A lagging internet connection is always frustrating, particularly if you’re playing an online game. And since Apex Legends is free to play and is incredibly popular, it’s no surprise that its servers can get overcrowded, which often causes lag.
In addition, some internet service providers (ISPs) may actually throttle your internet speeds, which will make the game even laggier. However, you can bypass these issues and enjoy fast and reliable speeds while playing Apex Legends if you use a reliable VPN.
In this guide, we’ll explain why Apex Legends servers are lagging and how to fix lag on the most popular devices, including PC, Xbox, and PlayStation. So keep reading to find out how to defeat lag for good!
How to fix Apex Legends lag with a VPN
- Choose a secure VPN with fast speeds for gaming – we suggest NordVPN, now 68% OFF.
- Download and install the VPN on your device.
- Connect to a server in a location that’s close to your gaming server.
- Launch Apex Legends and enjoy gaming without lag!
How a VPN can help you fix Apex Legends lag
With more than 100 million players around the world, Apex Legends will usually have tens of thousands of gamers on its servers at any given time. This means that, while you won’t be short of opponents to play, having so many people playing at once can overcrowd the game’s servers, resulting in the game lagging.
Similarly, your ISP could be causing the problem by throttling your internet usage. This happens when your ISP deliberately slows down your internet speeds to manage the traffic on its network.
A top-notch VPN is the perfect solution to these issues because it will give you access to a large fleet of fast, secure servers that are ideal for playing online games, such as Apex Legends. This will allow you to switch to a faster, less congested server, lowering your ping and avoiding a laggy gaming experience.
And, by issuing you with a new IP address and encrypting your traffic, your ISP won’t know what you’re doing online and will therefore be unable to throttle your speeds. These VPN features will also keep you safe from DDoS attacks.
Best VPNs to fix Apex Legends lag
- NordVPN – the best VPN for reducing Apex Legends lag
- Surfshark – fastest speeds for gaming
- IPVanish – great gaming VPN with strong security
Using a VPN is the best way to overcome lag on Apex Legends. And it’s really easy to do! The only slight difficulty is choosing a reliable VPN with a selection of secure servers in locations close to the game’s servers.
To make it easy to find the right one for you, we’ve tested out loads of VPNs and have selected the top 3 that are ideal for fast, secure gaming.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Apex Legends
|🖥️Servers:||5500+ servers in 59 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
If you want to use a VPN to avoid lag while playing Apex Legends, NordVPN is the best possible choice. It has an impressive fleet of over 5500 international servers, including ones based near the game’s servers, such as New York, South Carolina, and London.
NordVPN also provides fast and reliable speeds to deliver lag-free gaming. And it boasts the strongest security features, including unbreakable encryption to keep your online activity completely private.
Plans start from $3.29 per month. And you can enjoy a NordVPN discount with one of our coupons!
To find out more, see our full NordVPN review.
- Huge fleet of secure servers
- Strongest security around
- Fast speeds are ideal for gaming
- Independently audited
- Genuinely helpful customer service
- No dedicated router app
2. Surfshark – fastest speeds for gaming
|🖥️Servers:||3200+ servers in 95 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
If you want a fast VPN to help you guarantee good speeds for playing Apex Legends, Surfshark is an excellent choice. It has over 3200 servers globally, including in locations where Apex Legends’ servers are placed, like Amsterdam, St Louis, and Salt Lake City.
But more importantly, it boasts the fastest speeds we’ve ever experienced on a VPN. And it offers military-grade encryption to hide your online activity and protect your privacy.
Prices start from just $2.30 per month. And right now, you can use one of our limited-time Surfshark coupons for the biggest savings!
For more details, see our in-depth Surshark VPN review.
- Fastest speeds you can get
- Exceptional value for money
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Strong server fleet
- Doesn’t work as well on iOS
3. IPVanish – great gaming VPN with strong security
|🖥️Servers:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||IPVanish coupon 63% OFF|
Whether you want a VPN to prevent Apex Legends from lagging or for any other reason, IPVanish is a great choice. It has over 2000 servers worldwide, including dedicated servers in the same locations where the game’s servers are placed, such as New York, Virginia, and London.
More broadly, this provider also offers robust security, along with fast speeds and unlimited simultaneous connections.
Subscriptions start from just $3.99 per month, and you can check our attractive IPVanish deals to find even more discounts!
If you want to learn more, check out our detailed IPVanish review.
- Tough security
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Reliable speeds
- High-quality servers
- Won’t accept cryptocurrency payments
- Doesn’t work in China
How to fix Apex Legends lag
Because Apex Legends is such a popular game, with over 100 million players worldwide, it’s not surprising that its servers can become overcrowded and congested, which causes lag. Equally, ISPs often throttle speeds on intense usage, such as gaming.
By using a VPN to connect to a fast and secure server, you’ll be able to reduce Apex Legends lag because a VPN’s servers are likely to be much faster and less congested than those used for the game. And even better, a VPN will also encrypt your traffic, so your ISP won’t know what you’re doing and will therefore be unable to throttle your speeds.
This section is full of helpful tips to ensure you avoid Apex Legends lag and get the fastest speeds possible to defeat your opponents.
- Install the latest game version
- Bypass ISP throttling
- Check system requirements
- Update outdated drivers
- Configure game settings
- Improve network speed
- Disable game DVR
- Check Apex Legends server status
1. Install the latest game version
If you’re experiencing any lag or sluggish speeds while you're playing Apex Legends, the first thing to do is to make sure you have the latest version of the game installed on your device. After all, it’s perfectly possible that there has been an update to the game that ensures faster load times and a smoother gaming experience.
To check if you’re using the most up-to-date version of Apex Legends, head to your app store or games library and check if the game requires an update. If it does, install that on your device and see if that speeds up the game.
2. Bypass ISP throttling
As we’ve mentioned, ISP throttling is one of the main reasons that could explain why you’re experiencing lag when playing Apex Legends. After all, your ISP may deliberately slow down your internet to manage the traffic on its network. It will often target particularly intense usage, such as gaming. Therefore, if you’re experiencing lag, this is a likely cause.
To get around this issue, use a secure VPN, such as NordVPN, to connect to a server close to Apex Legend’s servers, and you’ll be issued with a fresh IP address that your ISP won’t recognize. It’ll also encrypt your data so your ISP won’t be able to track or throttle your usage.
3. Check system requirements
To play Apex Legends without lag, you should check that you at least have the minimum system requirements for the game. If you have the minimum system requirements to play the game, but you’re still experiencing lag, it might be worth upgrading to the recommended system requirements instead:
|Minimum requirements||Recommended requirements|
|Operating system||64-bit Windows 7||64-bit Windows 7|
|CPU||Intel Core i3-6300 3.8GHz / AMD FX-4350 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor||Intel i5 3570K or the equivalent|
|RAM||6 GB||8 GB|
|GPU||NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 / Radeon HD 7730||Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / AMD Radeon R9 290|
|GPU RAM||1 GB||8 GB|
|Hard Drive||At least 22 GB of free space||At least 22 GB of free space|
4. Update outdated drivers
Using outdated drivers on your device can make your machine slow down, which will cause lag when you’re gaming. To fix this issue on a Windows PC, just follow these simple steps:
- Hit Start and open up the Device Manager.
- Right-click the Hardware option and choose the Update Driver option.
- Select the option to Browse my computer for drivers and hit Browse.
- Choose the folder with the extracted driver files and click OK.
- Tick the option to Include subfolders and allow the wizard to search for the correct ".inf" file with the instructions to update the driver. Then hit Next.
- This will allow the wizard to scan, find, and install the newer driver on your machine to improve your PC’s overall performance.
Alternatively, you can download drivers from official websites.
5. Configure game settings
If you’re experiencing lag when playing Apex Legends, you can adjust the settings. And while it may seem counterintuitive to lower your frames per second (FPS) rate to fix the problem, it could provide you with a more reliable FPS and a smoother gaming experience overall. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Steam, select Library, and right-click on Apex Legends.
- Select Properties and find the Launch Options field.
- Type in +fps_max 60.
- Relaunch the game and see if the speed has improved.
On the other hand, making changes such as lowering the brightness or screen resolution on your device may help it run a bit quicker, or you could disable some of the game’s settings, such as the option to share your screen.
6. Improve network speed
If you’re experiencing slow internet speeds even when you’re not playing Apex Legends, it could be down to your network. Most game developers recommend aiming for at least 3 Mbps download speed, and 1 Mbps upload speed to avoid lagging.
If you want to know what your upload and download speeds are, you can run a quick network speed checker using a free online tool. If your average speed comes in at lower than this, it might explain why you’ve been having issues with laggy gaming.
To combat the issue, you may need to switch to a faster broadband deal or a different provider to guarantee faster speeds.
7. Disable game DVR
Windows 10 has a built-in Game DVR that records your gameplay in the background. It can also help you capture screenshots so you can share them online. However, this could interfere with your game’s performance, as background recording will take up some of your GPU power. This could lead to lag.
To fix this, open up the Game Bar while you’re on Apex Legends by hitting Windows+G on your keyboard. Then, select the gear-shaped Settings icon on the Game Bar, which will give you plenty of options to tweak the settings. You can even disable the game DVR altogether, which will stop it from taking up any of your GPU’s power.
8. Check Apex Legends server status
If there are any major problems with any of Apex Legends’ servers, they will be flagged on the game’s website and social media. So if you’re suddenly experiencing laggy gaming, it’s always worth checking if it’s part of a wider issue.
To bypass any server issues, use a gaming VPN, like NordVPN, to connect to a secure server close to those used by Apex Legends. This will then enable you to access the game and enjoy fast, smooth speeds.
Why is Apex Legends lagging on your devices?
Like many popular games, Apex Legends is available to play on multiple devices, from PCs and laptops to consoles and mobile phones. And if you’re experiencing laggy gaming on any of your devices, the first thing you should do is use a reputable VPN, like NordVPN, to connect to a less congested server.
However, if you’ve done this and you’re still finding that Apex Legends is lagging, we’ve got lots of device-specific tips and tricks you can try to give your speeds the boost they need.
- Alex Legends lagging on your PC
- Alex Legends lagging on your gaming console
- Alex Legends lagging on your mobile
Apex Legends lagging on PC (Windows, Mac, laptop)
Whether you’re playing Apex Legends on a Windows PC or Apple Mac, you should be able to enjoy a fast and smooth gaming experience. However, if your game is lagging, here are some potential issues that could be causing this and, more importantly, what you can do to fix it:
- You could be low on disk space – delete any unused files or programs to free up some room.
- Your PC may not have the minimum or recommended system requirements for the game – it could be time to upgrade your hardware.
- Your system or driver could be outdated – make sure you’ve checked for and performed all required updates.
- Your ISP could be throttling your internet speeds – use a VPN to get a new IP address and hide your activity.
- Your connection may be slow or unstable – check your internet connection and look into upgrading your broadband.
- You could be gaming on an overcrowded server – switch to a less congested server using a VPN.
Apex Legends lagging on gaming consoles (Xbox, PlayStation)
Apex Legends is incredibly popular among Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4 and PS5 users. But you can still experience issues with lag if you’re playing on a games console. Here are some suggestions of problems and solutions that cause Apex Legends to lag on games consoles:
- You could be playing an old version of the game – check you have updated to the latest version of Apex Legends.
- You may have a poor or unstable internet connection – switch your router on and off or look into getting a better broadband deal.
- You may be experiencing ISP throttling or an overcrowded server – download a VPN and use it to switch servers and hide your online activity.
You should note that most gaming consoles don’t support VPN apps. However, you can get around this by connecting your VPN to your Wi-Fi router so you can use it on all your connected devices.
Apex Legends lagging on mobile (Android, iOS)
Both iPhones and Android devices can experience lagging on Apex Legends. If this happens to you, the first thing to try is to download a strong VPN, such as NordVPN, onto your mobile and use it to connect to a different server. This will help you avoid overcrowded servers and ISP throttling.
If this doesn’t do the trick, here are some other common reasons why your game might be lagging and what you can do to improve your speeds instantly:
- You have lots of other apps running in the background – close all your other apps and stop any other downloads to help your phone run faster.
- You could be playing an older version of the game – check your app store to see if there’s a newer version to download.
- Your internet connection is slow or unstable – connect to your Wi-Fi and stop using your mobile data, as it can be less reliable.
Using a VPN and still lagging on Apex Legends?
If you’re using a VPN to improve your gaming experience, but Apex Legends is still lagging, it could be that your VPN isn’t working correctly at the moment.
Alternatively, it might be due to one of the following problems:
- You may be connected to a server in the wrong location
- You might be using a VPN with a poor reputation, such as a free VPN
- Your server may be congested
- Your VPN may not be able to deliver fast speeds in that region
- Your true IP address may be showing
- Your cookies could be giving away your real location
To remedy these issues, try:
- Making sure you’re connected to a server in the correct location
- Connecting to a different server
- Checking you have IP leak protection enabled on your VPN
- Using a different browser
- Clearing your cookies and cache
- Contacting your VPN’s customer support team
There are few things more frustrating for online gamers than lag. And if you’re experiencing slow and sluggish speeds when playing Apex Legends, it’s most likely that you’re connected to an overcrowded server, or that your ISP is throttling your speeds.
To bypass these issues and speed up your game, the best thing to do is download a secure VPN that’s good for gaming, such as NordVPN. Then, use it to connect to a server that works with Apex Legends, and you’ll be able to play on a much less congested server. And even better, the VPN will hide your traffic so that it can’t be throttled by your ISP.
On top of this, using a VPN is a good idea because it protects your data while you’re online to keep it safe from DDoS attacks.
Has this guide told you everything you need to prevent lag on Apex Legends? If you have any follow-up questions, please contact us in the comments section!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How can I fix Apex Legends lag on my PS4?
If you’re experiencing lag when playing Apex Legends on your PS4, it could be because you’re connected to a congested server, or that your ISP has throttled your speeds. To fix this, use a reputable VPN to connect to a different server.
Why is my Apex Legends server lagging?
If your Apex Legends server is lagging, it’s probably because it’s overcrowded. To remedy this, download a secure VPN, such as NordVPN, and use it to connect to a server in the same location as the game’s servers. This should fix the problem.
How can I fix lag on Apex Legends on my mobile?
If you’re playing Apex Legends on your phone and it’s being laggy, the best thing to do is to download a mobile VPN app, and use it to connect to a secure server in a location that works with the game.
How do I fix Apex Legends input lag?
To fix input lag on Apex Legends, you’ll need to reduce the frames per second (FPS). To do this, open Steam, then go to Library, and right-click Apex Legends. Next, type in +fps_max 60 and relaunch the game. It should minimize any lag and deliver a smoother gaming experience.