According to news sources, hackers and cybercriminals stole $172 billion from people in 2017.
A study by Norton, one of the leading cyber security companies, has revealed that 978 million people, of which 143 million in the US, lost their money to cyber criminals in 2017. On average, this resulted in $142 per victim.
Governments and public institutions are also a popular target. For example, in May 2018, the wifi of the Atlanta airport went down because of a cyber attack on the city’s internet services. This led to a disruption of the arriving and departing flights.
As we can see from these examples, computer and network security are important for stopping data and money theft. It’s even more important for national security, and to prevent the shutting down of utilities and essential services.
To counter these threats, the best cybersecurity companies are constantly coming out with new products and services, some also educating people on how to secure their data and money. After all, weak passwords and unsafe online behavior often are the easiest way for hackers to get into our wallets.
Cyber attack types
There are four main cyber attack types that hackers use to break into computers and networks and make a profit.
- Ransomware. It’s when a virus infects the files and won’t go away unless a ransom is paid by the owner of the computer. As we can see from this detailed article on ransomware, paying the ransom doesn’t always mean you will regain access to your computer.
- Malware. It’s a kind of a computer software that sneaks into a computer and damages its files.
- Social engineering. In this case, a hacker pretends to be someone else, i.e., a bank representative, and tries to gain user’s trust. This results in stealing his or her personal data.
- Phishing. An example of phishing is an email from a fake address, asking the user to click on an embedded link. When it’s clicked, the user loses his sensitive information.
Luckily, there’s more than one cybersecurity company that offers various solutions that can help prevent cyber attacks. Below you will find a list of Top 8 that can be trusted.
Founded in 1987, McAfee is best known for its McAfee VirusScan anti-virus software, but they offer a bunch of different digital security tools for computers, servers, and mobile devices. It’s considered as one of the best cybersecurity companies in the world. Their words are “Together is power.”
McAfee Total Protection is a cybersecurity suite dedicated to individuals. It stops phishers, Trojans, viruses, rootkits, and malicious websites from harming your computer. It also includes a password manager so you don’t have to memorize all of them or store them in an unsecure place.
Available on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS, McAfee Total Protection also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
This company also has something to offer for businesses. Its McAfee MVISION is a cloud-based solution for protecting data and stopping threats to devices, networks, clouds, and on-premises environments.
Another cybersecurity giant, Norton is a division of Symantec focused on products for personal and business use.
Launched in 1991, its core product Norton AntiVirus has transformed into a security suite that provides real-time malware and identity theft protection as well as a password manager, a firewall, a VPN, and 2 GB cloud backup. If that wasn’t enough, Norton has created a PC SafeCam tool for your online privacy. It protects your webcam so that cybercriminals cannot take pictures with it.
Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS versions of Norton Antivirus Plus and Norton 360 are available.
Norton’s small business solution provides protection from viruses, malware, and other threats. Most importantly, it’s managed from a web portal where all devices can be registered under one account. As one would expect, the package includes 24/7 customer support.
Check Point is a multinational Israeli company, offering products both for individual customers and enterprises. Check Point has more than 100,000 corporate customers and has been mentioned in several Gartner reports.
This company has a wide selection of network, cloud, mobile, endpoint security and security management products.
Some of its network security products are:
- SandBlast – it provides security from the most sophisticated virus attacks and zero-day threats.
- Next Generation Firewall – it uses more than 6,000 web 2.0 applications to erect modern firewalls around companies.
Its Endpoint Protection suite for businesses allows managing all endpoint security from one console, full disk encryption, SandBlast, and Remote Access VPN.
A tech giant IBM offers a plethora of products for businesses of all kinds. Cybersecurity is also among them.
One of the tools is IBM Security Connect, which is a cybersecurity platform that integrates different security systems and connects all teams, tools, and data in one place.
Another one, IBM X-Force, is a threat intelligence product gives input on viruses, malware, spam and the reputation of websites and URLs.
IBM Guardium Data Encryption can encrypt and decrypt data without affecting databases, applications or computer networks. Encryption means keeping information secret. To decrypt it means to make it publicly available.
And finally comes Patch management. This product removes unauthorised downloads from computers and reduces the risk of virus and malware attacks.
Kaspersky Lab, a multinational cybersecurity and anti-virus provider, claims to have protected 400 million individuals from various forms of cyber attacks since being founded in 1997. In the last decade, the company has been known for uncovering a number of government-sponsored cyber attacks, such as Flame and Stuxnet. Their words are “Proven. Transparent. Independant.”
This Moscow-based cybersecurity firm offers its services to individuals, SMBs and large enterprises. Its services include internet security, password management, endpoint security, cloud security, and anti-virus security.
Kaspersky has a range of products for home users, with Total Security encompassing all features. Some of them are a secure browser for financial transactions on the web, a password manager, and file backup.
When it comes to business solutions, choices are tailored according to the company size. Nevertheless, all of them can include Security Policy Advisor for minimizing human error, Encryption Management, and Patch Management.
Palo Alto Networks
Founded in 2005, this multinational company specializes in enterprise-level advanced firewalls and cloud-based extensions to cover more aspects of security. It has more than business 60,000 customers, including 85 Fortune 100 organizations. Their words are “We ensure each day is safer and more secure than the one before.”
Some of Palo Alto Networks products are:
- Next generation firewalls as a physical or virtual appliance
- Panorama, a network security control center
- Threat prevention services
- Traps – an endpoint protection and response system
- Zero Trust network implementation
Mostly known for Windows, Office, and Xbox, Microsoft also provides cybersecurity products and services. Their words are “We believe in what people make possible.”
Here are some of the examples of solutions together known as Microsoft Threat Protection services:
- Azure Sentinel – a cloud-native security information and event manager that supports popular security solutions
- Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection – a cloud-based solution that includes antivirus, network and exploit protection, behavior monitoring and much more
- Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection – security service against phishing, zero-day malware, and other threats
- Azure Advanced Threat Protection – detects on-premise and cloud attacks using known-technique detection and behavioral analytics
- Azure Information Protection — also referred to as AIP, this product is a cloud security solution. It is used by organisations to protect their documents by classifying them. This classification is done by labeling and users can restrict access to those documents by applying the right labels.
- Azure Active Directory — this product helps in the safe and secure management of computer networks in a building, a neighborhood, city or even multiple locations around the world.
Started in 1988, this Japan-based company offers the enterprise cybersecurity services for servers, containers, cloud computing environments, networks, and end points. Trend Micro’s products provide automated security for such customers as Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Here are some of the examples of cloud security, network security, and user protection services:
- Hybrid Cloud Security – detects and protects across virtual, physical, cloud, and containers
- Intrusion Prevention – protects against known and unknown threats in real-time
- Advanced Threat Protection – designed to react to targeted attacks and ransomware in real-time by monitoring all ports and 100+ protocols
- Email Security – machine-learning based protection against malware, ransomware, and phishing attacks plus URL analysis at the time it’s being clicked