How to remove Poshukach hijacker from your device (2023)
Your device is infected with Poshukach hijacker malware if your browser is redirecting you through the Poshukach.com website. This illegitimate search engine modifies the browser settings to display unwanted ads and pop-ups, track and collect users' online activities, and lead them to the fraudulent Poshukach.com website.
If you don't remove Poshukach promptly, it can collect personally sensitive data like credentials and banking details and sell it to third parties, resembling a spyware. Furthermore, fraudulent Poshukach search engine results can lead you to websites filled with more dangerous malware.
In this article, we'll explain how to remove Poshukach from your device and prevent it from reinfecting your web browser.
What is the Poshukach hijacker?
Poshukach is a browser hijacker malware that redirects the user through the fraudulent Poshukach.com search engine, displaying plenty of unwanted ads and scammy pop-ups. Simultaneously, it can monitor and collect the victims' online activities and personal information, posing a serious threat to online privacy.
Intrusive ads and browser redirects can, in turn, lead to more serious infections, like trojans or spyware. It will also negatively affect the web browsing experience by making it laggy and unreliable, so removing Poshukach as fast as possible is best.
You should suspect the Poshukach browser hijacker is infecting your device if your browser redirects your queries through Poshukach.com search engine, works slower than usual, displays plenty of ads, and leads to other unintended websites. Here are the details by which to identify Poshukach malware.
|Threat name||Poshukach, Poshukach.com|
|Type||Browser hijacker, potentially unwanted application (PUP)|
|Devices||Windows, Mac, Android|
|Symptoms||Browser redirects through Poshukach.com search engine, altered browser settings (default homepage, search engine, and new tab pages), intrusive ads and pop-ups, slower browser performance|
|Damage||Online privacy violations, disrupted browsing experience, heightened risk of future infections|
Similar malware examples
Browser hijackers like Poshukach malware are relatively common but should not be taken lightly. For example, the "Congratulations You Won" hijacker displays fake lottery surveys asking for personal details and then sells them to third parties to be used for more malicious scams, like credit card fraud or identity theft.
Mac users may recall the dubious Search Marquis search engine that displayed modified search results and annoying ads and led to potentially dangerous websites. Such malware aims to stay undetected for as long as possible, generating ad revenue for the attackers and tracking users' online activities.
Why is my browser using Poshukach.com?
You have caught a Poshukach browser hijacker malware if your browser is redirecting through the Poshukach.com search engine. Identifying where you caught the malware may not be obvious at first glance, but here are the most common browser hijacker infection sources:
- Software bundles. Browser hijackers are often hidden in bundled software installers. Unsuspecting victims accept to install all components, unaware that one of them is the malicious Poshukach.com hijacker.
- Infectious downloads. You can unintentionally download Poshukach by clicking on an infected ad, a fake download backlink, or downloading a malicious email attachment without reliable antivirus protection.
- Pirated files. You can catch the Poshukach malware downloading free software, video game cracks, and pirated material from illegal torrenting sites.
- Dubious websites. Free streaming websites, illegal online casinos, and dubious adult content websites are often ridden with infectious pop-ups or can even trigger a drive-by download that includes the Poshukach.com malware.
- Peer-to-peer networks. Malicious actors can infiltrate local peer-to-peer (P2P) networks to spread malware. It's particularly risky when downloading files and programs from unverified sources.
- Fake software updates. You may encounter convincing yet fake software update pop-ups, like the popular Adobe family product updates, that install unwanted malware if you click on them.
How to get rid of Poshukach
We have prepared a step-by-step Poshukach removal guide to get rid of this malware for good. The easiest way is to remove this malware using an antivirus. However, if you're wondering how to remove Poshukach manually, you'll find the necessary steps after that.
Remove the Poshukach.com browser hijacker with an antivirus
- Choose a trustworthy antivirus. Our top pick is TotalAV
- Subscribe to the software, then download and install it on your device
- Launch the app and perform a full system scan
- Follow your antivirus instructions to neutralize and remove the threat
Remove Poshukach from your devices manually
You can remove the Poshukach browser hijacker manually by following the steps below. We recommend carefully following each step, as infected leftover files could reinstall this malware.
How to remove Poshukach from Windows
Step 1: Uninstall suspicious programs
- Press the Windows key + R and type in control to open the Control Panel
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program option
- Right-click on the unwanted application and select Uninstall. Poshukach malware can be named differently, so sort the applications by install date and look for a recent suspicious entry
Step 2: Remove malicious browser policies
- Click the Windows key and type “cmd”
- Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator option
On the newly opened screen, type the following commands:
RD /S /Q “%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers” and press the Enter
RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy" and press the Enter
gpupdate /force and press the Enter
Step 3: Remove malicious scheduled tasks
- Press the Windows key and type Task Scheduler
- Click on the Task Scheduler Library on the left side
- Look for suspicious tasks that could be randomly called Chrome_Display, Chrome_Folder, or something similarly dubious
- Right-click on the suspicious task and Delete it
Step 4: Remove malicious files located in the AppData Local and Roaming folders
- Press the Windows key, type "run" and press enter
- In the Run app, type %AppData%" and click OK
- In the opened Roaming folder, look for suspicious folders that can also be randomly named. Sort by Date modified to locate recent dubious additions
- Press the Windows key and type "run" to open the Run app again
- Type "%localappdata%" and click OK
- In the opened Local folder, look for suspicious entries that could be randomly named WindowsApp, ServiceApp, or something similarly deceptive
- In the same Local folder, click on Google folder -> Chrome -> user Data ->Default (or Porifles) -> extensions. Look for dubious entries and delete them
How to remove Poshukach from MacOS
Due to Mac cybersecurity protocols, removing the Poshukach malware from macOS is rather simple and only takes three easy steps.
Step 1: Remove malicious applications
- Open the Go menu and click on Applications
- Look for a suspicious application and move it to the Trash
- Empty the Trash bin
Step 2: Remove malicious profiles
- Go to System Preferences and look for Profiles. You can skip this step if it is missing
- Click on the Profiles icon and look for a suspicious profile entry
- Click on it and then press the - (minus) button
- Click on Remove to get rid of it
Step 3: Delete malicious files
- Open the Go menu and select Go to Folder
- In the search field, type /Library/LaunchAgents and click Go
- Look for recently added suspicious entries in the LaunchAgents folder and delete them
Repeat the same process for the following directories (input in the Go to Folder):
How to remove Poshukach from Android
Poshukach browser hijacker has also been found on Android smartphones. Here are the steps to get rid of Poshukach.com from Android devices.
Step 1: Uninstall malicious apps
- Go to Settings and find installed apps in the Apps, Apps Manager, or Apps & Notifications section, depending on your model
- Look for a suspicious application you don’t remember installing
- Tap on it and select Uninstall
Step 2: Reset the browser settings
- Go to installed apps in Settings as in Step 1
- Find your browser and tap on it
- Tap on Storage/Storage & Cache
- Select Clear Storage -> tap on Clear all data -> and confirm by clicking OK
Reset browser settings on your device
Lastly, you need to reset the browser settings to ensure Poshukach is gone for good. Here are simple steps on how to remove Poshukach from Chrome and other popular web browsers.
- Click on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner and click on Settings
- Select Reset settings on the left
- Choose the Restore settings to their original defaults. Confirm it by clicking on Reset settings
- Click on the three horizontal dots in the upper right corner and select Help
- Click on More troubleshooting information
- Select the Refresh Firefox and confirm it by clicking Refresh Firefox again
- Click on the three horizontal dots in the upper right corner and choose Settings.
- Find the Reset Settings on the left, click on it, and select Restore settings to their default values
- Confirm it by clicking Reset
- Click on the Safari menu and choose Clear History
- Select a time period (we recommend clearing all history) and click on Clear History
- Return to Safari menu -> open Preferences -> open the Advanced tab and check the box near the Show Develop menu in menu bar -> open Develop menu -> select the Empty Caches option
- Return to the Safari menu again -> open Preferences -> open the Extensions tab -> look for a suspicious entry and Uninstall it
How can I protect my device against browser hijackers
Poshukach malware removal is the hardest part, but it's essential to make sure it will not come back. Below are easy-to-follow tips to secure your device from viruses and other online threats:
- Use a reliable antivirus. Antivirus is the best tool to get rid of Poshukach.com and similar browser hijackers. Robust antiviruses like TotalAV offer around-the-clock online threat protection to prevent malware from infecting your device even if you mistakenly download it.
- Apply software updates. Make sure your operating system, cybersecurity programs, and all other essential software are up-to-date, as older versions may have vulnerabilities hackers can exploit.
- Beware of software bundles. Do not hastily click the "Next" button when installing software packs. It's best to choose custom or advanced installation and manually go over each program to verify you're not installing a browser hijacker.
- Avoid pirated material. Downloading free software, video games, or movies on illegal torrenting websites can infect your device with harmful malware.
- Use public Wi-Fi protection. Cybercriminals target insecure public Wi-Fi hotspots to steal user data or infect their devices with malware. It's best to avoid using sensitive information like passwords or credit card details over public Wi-Fi or use a Virtual Private Network for Wi-Fi safety.
- Do not click on shady links. Hackers use public forums, emails, social networks, and chat platforms to spam backlinks that could download Poshukach hijacker on your device. Refrain from clicking on backlinks from unverified sources, and double-check the full address for typos or suspicious elements.
Although browser hijackers do not damage the device directly, they can cause serious problems if left unattended. The fake Poshukach search engine is known to collect and sell user data, which could result in more scams and financial losses.
Removing such malware is not always easy, so we recommend using an antivirus like TotalAV to scan your device if you have suspicions. Furthermore, it will identify and neutralize malicious software even if you mistakenly download a virus or click on an infectious backlink.
Removing browser hijackers manually is certainly possible. However, it's best to follow each step carefully, as Poshukach will come right back if you don't remove it from the browser environment after uninstalling it from your operating system. Overall, combining safe browsing habits with trustworthy cybersecurity software might be the best choice!
What is the best tool to remove the Poshukach browser hijacker?
You can remove the Poshukach browser hijacker using a reliable antivirus like TotalAV. Choose to perform a full system scan and allow it to remove the infection. We recommend turning the Real-Time Protection feature afterward to prevent future threats.
How do I know if Poshukach is hijacking my browser?
You can identify that Poshukach.com is hijacking your browser if you keep getting redirected through this website. Furthermore, it can display suspicious results in the search engine and shows ample intrusive ads and unwanted pop-ups.
How to remove Poshukach from Chrome?
To remove Poshukach malware from Chrome, you must go to Chrome settings and choose the Restore settings to their original defaults option. Remember that you must also scan your operating system with an antivirus or remove all Poshukach components manually to prevent it from reappearing on Chrome.