How to change your IP address on iPhone
Changing the IP address on your iPhone can be an excellent way to ensure online privacy from third parties, such as website trackers, hackers, or Internet Service Providers (ISPs). It can also help effortlessly bypass regional restrictions on various websites and streaming platforms.
The best and easiest way to get a new IP address is to download a VPN service and connect to a server. Alternatively, you can try out proxies, but only if you’re willing to compromise security. Another popular option is getting a Tor browser, but you shouldn’t expect a fast browsing experience.
To help you out, we made quick guides on how to change your IP address on iPhone devices, be it public or private. You’ll also learn how to choose the right VPN for this and alternative IP address-changing methods.
How to change the IP address on iPhone with a VPN in 4 steps
- Choose a secure iPhone VPN provider. Our top suggestion is NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
- Download the VPN app from the App store and follow the installation instructions.
- Sign up or log in.
- Connect to a server of your choice to change your IP address.
How to find your IP address on iPhone?
The process of finding your IP address on an iPhone device depends on which one you need – the public or private one. The public one is assigned to you by your ISP, while a private IP address belongs to your specific device.
Finding your public IP address on iPhone
Your public IP address is extremely simple to find no matter what device you’re using. Since Google uses it for your approximate location, you can simply enter “What’s my IP address?” into its search bar.
If, for some reason, Google doesn’t display this, you’ll find plenty of other legitimate sites to find your IP address. This includes WhatIsMyIP.com or WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
Finding your private IP address on iPhone
Unlike with a public IP address, you won’t find your private (internal) one on Google. Yet, you won’t have trouble finding it either. Here’s a quick step-by-step guide on where to find your private IP address on iPhone:
- Head to your iPhone’s “Settings” and click on “Wi-Fi.”
- Next to the network you’re currently connected to, you’ll see a lowercase “i” letter that stands for “information.” Tap on it.
- Scroll down to the “IP address” section – that’s your iPhone’s IP address.
Why would you need to change your iPhone IP address?
Changing your IP address on iPhone helps to prevent malicious actors, your ISP, and other third parties from surveilling you. Here’s exactly how you would benefit from changing your iOS device IP address:
- Ensure complete privacy online. Getting a new IP address hides your iPhone’s approximate location from websites that want to track you, your ISP, and even hackers.
- Bypass geo-restrictions. If you change your IP address and get one from another country, you’ll be able to bypass geo-blocks on various platforms, streaming services, and more.
- Stop ISP throttling. Some ISPs limit your connection speeds when doing data-consuming activities, such as gaming or streaming. Changing your iPhone IP address helps avoid speed throttling, letting you enjoy maximum performance.
- Bypass website bans. Some countries restrict access to certain websites, such as torrenting sites or even social media. Changing your iPhone’s IP address lets you access any website freely.
Change public iPhone IP address with a VPN: a detailed guide
Changing your IP address with a VPN is an effortless task. Here’s a detailed guide on how to do it:
- Pick a reliable VPN for an iPhone device. We recommend NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
- Download the VPN app from your Apple app store.
- Launch the app and sign up or log in.
- Choose and connect to a server of your choice.
- You’ve now changed to a new (public) IP address on your iPhone. You can check it out with any IP address checker.
Other methods of changing your iPhone IP address
Using a VPN isn’t the only way to change the IP address on your iPhone. Here are a few other alternatives that you can try:
- Switch to another network. Since public IP addresses are assigned by ISPs, connecting to another network gives you a different IP address.
- Use a proxy. Proxies are similar to VPNs – they’re servers that act as intermediaries between the internet and your computer. Using them gives you a new IP address, but keep in mind that proxies work on the application level only. Plus, they don’t encrypt your personal data, leaving your traffic exposed to your ISP.
- Download the Onion browser. You can use the Tor browser in order to change your IP address as it reroutes your traffic through a worldwide network of servers. You can get it on the Apple App Store for free. Yet, while it encrypts your data to keep you private, it’s extremely slow for everyday browsing.
- Contact your ISP. Your ISP can change your IP address if you request it. That being said, you won’t have it forever, and it will change again with time. Not to mention that the process may take long since you need to wait for customer support answers.
- Restart your modem. It’s not a guarantee that this will work, but if you unplug your modem for a few minutes, you may get a new IP address. The longer you keep it unplugged, the more like you’re going to be assigned a new IP address.
Public vs private IP address on iPhone
There are two types of iPhone IP addresses – public and private. They’re also called external and internal IP addresses. Here’s the difference between them:
- Public IP address – used to communicate with online websites and servers and is assigned to your router by your ISP. As the name suggests, it’s public, so various sites and apps can use it to track you. In fact, you wouldn’t be able to access the internet without an IP address.
- Private IP address – used to identify a specific device on a network. It’s assigned by the router itself in order to help it differentiate between devices and find the correct destination where to send data.
Public IP addresses are paid since you get it when buying an internet service. Meanwhile, private IP addresses are free of charge because the router itself appoints them.
How to change your private iPhone IP address?
You can change your private iPhone IP address in the settings of your device. Here’s a tutorial on how to do it:
- Go to your iPhone “Settings” and select “Wi-Fi.”
- Find the network you’re connected to and navigate to the lowercase “i” letter, and click it.
- Scroll down to find the “IPv4 Address” section that includes your current IP address, Subnet Mask, and Router address. Click “Configure IP.”
- You can select either “Automatic” or “Manual.” In terms of the manual process, you’ll need to enter your new IP address as well as your subnet mask and router address.
How to choose a VPN to change the IP address on iPhone
Choosing a VPN for simply changing your IP address on iPhone isn’t difficult. Whatever reputable service you choose, it will get the job done. However, there are a few things to keep in mind.
For starters, the service you get should be a VPN for iPhone devices specifically. The app should be simple to use, functional, and have the essentials, such as a kill switch, covered.
Another factor worth noting is that the bigger the server fleet, the more IP addresses you can pick from. So look for providers with a huge selection of servers, such as NordVPN, which has 5500+ of them in 60 countries.
A VPN is the best method to change your iPhone IP address since it also gives you extra anonymity online. That’s why you should also make sure that you opt for services that provide you with the powerful AES encryption.
Switching to a new IP address has its benefits when done with a VPN. It prevents third parties, such as your ISP, from taking a peek at your online activities and other private data. Plus, you can even access platforms and streaming sites that are otherwise blocked in your country.
Our best VPN recommendation is NordVPN. It has a huge server fleet of 5500+ servers in 60 countries and provides you with advanced security measures, such as Threat Protection.
As an alternative, you can also change your IP address using a proxy. That is if you’re willing to sacrifice an extra security layer. You can also try using the Onion browser that encrypts your traffic if you don’t mind the very slow speeds.
How do I force my iPhone to get a new IP address?
You can change the private IP address of your iPhone into a new one by going to the “Wi-Fi” section in your iPhone’s settings. Then, you should click the lowercase “i” letter by the network you’re connected to and find the “Configure IP” section. In terms of public IP address, you can change it using a VPN, such as NordVPN.
Does resetting the iPhone change the IP address?
No, resetting your iPhone device has nothing to do with your IP address. Instead, you can change your private IP address manually or use a VPN to change the public one.
Does my iPhone have an IP address?
Yes, every device that is connected to the internet, including your iPhone, has an IP address attached to it. You can find the private IP address of your iOS device in the settings under the information section of your connected network.
How do I hide my IP address on my iPhone?
You can hide your IP address on your iPhone device by getting a VPN, such as NordVPN. It has over 5500 servers in 60 countries, meaning you’ll have plenty of different IP address choices. Alternatively, you can use proxies or the Onion browser. Yet, while the latter option is very slow, proxies don’t secure your data at all.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked