Best identity theft protection for business
Identity theft is one of the most critical problems for businesses. After all, no company, whether big or small, is entirely immune to it. A lapse in security could see your stolen data used for nefarious purposes like ownership transfer, fraudulent purchases, and loan fraud.
This could lead to heavy fines, damaged reputations, massive financial losses, and even more debilitating repercussions. Fortunately, there’s identity theft protection for your business. These services monitor your information and alert you when any suspicious activities occur.
In this article, we’ve shortlisted the best identity theft protection services for businesses. Let’s go through them and how they can protect both you and your business.
Top 5 best identity theft solutions for business
- Aura – best identity theft protection for business in 2023
- Norton LifeLock – identity theft protection with advanced alert system
- McAfee – reliable identity theft protection for business
- Bitdefender Ultimate Security – identity theft protection for businesses with antivirus
- Surfshark – identity theft protection for business with a powerful VPN
The best business identity theft services 2023 – an overview
To help you find the best business identity theft protection for your company, we’ve tested dozens of providers and picked the top five. These five services check all the right boxes in terms of functionality, price, customer support, and more. Let’s check them out.
1. Aura – best identity theft protection for business overall
|Dark web monitoring:||Yes|
|Insurance:||Up to $5M|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 42% OFF Aura Identity Theft Protection! 🔥|
An all-in-one solution, Aura protects modern businesses from various online threats. In its arsenal, it has antivirus, VPN, password manager, and comprehensive identity theft protection.
Why did we pick it?
- Identity protection. Aura monitors your business’ information. Plus, it also alerts if it detects threats or breaches to social security numbers (for sole proprietors), addresses, online accounts, passwords, credit scores, and more.
- Bank account and financial transaction monitoring. Monitor, track, and set alerts for your business’ financial products/services like banking accounts, credit cards, and investment accounts.
- 3-bureau credit monitoring. Aura’s 3-bureau credit monitoring notifies if identity thieves or anyone else try to take out loans or open bank accounts using your business’ name across three major credit bureaus: Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian.
- Support. Aura agents are available 24/7. Additionally, it also has a US-based white glove fraud resolution team to assist and resolve identity theft and fraud issues.
- Identity theft insurance. Up to $5 million in identity theft insurance is available to cover eligible losses.
- Additional security. To ramp up security, Aura’s security suite also comes with an antivirus, VPN, and password manager.
When billed annually, you can get Aura’s best plan and all the amazing benefits for $10.00/month, with a 60-day money-back guarantee included.
Learn more in our Aura Identity Theft Protection review
2. Norton LifeLock – full-suite business identity theft protection
|Dark web monitoring:||Yes|
|Insurance:||Up to $1M|
|Current deal:||🔥Get up to 66% OFF Norton Antivirus🔥|
An extremely comprehensive security solution, Norton LifeLock is the product of a merger between internet security firm Norton and identity theft protection company LifeLock.
Why did we pick it?
- Identity theft and fraud notifications. Alerts can be set up to track activities as well as threats to your business information. For instance, you can set up alerts for a fraudulent activity for your firm’s credit, checking, and saving accounts. You can also set alerts for investment account activity, identity, social security number, and crime committed in your business’ name.
- Data monitoring. Norton LifeLock offers all sorts of monitoring, including ID verification, credit, dark web, fictitious identity, phone takeover, and privacy monitoring.
- Reimbursement, compensation, and coverage. Up to $100,000 of stolen funds reimbursement is available if you’re a victim of identity theft. Additionally, Norton LifeLock offers up to $100,000 for personal expense compensation and up to $1 million coverage for lawyers and experts, too.
- Support. 24/7 live support and access to US-based identity restoration specialists are included.
- Additional features. Other security services like antivirus, VPN, and password manager are included in the subscription.
Norton LifeLock Identity Advisor which provides a credit monitoring service is priced at just $49.99 for the first year, but you’ll need the more expensive tiers to access the complete security suite. For many businesses, it’s a great investment considering the extensive features.
3. McAfee – identity theft protection with ransomware coverage for businesses
|Dark web monitoring:||Only for email|
|Insurance:||Up to $1M|
|Current deal:||🔥Get McAfee, save up to 67%🔥|
McAfee is an established name in cybersecurity. A veteran provider, it has all the bases well-covered and also has plenty of tools to protect against identity theft for businesses.
Why did we pick it?
- Identity theft protection. McAfee packs its plans with tons of tools to protect against commercial identity theft. This includes identity monitoring on the dark web, advanced alerts for breaches, personal data clean-up, and security freeze.
- Credit monitoring and lock. Its credit monitoring feature lets you monitor credit reports from three major credit bureaus and also alerts you to credit activity. Meanwhile, the credit lock tool helps to lock/unlock your business’ credit to prevent unauthorized access, fraud, and identity theft.
- Identity theft coverage. McAfee offers up to $1,000,000 coverage to cover eligible losses and fees if you do fall victim to identity theft and fraud. Plus, it also has a $25,000 ransomware coverage.
- Additional features. If you spring for premium plans, you’ll get ample additional security tools to protect your business. Among them are a password manager, a VPN, an antivirus, a firewall, and a file shredder.
The cheapest McAfee plan that comes with credit monitoring costs $39.99/year. It includes online safety perks and a decent ID theft protection. However, the prices go up several-fold to get the full spectrum of features.
4. Bitdefender Ultimate Security – leading antivirus with robust identity theft protection for businesses
|Dark web monitoring:||Yes|
|Insurance:||Up to $2M|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Bitdefender for up to 67% OFF!🔥|
Bitdefender is one of the most well-known and highly-rated antivirus providers on the market. However, in addition to its antivirus programs, it also offers very solid identity theft protection for businesses with robust features.
Why did we pick it?
- Identity data protection. The service scours social media, the internet, and even the dark web to protect your business information. Among other things, Bitdefender monitors changes of address, court records, sex offender registry, and breaches. You’ll be instantly notified if leaks or fraud are detected.
- Alerts for financial products/services. Set up alerts for changes on your business’ financial products like bank accounts, credit cards, and investments to minimize the risk of identity theft.
- Credit scores and reports. With Bitdefender, you can track your business’ credit scores and access credit reports from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion instantly.
- Recovery solutions and restoration. If you fall victim to identity theft, the provider offers insurance up to $2 million as well as white glove identity restoration by US-based Certified Protection Experts. Additionally, Bitdefender also has ransomware resolution and refunds up to $25,000.
Prices start from $19.99/year, and even though you won’t find a specific plan that offers identity theft protection, there are multiple bundles that will provide you with the needed security.
5. Surfshark – identity theft protection for business with highly-rated additional security features
|Dark web monitoring:||Yes|
|Current deal:||🔥Get up to 76% OFF Surfshark Alert🔥|
Surfshark might be known for its robust VPN, but the versatile security solution also has several, primarily preventive, features and tools that protect against business ID theft.
Why did we pick it?
Identity data protection. Surfshark Alert instantly notifies you if your business email address appears in breached online databases. Additionally, you can also set up alerts for things like personal ID numbers and credit cards.
- Antivirus. The provider’s antivirus program protects against viruses and malware with features like real-time protection, scheduled scans, and harmful file removal. This ensures that your business’ data remains safe from breaches and leaks.
VPN. Surfshark’s top-rated VPN is a vital defense against business identity theft. It hides your IP address and online activities, encrypts data, and prevents tracking to keep your business information safe from hackers and identity thieves.
- Incogni. Incogni is Surfshark’s add-on tool that automates data removal requests from data brokers to boost your business’ privacy.
- Alternative ID. Surfshark offers a tool to generate fake online identities and email addresses so you can protect your sensitive data from leaking or being sold to third parties. You can use this Alternative ID whenever creating new profiles on different platforms.
Identity theft perks are available with the Surfshark One subscription plan, which starts at only $3.49/month and include a VPN and antivirus perks as well. Best of all, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee for risk-free refunds.
To compile the list of best identity theft protection for business, we pay particularly close attention to a few factors:
- Identity data monitoring is at the core of identity theft protection. We made sure that the services monitor and track activities, leaks, frauds, and thefts.
- Real-time security alerts are also a pivotal factor in our consideration so that you can stay on top of the situation and prevent further unauthorized use of information.
- Credit monitoring is a huge part of business identity theft protection, so we paid close attention to services that track credit reports and credit scores.
- Insurance and reimbursement are on our checklist since they’re vital to cover pertinent costs like legal fees, out-of-pocket expenses, and restoration fees.
- Extra features are also taken into account. Most providers offer identity theft protection alongside other handy security solutions like VPN, password manager, firewall, and antivirus.
Comparison of best identity theft protection services for business
Let's see how the best identity theft services for business compare:
|Price||From $10.00/month||From $49.99/year||From $39.99/year||From $19.99/year||From $3.98/month|
|Dark Web monitoring||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Identity theft insurance||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
How to pick identity theft protection service for business
When you’re searching for the best identity theft protection for your business, there are a few criteria to keep in mind:
- Dark web monitoring feature – combs through the dark web where identity thieves can buy/sell your information. If your business data is found, you’ll be notified instantly.
- Data breach monitoring – monitors your business information and sends alerts to notify about leaks and breaches to data like social security numbers, addresses, online accounts, and passwords.
- Credit monitoring – tracks changes and suspicious activities on your firm’s credit reports caused by unauthorized new bank accounts, loans, or credit cards.
- Identity theft coverage – includes identity theft insurance, reimbursement, refunds, and restorations. The coverage helps to cover eligible losses and restoration costs in case of identity theft.
- Additional security services – include other security features to further protect against business identity theft. Some common extra features include VPN, password manager, and antivirus program.
- Pricing – identity theft protection is typically part of a security bundle or an antivirus software package, and these products are on the more expensive side of things, even for businesses. So, to get the best bang for your buck, go with a provider that is generous with features and doesn’t skimp on high-quality tools.
Why does your business need an identity theft protection?
Identity theft and fraud is a serious issue that costs businesses billions every year and leaves long-lasting effects. Here’s why your business needs identity theft protection:
- Prevent unauthorized activities, fraud, and identity theft. If your business’ identity data falls into the wrong hands, they could use it for all sorts of dreadful purposes like fraudulent purchases, ownership transfers, and fraud. This, in turn, could lead to a tarnished reputation, loss of trust, massive financial losses, cashflow problems, and even lawsuits.
- Minimize the risk of corporate identity theft. Hackers and identity thieves can easily access a business’ sensitive information via an employee’s compromised information. A wrong click by one employee could spell millions in losses and fines. With identity theft protection, you have an additional safeguard against this unfortunate possibility.
- Recoup losses. The costs associated with identity theft could be devastating to a business’ financial standing, especially for a small to mid-sized business. Identity theft insurance helps your business to recoup some of these losses as well as cover other necessary expenses like legal fees.
How can a personal business identify ID theft?
While businesses of all sizes could fall victim to identity theft, smaller personal businesses are at a higher risk because of their lighter security and smaller pool of resources. Here’s a look at how a personal business can identify identity theft:
- Review credit report. Review your business’ credit report thoroughly and regularly. Check for unfamiliar activities as well as changes or suspicious inquiries, which could be indications of fraudulent activity and identity theft.
- Monitor financial products. Review and assess your business’ financial products and services like bank accounts and credit statements. Keep an eye out for unauthorized charges, withdrawals, and suspicious transfers.
- Sudden multi-factor authentication alert. If you randomly received an authentication or verification code that you never requested, this could be a sign that your business account has been compromised.
- Missing mail. Check your mail frequently. Missing mail could mean that your sensitive documents have been intercepted and/or rerouted.
- Calls from debt collectors. If debt collectors come calling for outstanding payments, especially for unfamiliar accounts, this is a red flag. This could be a phishing scam, or an identity thief could have opened accounts or put purchases on your business tab.
- Make full use of an identity theft protection service. Not all identity theft can be easily identified. Leave the heavy lifting to a high-quality identity theft protection service, which should have all the necessary tools to monitor, identify, and resolve identity theft.
Can I protect my business for free from identity theft?
A premium high-quality identity theft protection service is the best way to protect your business from ID theft. However, if you’re on a tight budget, there are certain free measures that could help in a pinch.
For starters, a freemium service could be a practical alternative. Naturally, its functionality will be limited to just core features but it still adds an extra layer of data security. Additionally, most identity theft protection services offer free trials and money-back guarantees. While this isn’t feasible long term, it’s a great band-aid solution.
Beyond that, it also pays to train your employees to identify the different types of identity theft and understand best cybersecurity practices. This will help in recognizing the warning signs and mitigating the damage.
Plus, frequent reviews of your business reports, statements, and information to check for suspicious activities, unexplained transactions, and potential fraud help to curtail identity theft, too.
Identity theft protection is absolutely crucial to protect your business and its people from the destruction caused by the cyber threat.
Our first pick for identity theft protection for business is Aura. The well-rounded solution offers a long list of features and tools to minimize the risk of identity theft. However, if your business has already fallen victim to the crime, it also has generous insurance for you to recoup your losses. Plus, its additional features, like VPN and password manager, are incredibly handy, too.
Whether you’re preventing identity theft or pushing on after the crime, Aura is the best solution for your business.
More ID theft guides from Cybernews
What is the best identity theft protection for business?
Aura is the best identity theft protection for business with its robust features, including various monitoring and breach alerts. Plus, it also has up to $5 million in identity theft insurance for victims of identity theft. The security suite comes with extras like an antivirus, VPN, and password manager, too.
Can someone steal your business identity?
Yes, someone can steal your business identity to impersonate your business for unscrupulous purposes illegally. This includes financial fraud, like applying for new lines of credit, tax fraud, like filing fraudulent returns, and trademark ransom.
How can businesses protect themselves from identity theft?
Businesses can protect themselves from identity theft by investing in top-quality protection services like Aura. Additionally, businesses should also be vigilant in frequently reviewing records and data like credit scores, bank account statements, and tax filings. Identity theft preventive tools like VPNs, password managers, and antiviruses should also be fully utilized.
What are the reasons why businesses are more vulnerable to identity theft?
Businesses are more vulnerable to identity theft, firstly, because they’re required to make certain information like financial statements and employee identification numbers public. Additionally, business identity theft is also more lucrative since they have comparatively higher credit limits and handle bigger amounts.