In this article, I will list the 5 best reseller hosting providers out there. Plus, I will attach the performance report and list out tips & important features to help you make the ideal choice.
The reseller hosting concept is very simple. You rent a lot of server space and resell it in smaller pieces for profit. In fact, even many well-known companies are reselling server space that they rent from major data centers. Just on a very large scale.
So, if you’re looking at reseller hosting options, there are probably 2 reasons:
- You want to start a hosting company but don’t have enough capital to purchase expensive hardware.
- Hosting websites is a part of your job because you are a web designer/developer, digital marketer, or online agency.
In the first case, the primary goal is to establish a brand and book profits. In the second, the possible purpose is easing the process and helping the clients.
But no matter the reason, you got to get good value for money and high-quality to ensure that you’re profitable and have a good reputation.
So in this best reseller hosting list, I’ve included only the best providers for their high-value and high-quality web reseller programs.
Best reseller hosting providers: ranked
- InMotion Hosting – best value for money reseller
- A2 Hosting – the best Linux reseller hosting solution
- InterServer – affordable and low-investment reseller hosting
- HostGator – best reseller service for small businesses
- HostPapa – best scalable cPanel reseller hosting
Providers are here, but how to pick the right one? At the end of the list, I’ve prepared some tips and information to help you choose. Jump straight there if you’d like.
1. InMotion Hosting
|Features||cPanel, WHM, WHMCS, white-label hosting|
|Best for||Affordable and all-inclusive plans|
InMotion is among the best providers for business use. As for its reseller plans, it has one of the best features-to-price ratios. The host includes generous resources and all reseller business essentials at a relatively low starting cost.
Here’s everything that you get:
- Even with the cheapest plan, InMotion Hosting provides a white-label control panel feature, plenty of SSD storage, unlimited email accounts, and security features to protect from DDoS attacks & malware.
- Moreover, for easy server management, it comes with cPanel & WHM included. Your customers will be able to use one of the best control panels available. Also, you’ll be provided with WHMCS for setting up and managing the billing for your clients. Other essentials, such as webmail and one-click installs are there too.
- If you also want to resell domains alongside hosting, they provide an eNom Domain Reseller account to do so.
- The 24/7 customer support is good too. To solve any problem, whether it’s scaling your plan or anything else, you can contact them via live chat, email, Skype, or phone number.
- On top of all this, InMotion gives a no-questions-asked 90-day money-back guarantee. This is 3 times more than the regular industry offerings.
What I like about InMotion Hosting web reseller program the most is that you get a full package – no extra expenses needed. Unless you require something custom. This makes it a good starting point for your own business with minimal investment.
InMotion Hosting pricing
InMotion’s reseller plans start at $15.39/month if purchased for 2 years. This cheapest plan is among their shared reseller plans. The highest configuration plan available on a shared reseller costs $30.24/month. The VPS reseller plans, on the other hand, start at $35.99/month and go to $67.99/month for maxed-out resources.
All of the plans – shared or VPS – have all the needed features: free SSLs, management and control panel software, email accounts, and even server+website protection.
At the same time, each plan provides a different level of resources:
- The R-1000S plan includes 80GB SSD storage, 800GB monthly bandwidth, a free dedicated IP, and 25 cPanel accounts. If you are handling a few small business websites, this plan is of pure value.
- R-2000S comes with a little bit extra. It has 120GB SSD storage, 1200GB monthly bandwidth, a free dedicated IP, and 50 cPanel accounts.
- R-3000S is InMotion’s top-tier shared reseller offering. It is ideal for starting a hosting company with 50+ clients in the foreseeable future. Why? Because it offers 160 GB SSD storage, 1600 GB monthly bandwidth, a free dedicated IP, and 80 cPanel accounts. Additionally, you get 2 hours of dedicated help for custom server setups.
- Reseller Cloud hosting plans start at $35.99/mo and can be configured as needed – cPanel accounts start at 5, storage goes up to 125GB, and bandwidth can be scaled to 6TB. It’s more of a custom option for specific needs if none of the regular plans fit you.
Apart from the plan costs, there are a couple of upsells as well. You can add a backup manager priced at $24 for one year, with the additional backup cost of $2/mo for the first 10GB & $1/mo for each additional 10GB.
Overall, the cheapest plan looks like a great starting point. Especially if you look to host your clients’ sites or if this is your first reseller business. $15.39/mo rate is among the cheapest available.
Check InMotion Hosting Pricing Now
InMotion Hosting performance
With InMotion, the performance was as stable and reliable as it gets.
During the monitoring period, it was up and running 100% of the time. 0 outages or hiccups whatsoever.
As for response time, it was very consistent. While it averaged at 585ms, which is not the top of the class, the fluctuations were minimal, guaranteeing good stability.
For the best possible response time, select the near-to-your-audience data center from the 2 options you have – Washington and Los Angeles. This means that InMotion Hosting is best reserved for US-based businesses targeting US audiences. Other locations might experience less than optimal speeds due to latency.
In a nutshell, InMotion hosting is an excellent performer as far as server uptime and speed goes.
All things considered, InMotion provides some of the best value reseller hosting plans for both low-traffic sites and resource-intensive sites. It is feature-packed and value for money hosting with reliable server performance.
- All needed management and automation tools included
- Affordable prices to start your own business
- 100% uptime result
- Automated backups cost extra
- Datacenters in the US only
2. A2 Hosting
|Features||Free SSL, cPanel, Web Host Manager (WHM)|
|Best for||Performance-focused website hosting resellers|
A2 Hosting is a versatile option – it has both standard reseller plans and top-grade servers for performance-focused hosting. At the same time, it remains among the most affordable options and includes all the needed essentials.
Here’s all that you get no matter which of the plans you choose:
- White-label cPanel accounts for your clients and WHM (Web Host Manager) for you. Cheaper plans also get Blesta billing management system, while more expensive ones can choose a better-known WHMCS. Other essentials include email accounts, SSL certificates, and comprehensive security features, including firewalls and DDoS protection.
- Reselling domains and SSL certificates from eNom are also included in all of the packages.
- You have a pretty good data center choice – the US, Europe, and Asia locations are available.
- If you pick Turbo-brand plans, you’ll get server space on the most up-to-date servers that feature LiteSpeed web server and support HTTP/3.
- In case you want to contact the support team, you have 3 24/7 options: support ticket, live chat, and phone call.
In brief, A2 Hosting includes all essentials plus strong security. However, the main thing about it is the flexibility – you have many options to make it work for your needs.
A2 Hosting pricing
A2 Hosting reseller plans pricing start at $14.99/mo for the basic packages. If you’re looking into performance-focused plans, the same level of server resources will cost you $22.99/mo. These prices are available with a 3-year subscription.
Each of A2 Hosting’s plans comes with SSL certificates, management and billing systems, and security features such as automatic backups, hack and malware protection, and firewall configurations. But, the primary difference, as with every other hosting, lies in storage and bandwidth.
- Kickstart includes 60GB SSD storage and 600GB bandwidth for 20 reseller accounts.
- Turbo Kickstart has similar 60GB NVMe storage and 600GB bandwidth for 20 reseller accounts, yet it is hosted on more powerful servers with LiteSpeed webserver setup.
- Launch offers 100GB storage and 1TB bandwidth for 30 cPanel accounts.
- Turbo Launch comes with the same 100GB storage and 1TB bandwidth for 30 cPanel accounts on a more powerful server.
You can scale both the regular and Turbo plans up to 270GB storage, 2700GB bandwidth, and 75 cPanel accounts.
Kickstart plan is an excellent entry plan, but Launch, not even 2 times more expensive, offers significantly more server resources. If you’re planning a large business operation, it’s a good place to start.
Check A2 Hosting Pricing Now
A2 Hosting performance
Justifying the pricing increase for its Turbo-brand plans, A2 Hosting delivered some of the fastest server results.
The uptime stood at 99.98% over a couple of weeks. That’s just 1 outage that lasted 5 minutes.
At the same time, response time was impressive. It averaged at 253ms and was very stable, with the maximum barely reaching 300ms.
So performance considered, A2 Hosting has some of the most powerful and reliable servers you can get for your clients.
As a whole, A2 Hosting is a flexible reseller service that satisfies the needs of many business ventures. Whether you need high-performing servers for your clients or want to start your own hosting company at a low price – it’s available here.
- All needed management tools are included
- Servers in the US, Europe, and Asia
- Reliable and very fast performance
- Resources are not very generous
- Higher renewal prices
|Features||cPanel, Web Host Manager, malware protection, automated backups|
|Best for||Highly secure month-to-month hosting|
InterServer is an all-rounder when it comes to reseller hosting. It has flexible plans that can be scaled as needed, but the main attraction is monthly billing. This is the most affordable way to start a reseller web hosting business.
At the same time, InterServer’s package is on the basic side:
- Each account gets management software and cPanel accounts for clients. Plus, security features such as automated backups, a custom firewall, and recovery are there.
- Essentials like domains and email accounts are not limited.
And that’s about it – it’s more of a bare-bones service that you can tweak however you like. That’s why it’s better for developers and other experienced users. Another reason for this is the customer support – while agents are available 24/7, they often get stuck behind the more advanced problems.
Altogether, InterServer is an affordable way to start a reseller business and tweak it how you like it.
InterServer has 5 cPanel reseller hosting plans. The cheapest among those, i.e., RS One, costs $19.95/month if you renew monthly. The RS Five, i.e., the most expensive plan, costs $69.95/month.
All plans come with unlimited domains and email accounts. They also provide you with Web Host Manager and cPanel accounts for your clients. The other resources are different:
- With 80 GB storage, 500 GB bandwidth, and 20 cPanel accounts, RS One is ideal for starting out.
- RS Two includes 100 GB storage, 700 GB bandwidth, and a capacity of 30 cPanel accounts. Not the biggest resource increase from the cheapest plan, to be honest.
- Offering 160 GB storage, 1000 GB bandwidth, and 40 cPanel accounts, RS Three is a great package for agencies and larger resellers.
- RS Four comes with 200 GB space, 1300 GB bandwidth, and 50 cPanel accounts for your clients with this plan. A pretty good alternative to the previous plan for better-scaling flexibility.
- RS Five is InterServer’s top-tier plan. 240 GB disk space, 2000 GB bandwidth, and up to 70 cPanel accounts capacity can help you sell shared hosting to 50+ clients with very little traffic.
Apart from the plans, you can purchase a unique IP address for $3/month and a private DNS for $5/month.
The pricing might seem expensive if compared to other providers on the list. Well, it’s not. Why? Because other providers’ mentioned price is only applicable if you purchase a lengthier subscription. If we were to compare the actual or renewal price, InterServer is cheaper.
Choose the cheapest reseller plan with InterServer to start your reseller business with low investment. That's just $19.95 each month.
Check InterServer Pricing Now
Over the monitoring period, InterServer proved to be steady and reliable, yet quite slow.
During the monitoring, I’ve recorded 0 outages. That’s 100% uptime.
The average response time was 1s. Quite frankly, it is dull. At the same time, you should try implementing some speed-boosting tech to get better results yourself.
Overall, performance-wise, InterServer is good. Not the best, not the worst – just good.
To sum it up, InterServer has great uptime, good performance, and at the top of the list, a great pricing structure for trying out reselling without any risk.
- Possibility to pay monthly
- 100% uptime result
- Good scalability options
- Servers are only in the US
- Response time is quite slow
|Features||Free SSL, cPanel, WHM, WHMCS|
|Best for||All-inclusive and easy to use hosting|
HostGator is a big name in the hosting industry, and with their reseller hosting, you might be able to make at least a small name too. They have an almost perfect uptime and come with all the needed features to run a small-scale hosting business.
- The reseller hosting features include unmetered domains, subdomains, email accounts, and databases.
- As for the control panel, you can create cPanel accounts and share them with the clients— just don’t oversell; otherwise, the performance will suffer. For you, a WHM control panel is there to monitor and optimize server resources. Also, the WHMCS billing software is made available for you to manage clients & billings.
- Also, you can offer an all-rounded service by selling domains and SSLs too.
- With their 500+ video tutorials and 680+ help articles, you will possibly find a solution to most of your queries. If you don’t, 24/7 active, experienced, and knowledgeable customer support is there to help. You can communicate with them through live chat or phone.
Altogether, HostGator has an all-inclusive service to help you start your own business.
HostGator has 3 reseller plans starting at $19.95/mo for Aluminum. Both Copper and SIlver have the same introductory price – $24.95/mo, yet renewal for Silver will be higher. The mentioned prices only apply if you buy the plan for 3 years.
HostGator offers unlimited reseller hosting plans: domains, cPanel accounts, email accounts, and databases are not limited. The only difference lies in the server storage & bandwidth.
- With the Aluminum plan, you receive 60 GB storage and 600 GB bandwidth. This plan can easily handle more than 10 low-traffic basic sites.
- The Copper plan includes 90 GB storage & 900 GB bandwidth, which makes it a good enough choice to sell to about 20-25 low-traffic-generating-site owners.
- The Silver plan, I believe, is their best value. The 140 GB storage and 1400 GB bandwidth it includes makes it an awesome choice to start a small-scale hosting company.
Overall, for the sticker pricing, i.e., 3-year plans, HostGator is an excellent value-for-money reseller. Their Silver package is a no-brainer at the introductory price. The renewal fees look a bit pricey, however.
Check HostGator Pricing Now
I added my HostGator reseller test site to Pingdom and measured the performance over a 2-week period. The uptime was among the best of all the reseller plans I tested. However, the speed could use some improvement.
Talking about the uptime, it remained at the perfect 100%. 0 minutes of downtime here.
Unfortunately, however, the response time wasn’t that great. The average response time measured averaged at 976ms. That’s not terribly awful but could use some improvement for sure.
All in all, HostGator’s performance is good. It is reliable, and the speed is steady, although quite slow.
To summarize, HostGator is a competitive reseller hosting option that includes all essentials. It is also highly reliable, so you will definitely earn the trust of your clients.
- All website hosting reseller essentials included
- Easy to use interface
- 100% uptime result
- Higher fees for short-term subscriptions
- Slower server response times
- Servers are only in the US
|Features||cPanel, SSL, WHM, white-label panel|
|Best for||Flexible hosting for agencies and resellers|
HostPapa offers many reseller hosting plans for various needs. Cheaper plans are great for providing hosting for your developed websites as a freelancer or agency. Meanwhile, high-end plans are excellent for starting your own hosting business.
The offering is pretty standard and straightforward with HostPapa:
- For management, you get Web Host Manager (WHM) panel, while your clients get cPanel. The good thing about the latter is that you can put your own logo to look more professional.
- Unfortunately, billing software is not included in the 2 cheaper plans. That’s why I recommend these not for reselling web hosting but for hosting the websites you’ve built for clients.
- Additionally, you get a bunch of perks – strong security that includes SSL, DDoS protection, firewalls, and domain privacy protection. Private name servers, 2 IP addresses, and domain reselling options are there too.
- As for the support, you have 3 online options to contact – 24/7 phone, email, and live chat. In my experience, the support team was helpful and quick in resolving the problems and answering questions.
In brief, HostPapa’s offer looks very well-rounded with an especially strong focus on security.
You can choose one of the 5 reseller plans HostPapa provides. The cheapest plan costs $29.99/month for one-year tenure. This cost goes to $24.99/month if you buy for 3 years or $39.99/month if you wish to buy monthly. The most expensive plan of theirs cost $119.99/month for a one-year tenure.
All of HostPapa’s plans offer free SSL certificates; just the server resources and the number of allowed cPanel accounts increase.
- Bronze includes 4 core CPU, 2 GB RAM, 50 GB storage, 500 GB bandwidth, and 20 cPanel accounts.
- Silver offers 4 core CPU, and every other number is double the base plan- 4 GB RAM, 100 GB disk space, 1000 GB bandwidth, and 40 cPanel users.
- Gold includes 8 core CPU, 8 GB RAM, 150 GB storage, 1.5 TB bandwidth, and 60 cPanel accounts.
- Platinum comprises of 8 core CPU, 16 GB RAM, 200 GB storage, 2 TB bandwidth, and 100 cPanel accounts
- Titanium comes with 8 core CPU, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB storage, 2.5 TB bandwidth, and 150 cPanel accounts.
Overall, HostPapa’s reseller web hosting plans are a bit on the higher end yet still offer very good value for money.
Check HostPapa Pricing Now
HostPapa results are a bit of a mixed bean bag – it has flawless uptime and pretty disappointing server speed.
During the monitoring, HostPapa remained live at all times, scoring 100% uptime.
As for server response time, it was less than good. It averaged at 976ms. Not the worst result, but definitely needs to improve. Speaking of which… A slight improvement is visible – response times are lower in the second half of the monitoring.
From the performance standpoint, HostPapa is among the most reliable hosts. Although let’s wait and see how much the response time will improve.
All in all, HostPapa has very flexible reseller plans for various needs. It also won’t cause you any trouble when it comes to security and reliability. At the same time, speed leaves some questions unanswered.
- Possibility to put your brand logo on cPanel
- Great options for freelancers and agencies
- Very good customer support
- Slow server response times
- Billing automation is not included in the 2 entry plans
- Relatively low server resources
Best reseller hosting: final recommendations
If you want to start a hosting business or handle multiple client sites, reseller hosting is the most efficient option. Many companies provide reseller hosting, but only a few are good at it.
I tested more than a dozen reseller plans from different companies, and these were the 5 companies that offered the best services:
- InMotion Hosting: one of the cheapest ways to get reseller service, InMotion is also among the best equipped in terms of server resources and features.
- A2 Hosting: best Linux reseller hosting if you’re looking for high-speed and reliable service. A2 Hosting has options on some of the best hardware in the market.
- InterServer: straightforward plans and month-to-month billing makes InterServer one of the most attractive options for those with limited budgets.
- HostGator: if you’re looking for an all-included and easy-to-use reseller hosting option, HostGator has your back. It’s not the cheapest, but resources are generous.
- HostPapa: one of the best options to start your own agency or reseller business, HostPapa has one of the most flexible reseller plans among the competitors.
How to choose reseller hosting?
Choosing reseller hosting is fairly easy if you know what you are looking for. Pricing goes without saying. But, apart from that, some of the fundamental elements to analyze include server resources, performance, uptime, support, scalability, and control panel.
Anyway, if you want to measure the capability or the value for money factor, look for:
Depending on the number of clients you wish to serve, the first thing to look at is server specifications.
- Type: reseller plans are usually based on VPS and Cloud technology, yet you can sometimes see shared hosting offerings, as well. VPS and Cloud will perform better in all cases.
- Disk space: Calculate the needed disk space beforehand. For instance., If your milestone is to sell plans to 30 people at an average of 20 GB disk space, choose a plan with at least 30*20 = 600 GB storage. Moreover, try to get SSD storage because they are faster than the older HDD ones, and people specifically look for it.
- Bandwidth: Most hosting companies mention monthly bandwidth capacity. So, let me explain in that context: Bandwidth is the total amount of data transfer (in GB/month or TB/month) allowed by the server provider. For example, if all the 30 clients expect an average of 10,000 visitors a month, with each visitor downloading/viewing an average of 2 MB content, the bandwidth required will be 30*10000*2 = 6000000 MB or 6000 GB. In short, the more bandwidth you have, the more plans you can sell.
- Memory/RAM: Most reseller providers state the total RAM or RAM per user with their plan. Memory can read & write data way faster than secondary storage (SSD/HDD). Therefore, it’s used to store frequently accessed files so that the user can have them swiftly. For instance, every time a user opens your site, certain scripts need to be accessed for the full experience; such scripts are made available in RAM to save time. Plus, any data a visitor tries to retrieve will be stored on memory from secondary storage if it’s not already there. Meaning, in case there are concurrent visitors, there needs to be enough space on RAM for all. Hence, RAM or memory is a crucial aspect to check.
- CPU: The last thing you need to know about the plan you choose is its CPU configuration – the type of CPU, number of cores, and clock speed. It’s basically the brain of your server. Meaning, it sends and receives signals from and to components to keep everything functional.
Checking the performance of the hosting is vital because you are essentially selling the same thing. Meaning, the result you get by testing the hosting server is the best result any of your clients will get.
Some of the key performance measures are:
- Uptime: Uptime is the time during which the server is operational. Ideally, you want 100% uptime, but the industry-standard guarantee is 99.9%.
- Response time: It’s the time taken by the server to respond to requests made by a web browser. Server response time of under 600ms is recommended.
One of the reasons why reseller plans are cheap is because you will be providing customer support. And to help your clients effectively and quickly, you sometimes need to contact the hosting company you bought the reseller plan from yourself.
Therefore, test their support and look at other customers’ reviews about their support.
“Were they quick to respond?”, “Did they solve the problem?”, “Is the team technically sound?” and “Are there enough ways to get in touch?” are some of the prime questions you need positive answers to.
If your customers like your hosting and your market it the right way, chances are more people will want to buy from you. In that case, you will need a more powerful server(s) to fulfill everyone’s needs.
However, you can’t just buy unnecessary resources because you see the chances of getting more customers, or you see existing customers asking for upgrades. It’s overhead, after all.
Therefore, the wise thing to do is to consider a hosting provider that can easily upgrade or scale your existing plan. This way, you don’t need to spend uselessly.
For your customers, you are the hosting provider because you rebranded using the white-label feature. Hence, you need to act as you manage everything. To achieve that, the company you purchase from gives you some controls, and you need to be aware of those.
- cPanel accounts: You will be configuring and handing a control panel to your customers for them to handle their portion of the server. In most cases, there is a limit to the number of such accounts one can create. For example, InMotion’s base plan allows 25 cPanel accounts— meaning, you can’t sell more than 25 plans on that server.
- WHM: WHM or Web Host Manager is a powerful program that gives you admin access to the server you own/rent. Using it, you can create cPanel accounts, monitor your server, secure your server, and do everything an admin can. Mostly, you get a host manager, but still, check for one.
- WHMCS: Some providers also give free access to software like WHMCS to handle your billings and support. Look for it.
Overall, these are the primary elements to consider while opting for a reseller web hosting provider. Once you have found your ideal host and you looked for it to sell further, don’t forget to brand it properly, set up a trustworthy website with quality support and billing, and market the hell out of it!
Best reseller hosting FAQs
For reseller hosting, clients want as much disk space as they can get. But practically, most small-scale WordPress sites need about 1 GB storage. Due to this contrast, there’s no ideal number. However, calculate the number of clients you will have and the average amount of storage they will need. Multiply both numbers and you have your answer— that’s the least you need.
Reseller web hosting business can be highly profitable. You just need to take care of a couple of things. 1) Find a good reseller provider so your service is top-notch — this will make sure the customers won’t leave. 2) Market & brand your hosting properly to attract customers.
In most cases, you need a white label panel for reseller hosting. If you don’t want the end consumer to know that you are reselling (and keeping a profit, i.e., it’s costing them more), white label is crucial. All the providers I mentioned have the option.
To start a reseller business, as little as $30 per month can work. However, it depends on the number of customers you want. The more you want, the more the resources, service, and marketing costs
What is the best WordPress reseller hosting provider?
All providers on this list offer good WordPress reseller hosting. However, for the best service, I’d look at A2 Hosting Turbo-brand servers that have the optimal setup for fast WordPress sites.