Best VPNs for Xbox in 2023
There are many benefits to using a VPN for Xbox. Server hopping and protection from DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks by hiding your IP address are two big ones. Gaining access to restricted content when using the console for streaming is another.
However, whether for Xbox One, S, or XS, finding a good VPN is not so simple. You cannot install a VPN directly on your Xbox. The device doesn’t support it, meaning you have to install it on your router or share a connection from your laptop.
That’s where we come in. We'll give you a list of five of the best VPNs for Xbox, and we’ll even throw in a quick guide about the installation process. So, let’s take a look at our five contenders for the title of Best VPN for Xbox, shall we?
Top 5 best VPNs for Xbox One
- NordVPN – best VPN for Xbox consoles
- Surfshark – Xbox VPN for unlimited devices
- IPVanish – cheap VPN for Xbox
- ExpressVPN – Xbox VPN for extra privacy
- CyberGhost – speedy gaming console VPN
What to look for in a VPN for Xbox?
The best VPN for Xbox, it’s important that it’s easy to set up on a router since the console doesn’t natively support VPNs. Here are the main criteria to keep in mind when picking a VPN for Xbox:
|Security features:||Kill switch, Threat Protection|
|Privacy features:||No-logs policy, independent audit|
|Fast tunneling protocols:||WireGuard|
- Easy setup. To use a VPN on Xbox, you’ll need to get a router VPN. The service of your choice should have clear router setup instructions provided on their site.
- Speed. Choose VPNs that provide you with speedy tunneling protocols, such as WireGuard or its variations. This way, you’re less likely to experience visible speed drops.
- Security features. Make sure your VPN offers the unbreakable AES encryption cipher to hide your data and IP address. A kill switch to protect from accidental data leaks is a must as well.
- Server network. The more servers the VPN has, the more IP address changes without compromising speeds you will find. And if you ask what is the benefit of a VPN on Xbox, it’s this – you won’t ever experience DDoS attacks again.
- Price. Even cheap VPNs can be excellent – always evaluate what you get for the money you’re paying.
Best VPNs for Xbox – our detailed list
If you do a simple Google search, you’ll get countless results for the best VPNs for Xbox, and they all promise to give you speed and security. However, not all of them deliver, which is why I made a list of VPNs that actually do.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for Xbox in 2023
|Servers/countries:||5,800+ servers in 60 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 68% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
NordVPN is the best VPN for Xbox because of its massive server fleet and advanced security features – all while maintaining exceptional speeds. Thanks to the FlashRouters partnership, you can get NordVPN already built-in. However, the provider’s official site is full of useful information on how to set it up on various other routers, helping make the process as easy as it gets.
Speed. NordVPN uses both the OpenVPN and its proprietary NordLynx protocol – an upgrade of WireGuard. So it’s no wonder that it managed to retain 90% of initial connection speeds on average during our tests, ensuring lagging-free gaming on Xbox.
Server network. NordVPN has loads of servers around the world – 5,800 of them in 60 countries. So you’ll have plenty of choices to change your IP address and avoid DDoS attacks while gaming.
Features. With this VPN, you get loads of useful features for security. This includes Threat Protection to ensure you’re not affected by trackers or downloading malware. Plus, there’s a kill switch to protect you from accidental data leaks.
Price. You can get NordVPN starting from $3.19/month. Android users can make use of the 7-day free trial (that can be used on other devices after setup). There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee available.
Find out more in our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – unlimited connection VPN for Xbox consoles
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 85% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Surfshark is yet another excellent VPN for Xbox. It’s everything you’d want in a security product and more – reliable, powerful, and fast. Plus, you can either get Surfshark pre-configured on a router or use its detailed router setup guides to have a simple VPN setup experience on Xbox.
Speed. This VPN uses the OpenVPN and WireGuard protocols – that’s a big part of the reason why this VPN manages to retain 86% of initial internet speeds on average. So you won’t experience lagging or any visible speed drops while gaming.
Server network. Surfshark has over 3,200 servers in 100 countries. So you’ll have many options to change to a new IP address and prevent unexpected DDoS attacks.
Features. With this provider, you’re getting a market-standard kill switch for security. There’s also the CleanWeb feature to keep you protected from trackers. And if you get the Surfshark One bundle for an additional cost, you’re also secured with antivirus software.
Price. Surfshark costs just $2.30/month, and you can use it on an unlimited number of devices. There’s also a 7-day free trial for macOS, Android, and iOS users, and, of course, a 30-day money-back guarantee.
3. IPVanish – affordable VPN for Xbox
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2,200+ servers in 52 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 75% OFF IPVanish!🔥|
IPVanish may not be the biggest name in the industry, but it's an excellent VPN for Xbox. It’s a partner of FlashRouters, so you can get a pre-configured VPN. Aside from that, there are loads of instructions on how to set the VPN up using DD-WRT firmware, ASUS, and other routers on their site.
Speed. Like most top VPNs, IPVanish uses the OpenVPN and WireGuard protocols. During our tests, it retained an average of 80% initial download speeds. That’s enough for both interruption-free gaming and casual browsing.
Server network. With more than 2,200 servers in 52 countries, IPVanish can truly boast its server fleet. You won’t have trouble finding servers to change your IP address while maintaining optimal speeds.
Features. With this VPN, you get to hide the fact that you’re connected to a VPN with its traffic obfuscation feature. There’s also a standard but reliable kill switch and split tunneling in case you want to split which traffic goes through a VPN and which doesn’t.
Price. IPVanish prices start from $2.99/month. And while there’s no free trial, you do get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read more in our IPVanish review.
4. ExpressVPN – privacy-ensuring VPN for Xbox
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan!🔥|
ExpressVPN is a privacy-guaranteeing VPN for Xbox. It effectively secures your private data and offers a router applet. You can even get a pre-installed VPN from FlashRouters. But the provider’s site doesn’t lack in terms of manual tutorials for different routers either, including specific Asus or Linksys models.
Speed. With ExpressVPN, you get the OpenVPN protocol and a modern variation of WireGuard called Lightway. It helps retain around 77% of initial internet speeds on average.
Server network. ExpressVPN offers over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. You won’t only find servers to change your IP address, you’ll find plenty with optimal speeds. DDoS attacks on Xbox won’t be an issue either.
Features. With this VPN, you get stealth servers that conceal your VPN traffic, making it appear regular. Plus, there’s a router applet for making the process of setting up a VPN on a router easier.
Price. You can get ExpressVPN for $6.67/month. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee available in case you change your mind.
5. CyberGhost – fast and secure gaming console VPN
|Servers/countries||9,600+ servers in 91 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+|
|Current deal:||🔥Get CyberGhost VPN, now 84% OFF + 3 months FREE🔥|
CyberGhost is a speedy service for Xbox devices that also has specialized servers that are optimized for gaming. It also has a partnership with FlashRouters, letting you find pre-configured options. But CyberGhost also has loads of manual guides for DD-WRT, TomatoUSB, and other router setups.
Speed. CyberGhost uses both the OpenVPN and WireGuard protocols. Combined with a massive server network, CyberGhost offers excellent performance. Our tests showed an average of 84% initial speed retention rates, making it a fast and lag-free Xbox VPN.
Server network. With over 9,600 servers in 91 countries, you won’t ever have to encounter DDoS attacks while playing games. Not to mention that CyberGhost provides you with specialized servers for an optimized gaming experience.
Features. CyberGhost is a feature-rich service. It has specialized servers for gaming as well as a kill switch and ad blocker
Price. You can get this VPN for $2.11/month. There’s a 1-day free trial for desktop, 3-day for Android, and 7-day for iOS users. A generous 45-day money-back guarantee is available as well.
Find out more information in our CyberGhost review.
How we tested and selected these VPNs
Choosing the best VPN for Xbox is not a complicated task. You must, however, be aware of the critical factors you should consider when making a decision.
Here’s how we tested and selected these Xbox VPNs:
- Ease of use. You can’t use a VPN on Xbox unless you install the VPN on a router, but it can be a tricky process. That’s why we only included VPNs that provide you with clear router installation guides.
- Performance. We tested the speeds of various services and chose the fastest VPNs for this list.
- Server fleet. The more servers a VPN has, the more IP addresses you get to make use of without compromising speeds too much. Plus, you’re more likely to prevent DDoS attacks.
- Security. We checked the security features the VPN provides. All of our recommended VPNs include a kill switch to prevent data leaks. Extra features like threat protection or split tunneling are a plus.
- Price. The price is one of the first things people look at when making any purchase, and VPNs are no different. Fortunately, we chose services for every pocket.
How to install a VPN for Xbox
Installing a VPN on Xbox is not that complicated. However, if you’ve asked yourself “how do I use a VPN on console,” here's your answer – you cannot set it up directly. For this, you have to install it on your router or a laptop that allows you to create a mobile hotspot.
Setting a VPN on a router
The installation process differs from one router to the other. So, below, I listed some general tips that will help:
- Find your router's IP address. On Windows, open Command Prompt, enter the command "ipconfig" and press Enter. The router's IP address will be under "Default gateway."
- Log into your router’s control panel. Enter the router's IP address into your browser and log in. You will find your router's default login details by Googling "[router model] default login details."
- Follow the VPN's router installation guide. All major providers offer guides on their support page. If you find a guide for your brand of router, follow the steps you see there.
- Connect to the network via the router's control panel. All devices you connect to the router on which you installed the VPN will be covered.
Note that not all types of router firmware support VPNs. You can flash your router to install a different firmware, but this can be a bit more complex. Get help if you're not sure what you're doing – flashing the router incorrectly can damage it.
Sharing a VPN connection over wifi
Another way to install a VPN on an Xbox is by sharing the connection over a mobile hotspot. You can install a VPN on your laptop and then create a hotspot with it. Then, connect the Xbox to it and that’s it. However, it’s worth noting that the performance after such VPN setup will be worse than when installing the service on a router.
Now, the process of sharing a VPN connection over wifi differs from one operating system to another. Below, you’ll find instructions for Windows 10 and macOS.
Sharing a VPN connection on Windows 10
- Go to your laptop’s Settings > Network and Internet > Mobile Hotspot
- Click on Wi-Fi and then enable Mobile Hotspot
- Go back to Settings > Network and Internet > Change adapter options
- Right-click on [Insert your chosen VPN here] Windows Adapter and go to Properties
- Click on the Sharing tab and check the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection box. The hotspot you created should appear in the drag-down menu above the adapter. Its name should be Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter. Click on it
- Connect your Xbox to your laptop as you would your wifi
Sharing a VPN connection on macOS
Please be advised that you must connect your Mac to the internet via ethernet cable, not Wi-Fi.
- Get the account credentials from the VPN provider you choose
- Set up an L2TP/IPsec VPN on your Mac
- Go to System Preferences > Sharing
- Go to Internet Sharing, but don’t click on Enable yet
- Choose the VPN connection from the drop-down menu and check the Wi-Fi box that says "To computers using"
- Set the wifi password in Wi-Fi Options
- Go back to Internet Sharing and now click Enable
- Connect to the VPN
- Connect your Xbox to your Mac via wifi
Fastest VPNs for Xbox
When using a VPN for Xbox consoles, it’s better to get one that doesn’t visibly slow down your connection speeds. After all, a laggy online game isn’t on top of a gamer’s wishlist. So, here are the fastest VPNs for Xbox according to our tests:
- Baseline testing speed: 300 Mbps download/300 Mbps upload
|Avg. download speed (WireGuard)||270 Mbps||258 Mbps||240 Mbps||231 Mbps||254 Mbps|
|Avg. download speed (OpenVPN)||212.6 Mbps||120.2 Mbps||137 Mbps||174.1 Mbps||109 Mbps|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark review||IPVanish review||ExpressVPN review||CyberGhost review|
Can I use a free VPN with Xbox?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for Xbox consoles, yet we advise against it. Using unreliable and completely free VPNs can end up doing more harm than good. Some services are known to collect and sell your data to third parties, or even install malware on your device.
A better alternative is freemium VPNs – free versions of paid VPNs. They’re trustworthy and offer basic security. However, they’re limited in servers, features, and, often, speeds.
The best solution is going for premium providers and making use of their free trials and money back guarantees.
- NordVPN – offers a 7-day free trial for Android that you can use on other devices after setup. A 30-day money-back guarantee is also included.
- Surfshark – has a free 7-day trial for macOS, Android, and iOS users as well as a 30-day money-back guarantee to test the service out.
Watch our video about the best VPNs for Xbox to make the right purchase decision. You'll learn everything about the top products – from price to features, to security, and more.
Xbox VPNs are useful for preventing DDoS attacks and ensuring overall privacy and security while gaming. When looking for a VPN for such consoles, it’s important to find services that support router setup, ensure great security features, and don’t compromise speeds.
Our top suggestion is NordVPN. It retains an average of 90% of initial connection speeds, has excellent security features, and doesn’t drain your wallet. Coming at $X/month, NordVPN will help you forget all about DDoS attacks and let you game in peace.
A VPN is also useful for general security on all devices. It hides your private information and IP address to protect you from malicious actors and your Internet service provider. It’s a great tool for ensuring your online activities are visible for your eyes only.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can you use a VPN on Xbox?
You can use a VPN, such as NordVPN, on Xbox consoles but only if you set the VPN up on a router. Xbox doesn’t support VPNs directly, so you’ll need to follow guides and install the service to protect your whole network.
What VPNs work on Xbox?
Only VPNs that you can set up on your router or mobile hotspot can work with Xbox consoles. If you install a VPN such as NordVPN on a router, you’re guaranteed a DDoS-free gaming experience at all times.
Can someone hack your Xbox IP address?
Yes, there are ways hackers and DDoS attackers can get your IP address, but not if you're using a VPN, such as NordVPN. One of the primary roles of a VPN is to hide your actual IP address, making it virtually impossible for someone to commit a DDoS attack on you.