Cheap website builder – get the best, for less
A good website builder doesn't have to squeeze your wallet dry. In fact – there are some excellent deals that can help you quickly make a beautiful website.
If "you get what you pay for" was a universal truth, then all website builder consumer advice would be incredibly simple: just dish out the cash, and you'll be fine! The more money you spend, the better product you get, right?
It's never as simple as this. Some website builders are serious money-burning schemes, charging exorbitant fees for subpar products. Others, however, offer excellent prices for terrific products – giving you great value for money.
These are the products you want to buy – and these are the products I wrote this list about.
After testing nearly every website builder that exists, I came up with this list of cheap website builder options. But I won't talk about the prices only. I'll also cover their pros and cons, and recommend specific builders for specific goals – so you can save money on the perfect inexpensive builder for you.
Sounds good? Let's get to it!
Best cheap website builder: overview
Here are the best cheap website builders:
- Zyro – the cheapest website builder
- SITE123 – excellent time-saving option for businesses
- Wix – all-around website builder
- Squarespace – cheap website builder with excellent designs
- Gator – very cheap option for beginners
- GoDaddy Website Builder – builder with business and marketing features
- Zenfolio – affordable website builder for photographers
- Weebly – solid website builder option for eCommerce
Use this list to navigate through the providers – also, at the end of the list, there will also be a helpful guide on picking the right budget for your website builder. Check it out as well!
1. Zyro – the cheapest website builder
|Features||AI tools, intuitive grid building system|
|Best for||Personal projects|
Zyro Basic plan starts at just $2.90/month, making this the cheapest website builder on this list. It's one of the best ones, too – so there's no wonder why Zyro is right here, at the very top.
Thanks to an intuitive website building interface, and some excellent basic business tools, Zyro is a top option for beginners looking for an affordable way to make a serious online presence,.
Buy Zyro for a long term – this way, you can pay just $139.20 for 4 years. 48 months of making excellent websites, without having to be worried about bills and payments? Sounds like a terrific deal!
Zyro offers two website building solutions for the price of one. You can either choose from one of the 130+ modern templates, and build a website around them.
Or pick the AI-website generator, which will build several example sites based on your needs and preferences.
The site editor itself is sleek, fast, and very intuitive. It's a design that should be easily mastered by beginners and experts alike.
And while is the editor is the star of the show, the tools are a perfect supporting act. Zyro offers several AI functionalities, and several more text generators, letting you build your online presence easier than ever before.
Overall – Zyro is a solid, basic website builder. You can see more about it on our Zyro review.
Is Zyro good value for money?
Zyro is 100% excellent value for money – simply put, other builders would offer you features, similar to what's on Zyro's $2.90 plan and then try charging several times more! This Zyro plan includes full hosting, domain, and over 130 different templates, making it a simple, all-inclusive option, at a low price.
Although it's important to know that in order to get the best prices, you'll need to pay for the whole (long!) period in advance. For instance, when paying monthly, the $2.90/month plan increases to $8.90 a month, making the previously sweet deal just a little bit bitter.
But of course, the $2.90 plan isn't the only one here. Let's take a deeper look at all Zyro plans, and what exactly will you get with each of them.
- Basic ($2.90/month) – this is an excellent plan for personal sites. A free SSL certificate is added to make your site more reliable and secure, and you get all core website-building features, as well as access to all SEO and AI tools.
- Unleashed ($3.90/month) – everything offered in Basic, except that the bandwidth and the storage are unlimited. You also get a free domain for a year, and additional marketing features – like Messenger live chat, Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel Google Tag Manager, and Visitor remarketing. This plan would suit a larger website – or a small marketing-centered project.
Moving on, while the two plans above may be suitable for making a nifty regular website, neither allows you to sell online. The following two do.
- eCommerce ($9.90/month) – all features from Unleashed are included. But you can also sell up to 100 items, accept online payments with 0% commission, and get access to all eCommerce functions. Other features include discount coupons, gift cards, order and inventory management, shipping and tax management, as well as multiple payment options. For a small online shop, this plan would do.
- eCommerce Plus ($14.90/month) – all features from eCommerce are included. However, you can sell unlimited products. There's also abandoned cart recovery, multiple languages for your store, product filters, selling on Facebook and Instagram, as well as Amazon. It's a great plan for a small to medium online shop.
For both regular websites, and aspiring eCommerce enterprises, Zyro has a right affordable plan. It's on top of this cheap website builder list – and rightly so.
- Cheapest website builder plan – at just $2.90/month
- Free SSL on all plans
- Helpful AI tools
- Cheapest plan does not include a domain
- You have to pre-pay and renewals are a bit higher
2. SITE123 – practical tool for big businesses
|Features||Simple block builder|
|Best for||Small business sites|
SITE123 might not be the cheapest builder on this list, with prices for the Basic plan starting at $12.80/month. But time is money – and SITE123 is a world-class solution in saving that.
With a solid block-based building system, you can make intricate and massive websites for all kinds of businesses, complete with various professionally-made sections. All of that, with no prior website building experience required.
Plus, we know a trick or two in how you can all of this much, much cheaper.
The longer is the term you buy SITE123 for, the better! The $12.80/month price for a Basic plan is valid when purchasing the builder for a year. But if you choose a massive 10-year plan, you will have to pay a total of $600 – reducing the price of the plan all the way to $5/month! Pick a long-term plan, save money, and make excellent websites for years to come.
Using SITE123 is as simple as...as simple as...fine, I'll say it. It's certainly as simple as counting 1-2-3. All there is to it is picking the type of website you wish to have.
And then, a test website will be made – it's up to you whether you wish to use any of other existing templates.
Or simply go to town with the section editor, picking from over 150 site blocks and making the kind of website you wish to have.
Instead of having to deal with the specific blocks including things such as text or images, here you get everything pre-made. Sections for blogs, testimonials, team members, products, sales, portfolio tools, and more massively reduce the website building time, letting you focus on more pressing matters.
SITE123 saves time – and offers some good deals, while doing it. Have a look at our SITE123 review to know more.
Is SITE123 good value for money?
SITE123 offers solid value for money – with the long-term pricing applied, it becomes even better, as there are substantial discounts to an already reasonably priced $12.80/month plan.
Let's take a deeper look at all of the plans offered by SITE123, see how much they cost, and which offer the best value for money. Let's start with the basic options:
- Basic ($12.80/month) – it includes 10GB of storage and 5GB of monthly bandwidth, making it a good option for small to medium websites. Email marketing is available but limited to only 100 messages a month. There's eCommerce, too, but it's limited to a total of 10 products.
- Advanced ($19.80/month) – storage and bandwidth increased to 30GB and 15GB respectively. You also get professional mailboxes for sending and managing emails. Mailing list messages increase to 1,000 a month, monthly eCommerce order limit increases to 50.
If you're more of a business user, looking to build a solid online presence, these two plans may not be up for the task. Instead, these plans should do:
- Professional ($28.80/month) – 90GB of storage and 45GB of bandwidth, enough for seriously big sites. Advanced website statistics, 5 separate mailboxes, website multilanguage tools, eCommerce monthly order limit increased to 500.
- eCommerce Plus ($34.80/month) – 270GB of storage and 135GB of bandwidth, enough for pretty much everyone and everything. 10,000 monthly email messages, 10 mailboxes, 5 multilanguage sites, and advanced eCommerce features with unlimited items. Big plan for big projects.
SITE123 offers professional website building tools, and excellent long-term plans. If you need a simple website builder for serious work, this is the way to go.
- Very easy to use
- Good built-in business features
- Solid long-term discounts
- Limited customization
- Best deals available only when committing to very lengthy period
3. Wix – all-around superstar
|Features||Two website editors, excellent customizability|
|Best for||Design and editing freedom|
Wix Combo plan costs $14 a month: but considering just how much you get for your money, this is a certified bargain. How so? Well – Wix is often considered to be one of the best website builders in the world.
With two very intricate and very different site editors, over 700 lovely site templates, and a massive array of tools to build and edit your site, Wix is a top-class tool for top-class pages.
The $14 Combo and the $27 Business Unlimited plans offer excellent value for personal and online store sites respectively. Have a look if there are any special deals that will reduce this price even further!
Immediately after signing on for a (free) trial, you get to go neck-deep into the main feature that makes Wix great.
Upon starting, you'll get to choose your adventure: either you want to use Wix ADI – an AI-powered website generator that will make a website based on preferences and answers, or Wix Editor – an intricate, pixel-perfect editor that will let you edit beautiful pre-made themes with unmatched precision.
If you were to pick the Wix ADI, there will be a simple questionnaire process, with the platform trying to get the most information out of you. This includes answering the question about your business, adding some of its data, and even choosing the specific elements and features for the site to have.
If you're more interested in Wix Editor, instead of doing all this, you'll go straight to picking out a preferred template which you'll later get to edit. Wix has over 700 options, separated into different topics and niches.
And really, it's the Wix Editor that's the star of the show here. You can pick out from hundreds of various elements to add and move around, as well as apps to connect. The site can be edited very extensively, letting you not have to adapt to the theme, but instead, make a site that's uniquely yours.
Wix is a tool that can help you make a completely custom website. For that price? As I said on my Wix review, it's a no-brainer.
Is Wix good value for money?
Wix isn't the cheapest website builder on this list – far from it! – but it absolutely knocks the "value for money" criteria out of the park. All Wix plans offer unrestricted access to both Wix ADI and Wix Editor. Both of these options are very well fleshed out, and each could be a separate platform. One for beginners, the other for more advanced users.
There is a bridge between the platforms that makes Wix truly special. You can use Wix ADI and its simple editor to make a website with no experience required. Then, you can transfer your Wix ADI site to Wix Editor, using the same premium plan. This way, you can both have a simple site made in just a couple of minutes, and later get to learn all the cool basics about website development.
Talk about having your cake and eating it.
How much is that going to cost? Well, on top of the free plan (suitable for testing only), you get 7 premium plans. 4 of them are for regular websites:
- Combo ($14/month) – you get 3GB of storage and access to all Wix design tools and editors. This plan works great for a personal blog or a school project.
- Unlimited ($18/month) – this one includes 10GB of storage, additional marketing, visitor analytics apps. A solid option for smaller marketing-centered websites.
- Pro ($23/month) – 20GB of storage, plus an events calendar app, a professional logo, and social media logo files. If you have a serious blog or a small business, this plan will suit you.
- VIP ($39/month) – all the Pro features, plus 35GB of storage, and priority customer support.
And the other 3 are focused on selling online – including secure online payments, recurring payment options, customer accounts, and a custom domain free for a year:
- Business Basic ($23/month) – comes with basic eCommerce tools, 20GB of storage, and $300 worth of ad vouchers. For a small shop just starting out, this plan is more than enough.
- Business Unlimited ($27/month) – storage bumped to 35GB. Additional eCommerce tools, such as subscription sales, dropshipping, and product review features. Good option for subscription/dropshipping-based businesses and bigger online projects.
- Business VIP ($49/month) – storage space is up to 50GB, plus even more eCommerce features – loyalty program and sales tax calculation features. Priority support is added as well!
Wix has a solution for everyone – honestly, everyone. This is why I like it as much as I do. Whether you're looking to learn site design, make a big online business, or just build a simple site, Wix has it all: for a good price.
- Two excellent site editors
- Plenty of great templates
- Solid business tools
- Classic editor may be tricky for beginners at first
- Still one of the more expensive options on the list
4. Squarespace – beautiful designs, affordable websites
|Features||AI tools, intuitive grid building system|
|Best for||Small businesses|
Squarespace starts at $12/month – for that price, you'll gain access to the ultimate mission control center.
It aims to be more than just a regular website builder – if you're in a market for an online store platform, email marketing tool, social media branding tool, and more, Squarespace is the option to pick.
Squarespace Personal plan for $12 a month offers all the core Squarespace features and lets you quickly grow your business. See if there are any special deals waiting for you!
Platform's first claim to glory comes through its themes. Simply put, they're modern and quite beautiful, putting images first and letting your visual stories speak for themselves.
A simple guide will teach the basics, and then, you'll be sent to the dashboard – which includes everything you can do in Squarespace, all in one place. There are tools for site design, online sales, marketing, scheduling, analytics, and more. This is where you can do all of your email marketing, social media posting – all that jazz.
The website design itself will be incredibly effortless, with plenty of pre-made sections that will automatically adapt to your chosen theme, as well as selected fonts and color schemes. But there's also an option to make these sections yourself!
As far as online businesses are concerned, there are some interesting things, too. For instance, I loved the guided experience when setting up my online store, making sure everything is perfectly sorted out, and as simple as possible.
Overall, Squarespace makes it effortless to build a beautiful, modern, and entirely custom website with all the business-related trimmings. Read the full Squarespace review right here!
Is Squarespace good value for money?
Squarespace offers pretty good value for money – it includes a solid amount of business features, a beautiful website editor, and still manages to be perfectly affordable for personal users.
While there is no free plan, everything can be tested through the 14-day free trial.
Once it expires, you'll need to pick a premium plan – here's what they are:
- Personal ($12/month) – all the website editing features and access to basic business tools – good for personal, or portfolio websites.
- Basic Commerce ($26/month) – no transaction fee, customer accounts, eCommerce analytics, merchandising tools, and sales on Instagram. Good for selling online!
- Advanced Commerce ($40/month) – this is pretty much a Basic Commerce on steroids. What’s extra? Abandoned cart recovery, you can sell subscriptions, advanced shipping and discounts, and commerce APIs. Good for a growing online shop.
Squarespace offers beautiful templates, and well-integrated business tools in one sleek package. If you want your site to look good, and be functional – this is the way to go, and the cheap website builder to pick.
- Beautiful templates
- Solid business tools
- Very simple to use
- Design flexibility could be better
- Business plan includes a big eCommerce transaction fee
5. Gator – cheap and simple website builder
|Features||Quick, automatically-generated websites|
|Best for||Small businesses|
Gator costs less than 4 bucks a month – making it one of the cheapest website builder options out there. On top of that, recently Gator has gone through a facelift, making it a super simple, super-fast website builder, perfect for small businesses and beginner users.
If you're looking to save some money (and some time!), Gator is a top-notch solution.
Gator is cheap as it is – with plans starting at $3.84/month. But we can do you one better! With a special discount for Cybernews readers, get Gator starting at just $3.46 a month! One of the cheapest website builders in the world is now even cheaper.
If you wish to see the best of what Gator can offer, take my suggestion – pick the Express option. The intelligent automatic editor is the new solution from Gator, making building sites incredibly simple.
No joke – it only took me a few minutes to breeze through the editing process. During that, I was given options to choose how my website will look: its theme, color scheme, and even smaller things, such as the navigation style.
These are no website templates, so prevalent in most other website builders. Instead, you'll leave the setup menu with a custom website, made entirely by you. It's just that simple.
As noted in the new Gator review, this builder makes everything as simple as possible and takes a lot of hard website editing questions right out of your hands. If you're a beginner who just wants to make a simple website, Gator will be perfect.
Is Gator good value for money?
Gator is certainly good value for money: it's one of the cheapest website builders on our list, and it does the simple things very well.
However, I didn't really like the fact Gator has no free plan, and even no free trial. Instead, you'll be asked to pick up a premium plan, with a full money-back guarantee allowing you to get your payment back if you're not satisfied.
Will you be satisfied? Let's take a look at the available plans and see what they offer:
- Express Start ($3.84/month) – all the core website building features. You can sell online – but only 3 products, and there's a 3% transaction fee. A good option for personal sites – but not selling.
- Express Site ($5.99/month) – you can sell 5 items now (but the transaction fee stays)! Priority customer support and booking features are also added, making this a solid option if you're running a business that needs appointments.
- Express Store ($9.22/month) – now this is an eCommerce plan! Everything from the Express Site plan, plus no transaction fees, and unlimited products. A great option for an online store, and the cheapest eCommerce website solution here.
Overall, Gator looks like an excellent option for building cheap websites. If you're looking to make a simple site on a budget, Gator is one of the best cheap website builder options for that.
- Low prices
- Simple and functional business features
- Easy to set up
- Very limited customization
- Websites won't look as modern as on some other options
6. GoDaddy website builder – affordable and perfect for marketing
|Features||Excellent marketing features|
|Best for||Businesses looking to find new audiences|
GoDaddy website builder starts at $6.99 a month – and for that price, you're getting more than a website builder. Seriously: GoDaddy itself calls this "Websites+Marketing", so you know that there's something more cooking down there.
Well, there definitely is.
This excellent suite for small businesses is a great option if you're looking to give your brick-and-mortar business an online presence, or wish to build a new audience using marketing and search engine optimization tools.
Use a generous 14-day trial to try any of the GoDaddy website builder plans. Then, choose any of the available options. Personally, I love the $6.99 Personal and $10.49 Standard packages, offering excellent value for money – pay yearly for the best deal, and build a solid online presence.
You get started with GoDaddy by simply choosing the type of website you wish to have.
Then, without much fuss, you make your way into the site editor, where a pre-made site is already waiting to be edited. The editor is sleek and intuitive, letting you quickly jump through various color schemes and layout options, without losing any of the content. Everything is rather nice and simple.
As for adding the content, GoDaddy offers numerous sections you can add, including some of the basic stuff like text, photos, and video, and more intricate things – like menus, livestreams, and donation buttons.
But it's not the website builder that's the star of the show! ("Really, on a cheap website builder post?")
Yes – by far the coolest thing about GoDaddy website builder is called InSight. It's a marketing tool, that asks you what specific goals you wish to reach with your website.
Then, it goes on to build you a special battle plan that will help you do it. It even helps you follow your progress and gives a score for your efforts!
I cover this process much, much deeper on my GoDaddy website builder review. But overall, if you wish to build a serious online presence but don't know where to start, GoDaddy website builder is an excellent option.
Is GoDaddy website builder good value for money?
GoDaddy website builder combines a website builder with an extensive marketing suite – so, for you to decide whether this is worth the money or not, it's important to take a look at the plans and see what specific features they offer.
Let's do exactly that right now:
- Basic ($6.99/month) – basic site editing features. You can connect 1 social media platform, make 5 monthly posts on it, and send you 100 monthly marketing emails.
- Standard ($10.49/month) – SEO tools added. You can connect 3 social media platforms, do 20 monthly posts, and 500 emails. This plan would go well with a small business just starting out.
- Premium ($13.99/month) – unlimited social media platforms and social posts & responses, and 25k emails/month. Unlimited content creation, online appointment features. Great for growing business.
- eCommerce ($17.49/month)– this is the only plan that allows you to sell online. It comes with all the features from all packages, plus complete eCommerce tools for an online store.
If you need more than a website, and look for an all-inclusive marketing suite, GoDaddy is the right option to choose. Inexpensive and very extensive, it's a great solution for small businesses searching for new audiences.
- Excellent business tools
- Easy to use
- Prices increasec heavily when paying monthly
- No in-depth customization
7. Zenfolio – cheap website builder for photographers
|Features||Protography-centered website builder|
|Best for||Photographers making portfolios|
Zenfolio is certainly a unique builder on this list. It's the only specialized option, focusing primarily on photographers. And starting at just $5 a month, it's an affordable way for photographers to store, showcase, and sell their art.
Excellent for both beginner users just looking to show what they make, and professionals, working with buyers and clients all across the world, Zenfolio is a very exciting builder.
For professionals, Pro and Advanced plans, offering excellent site editing and client management tools, can be cheaper than ever. With a special 40% discount for Cybernews readers, you can get these plans for an even lower price.
Setting up Zenfolio is seriously simple: at first, you just choose the type of website that you want. It can be a gallery, displaying a variety of images, or a classic website – showcasing you and your art in a more professional, curated way.
Then, the dashboard will guide you though the editing process, giving you all the tips for making a website, as well as showing your site activity.
This is where from you can use some of the photography-specific features, such as setting password-protected pages for your clients to visit, or even setting up automatic Lightroom integration for seamless photo transferring.
As for the site editing itself – it's very simple, and that seems done almost by design. Zenfolio's editor is minimalist, uses only a few basic templates, and a small variety of sections.
Here, your images will do all the heavy lifting, not the site sections.
And really, that's the way it should be. Zenfolio is a photography website builder, that makes generating websites for yourself and your clients as simple as possible. I liked it a lot on my Zenfolio review – it's a cheap website builder that's perfect for all the photography and design pros.
Is Zenfolio good value for money?
Zenfolio can offer some good value for money – and you can use the free trial to see it for yourself! But to really see what it can offer, we need to go deeper into the nature of Zenfolio pricing.
First up – the Portfolio plans. They are cheaper and focused on personal users first. Here’s what the plans have to offer:
- Portfolio ($5/month) – 7 basic one-page templates, shareable client galleries. Good for basic portfolio sites.
- PortfolioPlus ($12/month) – one-page and multi-page templates, email marketing, and eCommerce features. Suitable for freelance photographers, and those looking to sell prints and downloads of their art.
And now – the Pro plan, suitable for professional users.
- ProSuite ($25/month) – automated client bookings, pre-paid packages, and auto fulfillment. Perfect for professional photographers that want to spend more time taking photos than managing their website.
If you're a photographer, give this a shot, at least with the free trial. Zenfolio is a very exciting and unusual website builder, and at just $5 a month, it's absolutely worth it.
- Great photography features
- Well suited for beginners
- Good entry price and solid discounts
- Limited site editing
- Small number of available templates
8. Weebly – affordable way to sell online
|Features||Simple eCommerce tools|
|Best for||Small businesses looking to sell|
Weebly offers a free plan, and its premium options start at $5 a month: making it a pretty good deal right out of the box. Plus, this simple website builder is owned by Square – a massive payment platform, giving Weebly a lot of excellent eCommerce features.
It's a solid cut-price deal for both regular sites and online stores.
At $12 a month, the Pro package gives you all website building features, analytics, and even eCommerce functionality – it's a great deal for small businesses looking to go online.
You start your Weebly journey by choosing from one of the available templates. They're simple and separated into several different categories for different goals.
Then, it'll be all about the editing. Weebly uses a classic drag-and-drop editor, which allows you to pick any of the available blocks and build a website with them. As the name goes – just drag and drop them on your page.
Once everything is tailored to your liking, you can go check out Weebly's secret weapon, it's very solid eCommerce suite. Everything for eCommerce is available directly from the Weebly dashboard. Even a complete beginner will be adding coupons and gift cards, and adding it products in no time.
With the combination of a simple drag-and-drop website builder and a solid online store platform, Weebly is perfect if you're looking to sell online, and not break the bank while doing so. Check out the Weebly review to know more.
Is Weebly good value for money?
Weebly offers a pretty wide of plans. On top of the free options (obviously, fit only for testing), there are cheap deals for those on a budget, and more expensive eCommerce-centered options for those looking for solid value.
However, before jumping on the cheapest $5 plan and calling it a day, there are a few things to consider.
- Connect ($5/month)– storage is limited to 500MB, and you can connect a custom domain. You have access to basic SEO tools and full customer support. However, websites built with Connect will still have Weebly's branding on the site.
- Pro ($12/month) – storage is unlimited, ads are removed. Site search, HD video, and other site-building options are available. 3% transaction fee on eCommerce.
- Business ($25/month) – no transaction fee for eCommerce, advanced eCommerce statistics, item options, popup notifications, inventory management, automatic tax calculator, item reviews, etc. If you want to start a small online shop, this plan is perfect.
- Business Plus ($38/month) – everything above, plus abandoned cart emails and shipping calculator.
So there you have it – if you can live with Weebly keeping a little tab on your site promoting its product, the $5 plan is perfect. If not, it's not good value.
For selling online, however, the $25/month Business plan is excellent, offering solid eCommerce features and an extensive drag-and-drop website builder.
- Low entry price
- Solid eCommerce features
- User-friendly platform
- The $5 plan still displays Weebly ads
- Limited number of themes
Cheap website builder: final recommendations
There are many website builders that can help you save some money – but the ones mentioned on this post are my personal favorites. Some of them are downright cheap – offering best prices in the market, whilst keeping up in quality with their more expensive counterparts.
Others are on the more expensive side, instead offering excellent value, and aiming to save your time and nerves.
Either way, let's recap the top cheap website builder options:
- Zyro is the cheapest website builder here: and it's also perfect if you want to quickly make a website that just looks good.
- SITE123 offers a minimalist, affordable way to make a massive professional website.
- Wix is one of the best website builders in the world, and for a reason: two different massive editors, and excellent functionality make this the most versatile tool here.
- Squarespace gives excellent templates, and easy-to-manage business tools, as well as social media branding and posting.
- Gator Website Builder offers a very affordable website solution for total beginners, thanks to a foolproof site editor.
- GoDaddy Website Builder has excellent business tools, not only giving you tips on how to succeed but also making sure that you actually do.
- Zenfolio is an option for photographers, excellent for portfolio websites and online sales.
- Weebly is a simple, affordable website builder, best suited for selling online.
And, there you go! You’d do well with any of these providers. But of course, each has its pros and cons – so, look at your needs, wants, and preferences, to pick out the one that suits you best.
How much should YOU spend on a website builder?
Once all the providers are compared and accounted for, and you can tell your zyros from your wixes, a natural question might come to mind:
"How much should I really spend on a website builder?"
After all, every builder is going to promise you virtually the same benefits: great ease of use, beautiful designs, excellent online tools – only for you to compare the prices and see that they're drastically different. So, what gives? When is it fine to take the option for cheap websites, and when is it better to go for more?
Let's talk about that.
In general, only you can answer this question. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to website builders – but mostly, they can be separated into three different categories.
Super value builders
- Buy, when: you want a simple website with no bells and whistles attached
- Avoid, when: you're making an online business, are looking for special features
This is your Zyro or your Gator. These builders will cost very little and are perfect for personal websites, school projects, or simple landing pages for your brick-and-mortar business. For many people, such builders include everything they could possibly need – hosting and a domain name, some page designs, and designated spots to add information in.
However, if you decide to use this builder for something more – like extensive SEO, blogging, or selling online, you might run into some troubles. Most top features are hidden under a paywall, so you might have to spend a lot more just to unlock them. Plus, those features are usually much worse that their expensive counterparts! Nothing sucks quite a much as paying extra just to unlock a feature that is also pretty bad.
Use these for your basic cheap websites. Avoid them for your massive businesses.
Smart niche builders
- Buy, when: it offers an exact solution to your problems
- Avoid, when: you don't have a clear plan of what your website is going to be
When looking for a website builder, most of us have a goal in mind – what exactly they want the website to be, and what it should do. Zenfolio is the best example of a niche builder – it offers smart photography features, perfect if you're looking to build a portfolio, or work with clients. If you’re in photography school and don’t know squat when it comes to web development, this is a lifesaver.
But there are some possible issues, too – for example, trying to use Zenfolio for literally anything else. Or picking up Weebly, and suddenly realizing you don't want to sell online after all.
Pick these when you're extremely certain about what features and tools you want.
All-around online tools
- Buy, when: you're making a business, based around your website
- Avoid, when: you're on a budget
This category is reserved for serious business. This is where you'll find names like Wix and Squarespace. They're not very cheap website builders per se, but the additional features they offer might more than make up for the price increase. Completely universal, such tools can be used for blogs, portfolios, online stores, and much more, letting you take full control of what features and tools you really need.
They usually have several bespoke solutions included in one product: with their own blogging platform, marketing tools, eCommerce suite and more.
Of course, such products tend to cost more as well. If you'll only need a fraction of what they offer, it's not a worthy deal. But if you plan to make all kinds of websites, and make the best out of provided apps and tools, this will not be money wasted.
Use them if you want a complete solution.
Cheap website builder FAQs
Can I make a website for free?
Yes, you can – but there will be certain problems. The resources will be very limited, and your site will be branded with your chosen platform's subdomain and logo.
Which website builder is cheapest?
The cheapest premium website builder is Zyro – coming in at just $2.90/month, it's several times cheaper than some of its competitors.