to stream Crunchyroll?
Yes, it’s completely legal to use a VPN to stream Crunchyroll from outside the US. However, since showing specific content internationally is against Crunchyroll's Terms of Service, it does block VPNs. That’s why you need a capable provider that can bypass geo-blocking.